What's new

Help me: What do you think about this car?

If a car is two toned, does it mean it has been in an accident or something and they replaced some parts? Or did they sale it new like this for a short period of time or something?

This is what I am probably going to get..

30,000 miles $7000

We might get like $500 or so off to $6500ish.. N also get it inspected n stuff.

IMG_1230001.jpg

IMG_1218001.jpg

IMG_1220001.jpg
Looks decent enough. Get a carfax, if you can. Two-tones are not unusual, many come from the manufacturer that way. But the carfax -- if available -- should flag you for any issues. Get the VIN yourself -- YOURSELF. Then do keyword search 'toyota vin decoder' and start doing some detective work. You can learn much from the VIN. Take a test drive and have a feel. Then -- VERY IMPORTANT -- have someone drive the car while you follow in another vehicle from two car lengths DIRECTLY BEHIND. This is to see if the car's chassis is 'true' as in straight.

Many cars that have been in an accident, especially if it is side impact, may have frame/body damage and straightened in a body shop. These cars are 'unibody' meaning they do not have a true frame or only half-frame. If the frame/body is not properly straightened, as you are behind the car observing it you will be able to it slightly askewed, meaning you can a bit of the front, like how a landing aircraft has its nose pointing in a different direction while going straight ahead. The car's nose will be pointing slightly off to one side. Many lifted trucks that was badly done will be 'crabbing' while going down the road.

Keyword search 'car frame straightening' and 'lifted trucks crabbing'...

Truck "Crab-walks" after lift - Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com
WTF. Heading to the park today for Easter and my MIL was driving behind me. She called my fiancee and after their convo, she mentioned that the truck is driving "crooked"

I called my parents who were driving behind us as well and asked him to speed up and take a look. He confirmed "That ***** is crab walking"

Sooo WTF. I ate then when I got home I ran out and put a tape measure on it. The front seems to be fine but the back measurements were off.

The driver side rear tire to fender measurement is a full 1" longer than the passenger side.
Any vehicle that has frame/body damages repaired is in serious risk of this condition if not done properly. If you see it with this car -- WALK AWAY. Or tell the seller you notice it and offer 1/2 asking price, if you are willing to live with that condition. But DO NOT AGREE TO ASKING PRICE NO MATTER WHAT. Many SUVs that have been in serious off-road activities will have this condition after a while but it will be on the suspension side. For a car, you will need to see it in motion down a straight road to see this condition. It will be on the frame/body and may give you further headaches later. I have seen some cars so crooked that I can see half the tread of a front tire from behind, but the car itself is going straight ahead. Like how an aircraft is in slideslip condition in landing because of a crosswind.

When a car is in a braking condition, mass is transferred forward, putting extra stresses on the front suspension. This is physics. So have the shop pay attention to the front suspension on a used car. If the shocks/struts needs replacement, drop a couple hundreds from the asking price.

Gambit, really great info man! Really appreciate that and will definitely take the advice..:victory::victory::victory:

Leasing a car is a horrible idea, it comes with a load of restrictions and you may have to pay for the damage if any when the lease expires. Buying a used car is always a good option, but not too used one. If you want peace of mind, even if you pay a little more, CarMax is a good option to shop around and stick to the Toyotas and Hondas.

Sir,

Lease is the best thing to happen----people with money lease cars---poor people or average middle class people buy cars.

If a car is two toned, does it mean it has been in an accident or something and they replaced some parts? Or did they sale it new like this for a short period of time or something?

This is what I am probably going to get..

30,000 miles $7000

We might get like $500 or so off to $6500ish.. N also get it inspected n stuff.

Hi,

This actually is a special edition camry----any two tones in camry's and lexus are special editions----are are worth more

Back
Top Bottom