What's new

Government to provide $1 billion to every chip maker who sets up manufacturing unit in India.

This video belongs here. If chip fab in India, for mobile and PC are being considered , its not going to happen in at least 15-20 years even if we start tomorrow. Fab for lesser use but still highly valued products like cars, washing machine, refrigerator etc can be done however. Even China failed in chip fab.

and this particular lithography machine, will probably never be built in India

Last edited:
How many Indian cellphone mfrs. actually make cellphone circuitboards in India? Or screens for that matter. I know of at least two in Bangladesh....

A nation of 1.4 Billion that cannot use its own SMT/SMD pick and place machines to make cellphones and is dependent on Chinese subassemblies (including screens) to make cellphones is in no position to boast of technology.

Almost all Indian Chip designers are working for Qualcomm, Broadcom, Intel, AMD et al. I know quite a few Bangladeshi folks in that field too.

India needs backing from local investors to set up FABs and these fly by night Banyas will not do it, like @jamahir bhai said.

90% of the top 5 cellphones sold in India are Chinese brands. Barring Samsung. Is that a badge of honor for India?

That old picture of the Chandigarh research facility is just that, a research facility, it is not a large scale fab. I also heard sometime back that the Chandigarh facility may have burned down.

Useless waste of bandwidth of Bhakt lies and countering these lies.
Micromax have three factories - Bhiwadi (Rajasthan), Rudrapur (Uttarakhand) and Telangana. In Bhiwadi, the SMT (surface mount technology) line is already operational and trials are running in Rudrapur.

How many Indian cellphone mfrs. actually make cellphone circuitboards in India? Or screens for that matter. I know of at least two in Bangladesh....

A nation of 1.4 Billion that cannot use its own SMT/SMD pick and place machines to make cellphones and is dependent on Chinese subassemblies (including screens) to make cellphones is in no position to boast of technology.

Almost all Indian Chip designers are working for Qualcomm, Broadcom, Intel, AMD et al. I know quite a few Bangladeshi folks in that field too.

India needs backing from local investors to set up FABs and these fly by night Banyas will not do it, like @jamahir bhai said.

90% of the top 5 cellphones sold in India are Chinese brands. Barring Samsung. Is that a badge of honor for India?

That old picture of the Chandigarh research facility is just that, a research facility, it is not a large scale fab. I also heard sometime back that the Chandigarh facility may have burned down.

Useless waste of bandwidth of Bhakt lies and countering these lies.

Almost al mfgrs have set up SMT in their factories in India.Mostly chinese and korean companies. Dont know about apple. Indian mnfgrs also like intex, micromx and karbonn have SMT in local factories, but their products no where cutting edge as the chinese ones
Btw, incase you didn't know.

Scam industry in India is probably twice as much. Workers might be low compared to 600k but damn, they are efficient scammers.

just fyi, TSMC plans to invest 100B$ over the next three years(and thats just production). And thats, just TSMC, do you see how insignificant you lot are in comparison? That was the point.

The India goal is not to produce chips for laptop or mobiles rather for cars, washing machine and products like those things. The investment is not the same as setting up 4-5 nm taped processors. even 60-20 nm will do.

Almost al mfgrs have set up SMT in their factories in India.Mostly chinese and korean companies. Dont know about apple. Indian mnfgrs also like intex, micromx and karbonn have SMT in local factories, but their products no where cutting edge as the chinese ones

Please post some videos.

post#63 discuss about micromax SMT with video, i dont have videos of intex and karbon, but only news report. Rest all chinese brands have set up SMTs in Indian factories.
unrelated but

@jamahir send your proposal yoo

Well, I am confused by this :
"The government will give cash incentives of more than $1 billion (roughly Rs. 7,340 crores) to each company which will set up chip fabrication units," a senior government official told Reuters, declining to be named as he was not authorised to speak with media.
1. Will one billion dollars be enough to set up a fab ?

2. What is the point of multiple fabs ? I think TSMC has one fab in Taiwan, Samsung has one in South Korea. Does the Indian government wish to go the Intel way which has four fabs in USA ( according to Google ).

@swnjo @Arulmozhi Varman

Back
Top Bottom