What's new

Govt offers Kayani two-year extension

sonicboom

Reaction score

Sunday, February 14, 2010

By Absar Alam

ISLAMABAD: The government has asked General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani to accept an extension in his tenure as Chief of Army Staff for another two years. The verbal offer was made to sound out General Kayani whether he would agree to or turn it down.

The move has been made to ensure continuity in Pakistan’s policy on the war on terror and it also has a nod from Washington as the Army has achieved remarkable successes in the war on terror under General Kayani’s command.

General Kayani has not yet given his consent and is considering this offer, it was learnt.

The offer of extension has come at a time when battle lines for a second round have been drawn between the government and the judiciary. It was learnt that the Army has communicated its decision to all stakeholders that it would prefer not to be seen taking sides.

According to the sources, the extension in service cases of Chief of Army Staff General Kayani, Chief of General Staff Lt-Gen Muhammad Mustafa Khan, and DG ISI Lt-Gen Ahmad Shuja Pasha are ready to be sent to the prime minister and the president for approval.

The ministry formed the recommendations on the basis of a consensus that emerged within Pakistan and outside after military’s successes in Swat, South Waziristan and other Fata areas.

Although, the DG ISI has already given his consent to accept the extension, the cases of General Kayani and Lt-Gen Mustafa are still pending. Knowledgeable sources claim that General Mustafa, who retires in October this year, will accept the extension if only General Kayani decided to stay. Washington, which has already given an extension to its Centcom Chief General David Petraeus, has supported this move by Islamabad as it believes that such an extension would ensure continuity in Pakistan’s policy towards the war on terror.

The decision is linked to the resolution of the ongoing confrontation between the judiciary and the government and the constitutional package that would ensure the supremacy of parliament vis-i-vis the president. The problem with Pindi establishment is that Washington is not comfortable with the perception of Zardari government’s governance style which is being equated with the corrupt Karzai administration in Kabul.

“The US is not comfortable working with two corrupt administrations in two neighbouring countries which are at war with terrorists,” the sources said. The sources claimed that the establishment had no axe to grind and was making sincere but quiet efforts to play the role of a firefighter to end the confrontation between the executive and the judiciary.

Extension to Chief of Army Staff General Kayani plus Lt-Gen Muhammad Mustafa Khan and 71 continuation to its pure form (parliamentary system with strong PM) with independent SC will be good for Pakistan and its friends = :pakistan: :china: :usflag:

i think thats probably one good thing that Mr.10% did!

^^^ with US twisting his arm else he would have going for fishing to find a friendly General helping him in his good deeds:lol:

Hum, Zardari regime is trying to have the General on its side so it could take care of the honorable Chief Justice and the powers of the Supreme Court. Things are getting more and more interesting as the time is passing by. I think Zardari regime is again miscalculating here; this offer 'bribe' may backfire and cost them dearly.

Hum, Zardari regime is trying to have the General on its side so it could take care of the honorable Chief Justice and the powers of the Supreme Court. Things are getting more and more interesting as the time is passing by. I think Zardari regime is again miscalculating here; this offer 'bribe' may backfire and cost them dearly.

u may be right but according to army regulations, only a 1-yr extension can be given which i support and have been writing abt on this forum - Gen.Kiyani would IMO accept a 1-yr extension as per army regulations.

u may be right but according to army regulations, only a 1-yr extension can be given which i support and have been writing abt on this forum - Gen.Kiyani would IMO accept a 1-yr extension as per army regulations.

Can it be reextended after one year. Although I belive our organisation has some other talented genrals who can become good COAS as always is the case but with mr 10 % in power it would probably be a yes sir man.

Can it be reextended after one year. Although I belive our organisation has some other talented genrals who can become good COAS as always is the case but with mr 10 % in power it would probably be a yes sir man.

NO

the other option is to give the general a new 3-year term - that i think is possible.

I also fully support General Kiyani's extension; Army has regained its respect among Pakistanis under his able command. But knowing Zardari Party's politics, I don't think he made this offer out of his good heart or in the greater interest of Pakistan. He is trying to use it as a bargain at the same time he wants to develop some soft corner for himself in increasingly weary Army's circle. His attempt of over-riding CJPs recommendation has already backfired, and his next attempt to trying to appoint some 'Jiala' COAS may cost him his post or even life and he knows that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom