What's new

Help wanted!- Micro-controller, Robotics, Zigbee-Please Help!

acetophenol

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello friends,

I have very very limited knowledge about micro-controllers and stuff, anyone with knowledge in those fields please help me

A robot needs to use PIC 16F877A micro-controller and that can be controlled from a laptop using a 2.4Ghz Zigbee.

So how do we program the PIC16F877A using a computer, using C language? How do we interface the Zigbee with the said microcontroller? Is it possible to program the Zigbee using Visual Basic?

Hello friends,

I have very very limited knowledge about micro-controllers and stuff, anyone with knowledge in those fields please help me

A robot needs to use PIC 16F877A micro-controller and that can be controlled from a laptop using a 2.4Ghz Zigbee.

So how do we program the PIC16F877A using a computer, using C language? How do we interface the Zigbee with the said microcontroller? Is it possible to program the Zigbee using Visual Basic?

Guess I can help. But on what basis did u choose the PIC 16F877A IC? I dont know about Zigbee, but need to see.

Why cant u use Arduino? Catch me on gchat buddy

A little bit reasearch told me its a serial interface. RS232 I guess. But u need to read the datasheet carefully which pins are required for the serial interface connections. Or some IC require some ad-on IC for interfacing.

Read this datasheet,
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39582b.pdf

Last edited:
Guess I can help. But on what basis did u choose the PIC 16F877A IC? I dont know about Zigbee, but need to see.

The thing is, its for a friend of mine. We are having our final internal reviews on monday and he met with an accident and certainly won't be able to attend the review on monday. He played around and missed all the previous reviews and therefore will be screwed if he missed out this one, even for a genuine reason. Since, only staff from other departments are gonna be around for the review that day (our department staff are already in our pocket), we are looking for someone else to present the review on his behalf,using his name. I've got to prepare the slides and all I have with me is a few pics of his robo.

I don't know why he chose the said IC, but he is making a 3 wheeled robo with a pick and place arm and a metal detector in it. Arduino works by bluetooth (i guess) and he wanted something that works by radio waves, hence avoided arduino (think so)

The thing is, its for a friend of mine. We are having our final internal reviews on monday and he met with an accident and certainly won't be able to attend the review on monday. He played around and missed all the previous reviews and therefore will be screwed if he missed out this one, even for a genuine reason. Since, only staff from other departments are gonna be around for the review that day (our department staff are already in our pocket), we are looking for someone else to present the review on his behalf,using his name. I've got to prepare the slides and all I have with me is a few pics of his robo.

I don't know why he chose the said IC, but he is making a 3 wheeled robo with a pick and place arm and a metal detector in it. Arduino works by bluetooth (i guess) and he wanted something that works by radio waves, hence avoided arduino (think so)

Bro I had a look at the said IC's datasheet and trust me, its tough for a mechanical guy like you... I advice you not to present the technicalities behind it.. The thing is , if you present the IC's function, questions might be asked like, how many pin IC's, what function, MHz capability, working range, types of pins, pin description (meaning what kinds of things each pin work on), what kinda interface it works on. Seriously if u have just one day, forget it.

A little bit reasearch told me its a serial interface. RS232 I guess. But u need to read the datasheet carefully which pins are required for the serial interface connections. Or some IC require some ad-on IC for interfacing.

Read this datasheet,
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39582b.pdf

Bro, athukum thazhe! Ennaku endha vishayahtil onnume theriyale! Eppadi entha IC ye computeril connect panna mudiyum? Its my understanding that, we place the IC on a motherboard which we can connect to the computer and program using C. Please explain in detail,like you explain to a kid!

Hello friends,

Check this pdf

http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~stsgrimb/teaching/programming_pic_microcontrollers.pdf

Regarding interfaces between PIC micro controller and Zigbee

interfacing-zigbee-to-microcontroller.jpg

circuit-diagram-to-interface-zigbee-with-8051.jpg

Hello friends,

YOu can use assemby language,proteus etc.

For the task you mentioned, Arduino would be very easy, but a bit overpowered. Arduino has all sorts of these addon kits like Wireless, Bluetooth, GPS etc that you can add and program to expand for your purpose.

Like with any microcontroller you need to know which language it will be using. What you will use is a compiler installed on your pc/laptop.......the microcontroller will be detected by that compiler....and then you write that program...and flash it on the microcontroller.

Bro, athukum thazhe! Ennaku endha vishayahtil onnume theriyale! Eppadi entha IC ye computeril connect panna mudiyum? Its my understanding that, we place the IC on a motherboard which we can connect to the computer and program using C. Please explain in detail,like you explain to a kid!

If that said IC , does have a interface Mother Board ( in R&D terms its just called interface) then it should be there in that datasheet. But in my small read there, it doesnt have anything like tha.

You need to buy a general purpose PCB (available in any electrical/electronic shops) solder the IC, study the individual pin description, and choose the 9 pins required for interfacing with RS232. (Datasheet tells its serial interface). And then how it needs to be interfaced with Zigbee, I have less idea of. Cos the Zigbee I guess its a programming language , which u need to control its Digital pins logically for the arms to move and pick.

Check this pdf

http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~stsgrimb/teaching/programming_pic_microcontrollers.pdf

Regarding interfaces between PIC micro controller and Zigbee

interfacing-zigbee-to-microcontroller.jpg

circuit-diagram-to-interface-zigbee-with-8051.jpg

Annae, thambi acetophenol is a mechanical engineer. :P

For the task you mentioned, Arduino would be very easy, but a bit overpowered. Arduino has all sorts of these addon kits like Wireless, Bluetooth, GPS etc that you can add and program to expand for your purpose.

Like with any microcontroller you need to know which language it will be using. What you will use is a compiler installed on your pc/laptop.......the microcontroller will be detected by that compiler....and then you write that program...and flash it on the microcontroller.

Arduino is very easy as you said. Lots of programs are available in net . But the real challenge is designing a circuit for the robot, if they are doing it themselves

If that said IC , does have a interface Mother Board ( in R&D terms its just called interface) then it should be there in that datasheet. But in my small read there, it doesnt have anything like tha.

You need to buy a general purpose PCB (available in any electrical/electronic shops) solder the IC, study the individual pin description, and choose the 9 pins required for interfacing with RS232. (Datasheet tells its serial interface). And then how it needs to be interfaced with Zigbee, I have less idea of. Cos the Zigbee I guess its a programming language , which u need to control its Digital pins logically for the arms to move and pick.

Annae, thambi acetophenol is a mechanical engineer. :P

Arduino is very easy as you said. Lots of programs are available in net . But the real challenge is designing a circuit for the robot, if they are doing it themselves

Bro, i used to do this microcontroller thing with robots when i was 13. If they are engineering students, they should be able to use their reasoning skills....and above all Internet today has tons of information and projects available.

So we connect the IC to a interface and connect it to a pc and program it, right? Is it possible to use C for that?

Zigbee is wireless control module i guess.

rsz_img_4453_-_copy.jpg

^^^Thats the image of the circuits, two rechargeable batteries (black), the motherboard and the IC, 8 relays (two sets of 4 ) on top, another two relay on the lower left ( blue colored) and the zigbee receiver screwed to the motherboard ,seen between the blue colored relay and the motherboard

Bro, i used to do this microcontroller thing with robots when i was 13. If they are engineering students, they should be able to use their reasoning skills....and above all Internet today has tons of information and projects available.

Bro, I had to ask up on an international forum like this just because we are that short of time. The guy who actually made that robo is not in a condition to stand up and talk, and I am trying to help a friend in my best way possible. If you can help, please do. Else, no problem, I appreciate your time and effort.

So we connect the IC to a interface and connect it to a pc and program it, right? Is it possible to use C for that?

View attachment 211632

^^^Thats the image of the circuits, two rechargeable batteries (black), the motherboard and the IC, 8 relays (two sets of 4 ) on top, another two relay on the lower left ( blue colored) and the zigbee receiver screwed to the motherboard ,seen between the blue colored relay and the motherboard
No.
Test your written program via Keil,and proteus,
Then burn program in microcontroller via burner.
You can check your outputs via interface and Matlab.

View attachment 211632

Bro, I had to ask up on an international forum like this just because we are that short of time. The guy who actually made that robo is not in a condition to stand up and talk, and I am trying to help a friend in my best way possible. If you can help, please do. Else, no problem, I appreciate your time and effort.

Hi, i won't be able to help you with the specific code since i don't know the exact thing you are building or trying to do. However, i would suggest go to microcontroller forums, you'll have more help there. But yes, you need a software to interact with your microcontroller. And you will need to know the code to write.....either the assembly language or the C

Hi, i won't be able to help you with the specific code since i don't know the exact thing you are building or trying to do. However, i would suggest go to microcontroller forums, you'll have more help there. But yes, you need a software to interact with your microcontroller. And you will need to know the code to write.....either the assembly language or the C
Matlab can interact microcontroller via DAQ directly.

Back
Top Bottom