What's new

Gravitational waves announcement: Scientists confirm detection of ripples in spacetime

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
Scientists say that the discovery is the biggest of the century — far more important than that of the Higgs boson

Gravitational ripples in the fabric of spacetime, first predicted by Albert Einstein 100 years ago, have now been detected by scientists who believe the discovery opens new vistas into the “dark” side of the Universe.

Physicists around the world confirmed that they had detected unambiguous signals of gravitational waves emanating from the collision of two massive black holes 1.5 billion light years away in deep space.

As the two black holes spiralled into one another in a violent collision that was over in a second, immense amounts of matter were instantly converted into energy, which sent shock waves travelling through space for 1.5 billion years until they were picked up by gravitational-wave instruments on Earth.

Read more

Gravitational waves find could let scientists build a time machine

The detection of gravitational waves not only confirms Einstein's general theory of relativity, it amounts to the first direct detection of a pair of colliding black holes, the mysterious structures in space that are so dense they exert a gravitational force from which nothing —not even light — can escape.

One senior British physicist described the breakthrough as the greatest scientific discovery so far this century. It is, he said, bigger than the discovery of the Higgs boson because of its ramifications for our basic understanding of the Universe and the possibility it creates for new ways of observing the hidden regions of space.

Two sets of super-sensitive instruments in two American observatories both detected the same sub-atomic movements in the spacetime continuum — the mathematical model that weaves space and time into a single entity — caused by the gravitational waves as they passed through the Earth.

@Levina @Skull and Bones @anant_s @everyone

with reference to the article and the vid above i have these points :

1. i don't believe in the existence of "space-time" and other such stuff... they are just human mathematical constructs that have no validity in nature... these particular people talk of "gravitational ripples" taking for granted the existence of "space-time".

2. could the so-called gravitational ripples simply be some kind of gas molecule electrical effect that origined in the unification of the two black holes??

3. is einstein always right??

4. the "listening to universe" thing would simply be attaching a speaker to the photometer assembly and the speaker will simply produce sound based on variation of the electrical input and we interpret this on our terms... this has been done before with the sun and with the earth's rotation i think and also i think with the seti project.

5. most americans are so bad with analogies... i couldn't understand his talk of using ligo to measure distance between the sun and the next star system ( alpha centauri system ). :lol:

6. time machine?? really??

Shockwave of the big bang?

no, a collision of two black holes... he says each was of 150 kilometer diameter.

as for big bang, no one knows of its form... it is all guesses, as far as i know.

LIGO research is carried out by the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC), a group of more than 1000 scientists from universities around the United States and in 14 other countries. More than 90 universities and research institutes in the LSC develop detector technology and analyze data; approximately 250 students are strong contributing members of the collaboration. The LSC detector network includes the LIGO interferometers and the GEO600 detector. The GEO team includes scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute, AEI), Leibniz Universität Hannover, along with partners at the University of Glasgow, Cardiff University, the University of Birmingham, other universities in the United Kingdom, and the University of the Balearic Islands in Spain.

http://www.ligo.org/news/detection-press-release.pdf

The announcement was made simultaneously with an announcement in Italy.

FEBRUARY 11th: Scientists to provide an update on the search for gravitational waves - Advanced Virgo

1. i don't believe in the existence of "space-time" and other such stuff... they are just human mathematical constructs that have no validity in nature... these particular people talk of "gravitational ripples" taking for granted the existence of "space-time".

2. could the so-called gravitational ripples simply be some kind of gas molecule electrical effect that origined in the unification of the two black holes??

4. the "listening to universe" thing would simply be attaching a speaker to the photometer assembly and the speaker will simply produce sound based on variation of the electrical input and we interpret this on our terms... this has been done before with the sun and with the earth's rotation i think and also i think with the seti project.

5. most americans are so bad with analogies... i couldn't understand his talk of using ligo to measure distance between the sun and the next star system ( alpha centauri system ). :lol:

no, a collision of two black holes... he says each was of 150 kilometer diameter.

as for big bang, no one knows of its form... it is all guesses, as far as i know.
Science is 90% based on such assumptions buddy :D

The big bang is defined as the event which resulted in the creation the universe

Science is 90% based on such assumptions buddy :D

yeah, like the "nine planets only" thing from which any deviation in school tests would result in marks cut. :D

The big bang is defined as the event which resulted in the creation the universe

that is so, but i really don't see why we should be obsessed or worried about knowing at the moment how the universe was born or thundering with authority that some "big bang" took place 13.8 billion years ago.

we should be obsessed really about establishing human settlements on mars by 2025 and travel in the asteroid belt one year hence... and we should be obsessed about establishing among all humanity the most scientific and simplest political system.

In regards to your first point, it is certainly an interesting conjecture however could you please cite one cosmological or experimental observation to support your supposition.

Thanks for the tag though i did not receive any notification.
r1jpuibgmqiqqdncxwgp.gif

I read that during the peak of their cosmic collision, it is estimated that the power of output of collision was 50 times that of the entire visible universe.

you know, the discovery has statistical significant of 5.1 sigma, which means there's only a 1 in 6 million chance that the result is a fluke. I also read that when those ripples get to us on Earth, they're tiny (around a billionth of the diameter of an atom), which is why scientists have struggled for so many years to find them.

Gravitational.png

In regards to your first point, it is certainly an interesting conjecture however could you please cite one cosmological or experimental observation to support your supposition.

at the moment i can't think of one, but given time i could find... but my point is these mathematicians in guise of astronomers have not provided one simple-to-understand cosmological or experimental observation to support their claim of existence of "space-time" and possibility of time-travel.

that is so, but i really don't see why we should be obsessed or worried about knowing at the moment how the universe was born or thundering with authority that some "big bang" took place 13.8 billion years ago.
Big Bang is not a one-time event but an ongoing process.

bb_theory.jpg

I read that during the peak of their cosmic collision, it is estimated that the power of output of collision was 50 times that of the entire visible universe.

but how come that precise number??

you know, the discovery has statistical significant of 5.1 sigma, which means there's only a 1 in 6 million chance that the result is a fluke. I also read that when those ripples get to us on Earth, they're tiny (around a billionth of the diameter of an atom), which is why scientists have struggled for so many years to find them.

Gravitational.png

5.1 sigma?? i don't know about this metric or how reliable it is, but as you say, this whole excitement could have origined in a simple fluke.

again, you mention these ripples but am i correct in saying that their theory of existence is not in experimentation or observation but in mathematical equations??

am i correct in saying that their theory of existence is not in experimentation or observation but in mathematical equations
That is what has been proved...the physical presence of such waves in the universe and that these waves carry a lot of info in them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom