What's new

HAL Tejas vs JF-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sameer25

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Ok, i am am starting this thread because i want a no B.S comparison between the Tejas and JF-17. so here are some of the rules im putting out
1. Only comparison between models that have been produced. no "Future block 5 JF-17 will beat the tejas". so only current best tejas vs JF-17 block 2 or B(idk which one is more advanced).
2.Only facts and no speculation.
3.No going of topic and comparing other places.
4.I just want a unbaised comparison of technology, maneuverability, radar, missles and other plane stuff.
enjoy:)

You should start by posting your own comparison first rather than inviting others to do it for you. Secondly, in its present form the Tejas is a non-player since we keep hearing it is 'nearing FOC' it is perpetually getting nearer only. Finally, the Thunder's current capabilities are unknown. What's publicly available is FC-1specs and high level general info such as refuelling for Block 2. We have videos showing no smoke in the Thunder meaning some tweaks are going on in the background but what are the full implications? Nobody knows.

Needless to say PAF is evolving the Thunder continuously to meet the specific real world threats posed by Indian assets, whereas Tejas is a starry-eyed race towards ego-satisfying perfection with no purpose to it. Given that the likes of GE and Dassault are providing inputs to the program there probably is merit to it, but these companies will never shoot their own foot by giving the Indians the kind of capability that lets them become independent enough to take on real world threats.

One thing is for sure. In a WVR conflict,the Thunder will have energy superiority over Tejas which will either ALWAYS bleed energy in a turning fight. If things reach this stage, the Thunder will win with high probability.

Troll fest about to start now. Don't know why these kinds of threads are even allowed. You can never compare two platforms unless they have similar doctrines, which IMHO is not the case in Ind vs Pak scenario.

One thing is for sure. In a WVR conflict,the Thunder will have energy superiority over Tejas which will either ALWAYS bleed energy in a turning fight. If things reach this stage, the Thunder will win with high probability.

Well I have my doubts in it. The MiG 21 had better turning capability and more power compared to the Mirage III in the Arab-Israeli conflict of the 60s and 70s. But the Israelis managed to out climb and out accelerate the MiG 21s. The JF 17 may have a better sustained turn rate but the LCA has a better instantaneous turn rate. The engine thrust of both the RD 93 and the GE F 404 may be comparable but the Tejas being lighter has more thrust to weight ratio.

And I dont think both these fighters will ever be facing each other in a war. LCA is going to be a point defence fighter in the IAF. Unless PAF opts for trying to enter the Indian airspace with the JF 17 it is not bound to happen.

Well I have my doubts in it. The MiG 21 had better turning capability and more power compared to the Mirage III in the Arab-Israeli conflict of the 60s and 70s. But the Israelis managed to out climb and out accelerate the MiG 21s. The JF 17 may have a better sustained turn rate but the LCA has a better instantaneous turn rate. The engine thrust of both the RD 93 and the GE F 404 may be comparable but the Tejas being lighter has more thrust to weight ratio.

Can you provide us the T/W ratio for Tejas in fully loaded config?

It is around 0.86 when fully loaded.

Well, I am not saying this is completely authentic, since this is wikipedia after all, but could you take a look here and comment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust-to-weight_ratio#Fighter_aircraft

Now admittedly, these are T/Ws with full fuel only. But the point it, once the aircraft takes off with armaments, the fuel keeps burning. Especially with external fuel tanks, the aircraft has the option to drop them before combat begins. If this information is correct, I don't see Tejas holding any advantage over the Thunder.

Well, I am not saying this is completely authentic, since this is wikipedia after all, but could you take a look here and comment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust-to-weight_ratio#Fighter_aircraft

Now admittedly, these are T/Ws with full fuel only. But the point it, once the aircraft takes off with armaments, the fuel keeps burning. Especially with external fuel tanks, the aircraft has the option to drop them before combat begins. If this information is correct, I don't see Tejas holding any advantage over the Thunder.

Well but the numbers don't add up.

Can you please check using a calculator? I calculated using a calculator with 9,500 kg as the weight of LCA. The thrust of the RD 93 is at 86 kn with emergency thrust and GE F-404 is rated at 91 kn in emergency thrust. The gravitational acceleration is 9.8 m/s. The Lift/Drag coefficient is not there anywhere for the JF 17. Can you please run through the calculation again?

Well but the numbers don't add up.

Can you please check using a calculator? I calculated using a calculator with 13 500 kg as the weight of LCA. The thrust of the RD 93 is at 86 kn with emergency thrust and GE F-404 is rated at 91 kn in emergency thrust. The gravitational acceleration is 9.8 m/s. The Lift/Drag coefficient is not there anywhere for the JF 17. Can you please run through the calculation again?

LOLS you're right. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll update the table using 9.8 m/s^2 as value for g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom