What's new

Highrises and Skyscrapers

PC: Saad Saeed

72222822_2707018782652224_2153559940097114112_o.jpg

KARACHI | Chapal Skymark
What the hell is that mess of containers in the middle?

You are comparing US with Pakistan?
1- people here don't like to live in tall buildings cause they can't construct 2nd or 3rd floor for their kids. This results in expansion of cities.
2- On the other hand tall buildings in mega cities like Karachi cause overburden on already limited water and electric supply.
3- Finally there is limitation on building height from CAA and local administration.

Wrong, it way easier and cheaper than individual house.
If it’s build properly it should have ..,
1) Electricity and Natural has supply with meters
2) water supply with meter
3) Sewage/Black water drainage system
4) reasonably maintenance fee.
5) building Security system and fire alarm system.

Pakistan Way behind in tall building, these kind of buildings were built in 60s and 70s in Chicago.

Karachi is huge, like there are still huge empty places around Karachi. Bay Hawk, Bundal Island, all that malir district where Bahria and new DHA city is being build.

Building highrise buildings isn't exactly cheap plus you need to revamp existing infrastructure to support them.

But as time passes land, especially prime land near Clifton, DHA will become more and more expensive. And with enough demand we will see more and more high rise buildings like Bahria icon.

except your first point (which is also true only for Punjab) both second and third points are absolutely wrong pls do some research before commenting.

horizontal expansions are way more burden then the vertical ones on city managements.
Man, where do you get it? Ever lived in a highrise? Where do you see an overburden?
  1. It's by far easier to have sewage linked up to a single location than, 400 detached houses, many of which will not have it at all, and quietly dump it in a leaky septic tank.
  2. It's by far easier to provide water for 1 tall tower similarly. Moreover, for as long a tower owner wants his wallet not to bleed, he will be imposing proper water metering.
  3. Utilities in a highrise use far less energy than 400 detached houses in a sprawl combined. No need for a pump every kilometre, struggling to pump water through straw thin water pipes. A central aircon can be few times more efficient than regular cheap aircons.
  4. In overall, it takes way less money to provide equivalent amount of comfort to a person in a tower, than a detached house. No alternative opinion on that.
My 1st and 3rd points are correct. I think you should do some research before replying. As for overburden I specifically talked about karachi, not other cities. And yes Karachi has limited supply of water and electricity due to poor governance. Vertical construction works when you have basic facilities available. Half of karachi doesn't have clean water or enough water.
Supreme court put a ben on Skyscrapers cause of the above reasons. I know Vertical construction is extremely beneficial and is practiced in 90% of world. I do know about problems due to over expansion of cities as i have mentioned before. Overexpansion is eating up fertile agricultural land.
Now stop being smart asses and kindly do some research before replying someone.

My 1st and 3rd points are correct.

Now stop being smart asses and kindly do some research before replying someone.
:-)
1- people here don't like to live in tall buildings cause they can't construct 2nd or 3rd floor for their kids. This results in expansion of cities.
Can't people buy 2 or 3 storey apartments?
3- Finally there is limitation on building height from CAA and local administration.
Why not to move the airport if it hampers city's growth?

:-)

Can't people buy 2 or 3 storey apartments?

Why not to move the airport if it hampers city's growth?
1- Pakistani people, Pakistani mentality.
2- Tell this to CAA. Besides moving the airport would cost $$. And currently this is not possible.
New Islamabad airport construction took 15 years. Now imagine the same with jinnah airport karachi (if govt plans to relocate it) while PPP is in govt. It will not happen before 2050.

Back
Top Bottom