What's new

HAL Tejas - An Overview

Faqir M. Abdullah

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This article is based on LCA programme Tejas by HAL,India for the Indian navy and air force.
Programme Base laid in 1969.
Tejas Designed till 1975.
Tejas main role was to replace the MiG-21's in Indian Air Force and Navy.
Manufacturing of the Aircraft started in 1983.
HAL stated that Air Craft would be ready till 1990 and in service in 1995.
The Kaveri Engine was still under development and was not ready even till 1990's.
HAL Delays the project...
The aircraft had it's first flight on January 4 - 2001 with Kaveri engine powering the aircraft.
The Kaveri engine turns out to be complete failure (after 600million of Investment).
During the upcoming years HAL Tejas prototypes go under tests with Kaveri power-plant , however India gives up on Kaveri and imports American F414 engine's for the Tejas.
HAL reports that they will continue to use the F414 engine till the Kaveri Engine is ready.
Tejas shows up in various air shows across India.
Tejas suffers from technical failures throughout.
HAL confirms to have much improved the Tejas, and these days Tejas true final prototype is going under IAF various tests, If these tests are passed, IAF and Indian Navy will buy Tejas to replace the MiG-21's aging fleet.

Statistics :
Unit Cost (Mark 1) : 27 US million dollars.
Project cost : U.S 1.2 Billion
Number built : 14 (Including Prototypes)
Project age : 31 Years
Status : In Development (according to wikipedia) but It is actually being tested by IAF.

For Kaveri Engine Failure please refer to the Article HAL Tejas - A Tragedy

Sources : Wikipedia , Defense sites , Indian media reports.
Article composed by Faqir M. Abdullah and Published on Defense.pk
Air_LCA-Tejas_LSP-01_Test_Flight_lg.jpg

manufacturing of LCA started in 1983? what are you smoking sir? lols.

So what's new to warrant a separate thread for this? All this is old hat.

I'm outta here...

Maybe all the Indians are getting me wrong here , I am not showing HATE towards India through this article , this article is just an overview of the LCA program, and I appreciate India for the effort, they would have earned a lot of experience from all those years of the program.
I am Just a fan on warplanes and that is the only reason I have a DSL connection at my home, so please guys, It's Just a normal article with truth , don't take it as an offense.

Here's Tejas comparison with JF-17 Thunder

All the sources used for Tejas are from Indians (senior Indian members here, Indian Mods, and Professionals etc) and their own statistics. All from credible websites (Charts, official developers of Tejas and their numbers during airshow presentations, test results reported by Indian officials etc.)

I will summarize five really important categories of performance that are critical to a fighter-jets performance and capability. And then we'll move on to other critical aspects.

Tejas

1- Range:
3000km
2- Payload: 3500kg (can be maximized to 3700kg)
3- Combat Radius: 300km to 350 km (with inflight refueling it can be increased upto 1000+ km)
4-Flight ceiling: 50,000ft
5- Speed: Mach 1.6 (can be increased to 1.8 with lighter loads and other variables involved).

JF-17 Thunder

1- Range:
3,840km
2- Payload: 4,000 kg+
3- Combat Radius: 1,352km
4- Flight ceiling: 55,500ft
5- Speed: Mach 1.8

Uptil now, it has been established that JF-17 is a superior fighter aircraft than Tejas when it comes to range, payload, combat radius, and flight ceiling. (While both aircrafts can fly at similar speeds).
JF-17 Thunder can fly much higher than Tejas (a critical factor in air war), can carry more payload, and can conduct operations at much farther distances than Tejas without refueling.

NOTE: I did not use either HAL or PAC's websites. Because I know that these websites aren't updated since many years. And both projects have come a long way since 2007, 08 (when these websites came online with data about both projects).

Lastly, This, in no way, a final version. There are many other critical fields to be looked into--such as avionics, radars, weapon-systems etc.

All the sources used for Tejas are from Indians (senior Indian members here, Indian Mods, and Professionals etc) and their own statistics. All from credible websites (Charts, official developers of Tejas and their numbers during airshow presentations, test results reported by Indian officials etc.)

I will summarize five really important categories of performance that are critical to a fighter-jets performance and capability. And then we'll move on to other critical aspects.

Tejas

1- Range:
3000km
3- Combat Radius: 300km to 350 km (with inflight refueling it can be increased upto 1000+ km)
5- Speed: Mach 1.6 (can be increased to 1.8 with lighter loads and other variables involved).

JF-17 Thunder

1- Range:
3,840km

Uptil now, it has been established that JF-17 is a superior fighter aircraft than Tejas when it comes to range, payload, combat radius, and flight ceiling. (While both aircrafts can fly at similar speeds).
JF-17 Thunder can fly much higher than Tejas (a critical factor in air war), can carry more payload, and can conduct operations at much farther distances than Tejas without refueling.

NOTE: I did not use either HAL or PAC's websites. Because I know that these websites aren't updated since many years. And both projects have come a long way since 2007, 08 (when these websites came online with data about both projects).

Lastly, This, in no way, a final version. There are many other critical fields to be looked into--such as avionics, radars, weapon-systems etc.
We already discussed it @AUz don't put IOC 2 standards here.we will discuss it after FOC

We already discussed it @AUz don't put IOC 2 standards here.we will discuss it after FOC

Hey, when is FOC specifications coming out bro?

Also, FOC specifications would be the "final" product specifications for Tejas MK1, right?

Tejas
1- Range: 3000km

JF-17 Thunder
1- Range: 3,840km

Good read! excellent!! keep it up!! The bigger the bubble better for us.

Back
Top Bottom