What's new

Gwadar is set to replace the Malacca strait

European, African, and Persian Gulf ships will no longer have to pass Malacca straits and South India to send goods to China - they will unload at Gwadar, which is going to be linked to China by a $58 billion dollar railway.

This is a massive development.
Pakistan will effectively control a huge chunk of the world's trade.

It's also now in most of the world's interest that Pakistan can achieve stability and development.

Not happening in our lifetime.

Rather than fantasize about this $58-billion project, it’s better to assess the cumulative impact of the CPEC project. Has it been the game-changer it was touted out to be?

European, African, and Persian Gulf ships will no longer have to pass Malacca straits and South India to send goods to China - they will unload at Gwadar, which is going to be linked to China by a $58 billion dollar railway.

It's also now in most of the world's interest that Pakistan can achieve stability and development.

Translation - we need money

How come no reference to nukes anymore :enjoy:

I never get the idea behind sending goods to china via road/ rail.
Water is always preferred , even the rivers are more cheaper.

Did any1 in Pakistan did Extensive study on how much it will cost to create the Infra/ how much money needed for Repairs in future.
Most imp- Whic goods And in what quantity will be sent to china instead of sea.

And what is the cost of sending these through sea.

I never saw any 3-4 detailed study research on insternet. Is the govt not allowing the study to be published.
Cause theres no way such a big project with such high goals would have started without a detailed project report.
Why would they study ? it is not their money that is being invested :enjoy:

$58 billion loan from China to Pakistan.

With a good interest rate and sovereign guarantee for China.

A few billions in haircut on the first tranche to PDM and our dear establishment.

Remaining $50 billion to create a rail link so that the Chinese can gain access to Gwadar. Secondly, a real threat of Chinese goods flooding Pakistan market tax free, considering smuggling track record on Pakistan borders.

And then the good old Generals can buy a piece of lands dotted either side of the rail network for their DHA projects.

I think the railroad can technically be built, but China should only do it when there’s a representative government in Pakistan.

It’s good that the alignment of the track is on the Middle Eastern side of Pakistan, west of the Indus. With the Raja of Sindhudesh, Zardari, ruling permanantly it’s best to stay clear of him and his demands for a large percentage.
Don't politicise the Rail Link. It's man above mountains, the ultimate image of the spirit and strength of man and the selfless devotion to Pakistan and China by their citizens..

A train can not travel up a mountain or for that matter even hills.

Because train tracks do not offer enough friction to overcome gravitational vector of the incline.

To make a train pass through mountains, you need very very expensive tunnels through the mountains and very expensive bridges over the valleys, to keep the train track level.

If you are not able to recuperate the money you spent building a road through mountains through your transit trade, you will for sure not be able recuperate a much more expensive project, of building a railway line through Himalayas.
Seriously, you seem to be decades behind:-

Instead of completely new Railway line, linkage should be made with the existing railway network. Connect Sinkiang to Mansehra, Then there is existing line between Mansehra to Rawalpindi to Attock to Mianwali and DG Khan and Quetta, then new line from to Quetta to Gwadar. Gauge difference can be adjusted for by using Cranes to lift bogies without wheels or Containers at Sinkiang.

Last edited:
I never get the idea behind sending goods to china via road/ rail.
Water is always preferred , even the rivers are more cheaper.

Did any1 in Pakistan did Extensive study on how much it will cost to create the Infra/ how much money needed for Repairs in future.
Most imp- Whic goods And in what quantity will be sent to china instead of sea.

And what is the cost of sending these through sea.

I never saw any 3-4 detailed study research on insternet. Is the govt not allowing the study to be published.
Cause theres no way such a big project with such high goals would have started without a detailed project report.
its contingency route if Americans are blocking oil and trade for China by choking the Malakka strait.

US navy is too strong

but now, China can the at least some oil and trade but not like ULCC/VLCC tankers ships capicity.

Well, lets look at the approx trade China has with the countries and regions which could use CPEC instead of the slow sea routes. As shown below this is currently approximately $700 billion a year and will most likely increase to over a $1Trillion annually. This excludes any CPEC Indian trade should India decide to partner up for regional prosperity. It's a win win for Pakistan and China and the regional countries participating in CPEC trade.

If Pakistan charges 10% CPEC fee for the train transport of goods, that would equate to approximately $100 billion annually into the Pakistani coffers (which would grow over time) and excludes other direct benefits from CPEC resulting from investment, jobs, manufacturing, trade, exports, tourism etc. and excludes the indirect benefits of regional connectivity, cultural relationships, knowledge and skills transfers etc.

I am sure Pakistan gov can do more detailed research and calculations
to show CPEC train link is a great investment.

"Trade between China and Africa surged last year to a record US$282 billion – an 11 per cent year-on-year increase bolstered by soaring commodity prices, China's reopening and Beijing's recent push to boost imports from Africa."

"Iran's non-oil trade turnover with China amounted to US$25.3 billion, during the first 10 months of the current Iranian year (March 21, 2022 through January 20, 2023). China ranks first in Iran's non-oil trade over this period."

"In 2021, Turkey exported $3.79B to China. The main products exported from Turkey to China were Marble, Travertine and Alabaster ($617M), Iron Ore ($216M), and Borates ($200M). During the last 26 years the exports of Turkey to China have increased at an annualized rate of 15.4%, from $91.7M in 1995 to $3.79B in 2021."

"21 Apr 2022 — China is Arab countries' main bilateral trade partner, with figures amounting to $330 billion in 2021. This does not take into account ..."

Not happening in our lifetime.

Rather than fantasize about this $58-billion project, it’s better to assess the cumulative impact of the CPEC project. Has it been the game-changer it was touted out to be?
Travel to Pakistan and see for yourself, rather than sit on your backside and spout your colonial racist crap.

Travel to Pakistan and see for yourself, rather than sit on your backside and spout your colonial racist crap.

I traveled to Pakistan in 2010 and saw the strain on the infrastructure with rolling black outs many hours per day. I went back in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022 and saw the differences which I assumed came from the Chinese investments. Blackouts went away, infrastructure improved. The U.S. actions destabilized Pakistan due to the war next door and Chinas action stabilized the country. The Chineses have helped.

That is what you want us to think.

Hold a fair election and lets actually see the result.
Why are you talking to me like I'm the CEO of the establishment? Take your meds, go outside, touch grass, and talk to some women.

I personally am indifferent to federal politics and elections, because Karachi is always neglected and looted, whether it be by PTI or PDM.
Yes that is why meeting with Husain Haqqani is okay.

So the message you are giving is that a party has to threaten secession and then it won't be bothered?

That was tied to the whole Shazia Khalid thing.
PPP doesn't need to threaten secession. As I said, Sindhis are polarised people who either support PPP or separatists. If PPP is removed, who do you think will fill the power vaccum?

2007 me bhi yahi suna tha

Route to Turket via Kazakistan is more stable than pak
If China is able to mediate Iran , GCC relation then also it can use wakhan corridor and reach midddle east via Iran

You point only makes sense when eastern europe , russia , iran become / remain unstable

Wah wah kia bt hy
Bacha paida ni hoa aur yahan Birthday celebrate ho rhi hy

A train can not travel up a mountain or for that matter even hills.

Because train tracks do not offer enough friction to overcome gravitational vector of the incline.

To make a train pass through mountains, you need very very expensive tunnels through the mountains and very expensive bridges over the valleys, to keep the train track level.

If you are not able to recuperate the money you spent building a road through mountains through your transit trade, you will for sure not be able recuperate a much more expensive project, of building a railway line through Himalayas.
Oh no, the Chinese forgot to consult Indians on the internet before proposing a project worth three times more than India's entire railway budget.

They live rent-free in your head

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom