What's new

Harbhajan Singh became the first man to score back-to-back Test centuries from No. 8

Gentle Typhoon

Reaction score
Harbhajan Singh became the first man to score back-to-back Test centuries from No. 8

124452.2.jpg

A second consecutive ton for batsman Harbhajan Singh

Harbhajan Singh became the first man to score back-to-back Test centuries from No. 8, in the process almost ruling out an Indian defeat, but the New Zealand openers batted out more than an hour without incident. It didn't help India that Zaheer Khan left the field midway into his fifth over.

Before that, though, Harbjajan continued entertaining Hyderabad, adding 105 with Sreesanth, the third-highest 10th-wicket partnership for India. Thirty-six of those came today. Daniel Vettori finally separated them, more than 45 minutes into the day, with one that went straight with the angle, catching Sreesanth in front of off, thus completing a five-for.

Resuming on 85, Harbhajan showed no anxiety whatsoever in trying to get to the hundred. He faced two consecutive overs from Tim Southee, picking three couples into the heavily populated leg side. Then Sreesanth found a single against spin, and Harbhajan welcomed that with a six straight into the sight screen. Even on 98, Harbhajan turned down singles at the start of the over. Batting like a proper batsman, he exploited the tired New Zealand minds, getting there with two easy singles spread over two overs. He celebrated it with another six, and Sreesanth with an edged four. Sreesanth, too, lasted 71 balls, his longest innings in Tests.

Taking nothing away from his stupendous, free-flowing batting, I think he needs to jack up his bowling as well. He's the senior spinner in the side and should be able to finish off a side on the 4-5 day on home grounds.

I think India should drop Raina (Whats his role? Sehwag/Gambhir/Dravid/Sachin/Laxman are all time greats), Dhoni should bat at 6. Harbhajan play as allrounder at 7, India are in dire need of a 5 man bowling attack.

India take series with innings win

124968.jpg

New Zealand 193 & 175 (51.2 ov)
India 566/8d

India won by an innings and 198 runs

If sachin had completed his century then with it , would have been like "sone pe suhaga" still INDIAN TEAM rocks!!! keep it up guys....

I think todays win was an important one...after defeating Australi and S africa..India seemed a little relaxed with new Zealnd in the first test and so it resulted in a draw...this victory should put things back to place...with the better team winning the series.

special effort by Dravid. the class was clearly visible in his batting

I am also happy that seniors are taking well deserved rest before SA & World Cup. Great chance for Yosuf Pathan to capitalize the given opportunity once again. Hope Jadeja is not in the squad for WC. He is such a waste.

Back
Top Bottom