What's new

Head of a Gandharan Man, North-West Pakistan, 2nd Century CE

Talwar e Pakistan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

This superb sculpture depicts a bearded Gandharan man, possibly a great warrior or nobleman. Interestingly, his turban is surmounted by a lion spewing strings of pearls, the lion symbolizes strength and bravery while the strings of pearls symbolize abundance of wealth.

He hails from the country of Gandhara in what is now known as North Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Eastern Afghanistan, though it’s cultural sphere extended far beyond its many valleys. This region was once famed for being a major hub of trade, intellectual capital and center of learning, the birthplace of Greco-Buddhism and a prime seat of the arts and culture. It is from here, that monks fanned out beyond the mountains, bringing the teachings of Buddha to Central Asia, China and as far as Japan and Korea.

If you would like to know more, there is a Pakistani Discord server dedicated to history (and geopolitics), aiming to revive Pakistani history/heritage: shorturl.at/bdq02

Feel free to contact me for any questions.

@Indus Pakistan

This superb sculpture depicts a bearded Gandharan man, possibly a great warrior or nobleman. Interestingly, his turban is surmounted by a lion spewing strings of pearls, the lion symbolizes strength and bravery while the strings of pearls symbolize abundance of wealth.

He hails from the country of Gandhara in what is now known as North Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Eastern Afghanistan, though it’s cultural sphere extended far beyond its many valleys. This region was once famed for being a major hub of trade, intellectual capital and center of learning, the birthplace of Greco-Buddhism and a prime seat of the arts and culture. It is from here, that monks fanned out beyond the mountains, bringing the teachings of Buddha to Central Asia, China and as far as Japan and Korea.

If you would like to know more, there is a Pakistani Discord server dedicated to history (and geopolitics), aiming to revive Pakistani history/heritage: shorturl.at/bdq02

@Indus Pakistan
Love it. Gonna read and savour it later in the evening . And thanks for tagging me.

I recognise this picture @Talwar e Pakistan :enjoy:
Could be me if I made a grumpy face ...

@Indus Pakistan
Link is broken kindly share an updated link

Link is broken kindly share an updated link
It's just a picture;
display

@Indus Pakistan

He looks nothing like malnourished ugly sanghi who claim to be the Aryan race while shitting on railway tracks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom