What's new

Google is your best friend..... and enemy?

Paitoo

Reaction score
Country
India
Any 40 something members here? Oldies by todays standards? Dealing with mid life crisis?

Like most people who grew into the internet in their adult life (unlike those who were born into it), I have to admit I have found answers to many mundane things on Google.

Yet, as practitioners of SEO will know, you can find virtually anything to contradict or confirm your opinion on Google. Type 'Do I have symptoms of lunacy' on Google. and it will turn out that you are a lunatic. Vice versa if you search for symptoms of high IQ behaviour. Online information conditions you into believing that a certain way of life is the correct (or most common) way of life, and paradoxically, even that completely deviant behaviour is normal. The tussle between these polar opposites tears you apart, especially when you are at a stage in life when you are highly perceptible, having cut through a lot of bull shit. Extreme opinions are very tantalizing at this age. Google or no Google.

But at heart you just want to tell every other person to shut the **** up and mind his own business. It is not easy. A part of me says that I should sprint 5 kms every morning, another part says to show the middle finger. A part of me says that life begins at 40, another part says that my best years are behind me and I should settle for a life of compromise.

Any wise minds here who are going through similar "asmanjas" (conundrum) in life?

@SIPRA @waz @peagle @-=virus=- @Maula Jatt @lastofthepatriots @_NOBODY_ @N.Siddiqui @MH.Yang @Indos @VkdIndian @KedarT @Black Tornado @hembo @villageidiot @StraightEdge

Except for @SIPRA paaji I don't know how old the rest of you are, so maybe this is completely out of place for most of you.

In the long run Google can make you find truth

Truth cannot be hiden anymore by dissinformation.

Before, I see on Google that Eye cat nebula is not real picture of Nebula (said one Christian website)

Nebula is the picture when the star is in destruction, so the narrative is inline with Quran verse talking about Armagedon. As Armagedon has already happened in other galaxy

1666959929724.png

Then with the new Telescope from NASA, IT SHOWS THAT NEBULA IS INDEED LOOK LIKE THAT

Any 40 something members here? Oldies by todays standards? Dealing with mid life crisis?

Like most people who grew into the internet in their adult life (unlike those who were born into it), I have to admit I have found answers to many mundane things on Google.

Yet, as practitioners of SEO will know, you can find virtually anything to contradict or confirm your opinion on Google. Type 'Do I have symptoms of lunacy' on Google. and it will turn out that you are a lunatic. Vice versa if you search for symptoms of high IQ behaviour. Online information conditions you into believing that a certain way of life is the correct (or most common) way of life, and paradoxically, even that completely deviant behaviour is normal. The tussle between these polar opposites tears you apart, especially when you are at a stage in life when you are highly perceptible, having cut through a lot of bull shit. Extreme opinions are very tantalizing at this age. Google or no Google.

But at heart you just want to tell every other person to shut the **** up and mind his own business. It is not easy. A part of me says that I should sprint 5 kms every morning, another part says to show the middle finger. A part of me says that life begins at 40, another part says that my best years are behind me and I should settle for a life of compromise.

Any wise minds here who are going through similar "asmanjas" (conundrum) in life?

Except for metaphysical aspects of existence, I generally apply logical or rational methods for worldly matters. Internet can offer a multitude of opinions, but ultimately it is our own choice to choose one. Certain areas remain confused or vague. There, the best course, in my opinion, is to remain agnostic, till a proper resolution. It is, in any case, beyond human capacity to know everything. Our brain is not geared and equipped for that. It has severe limitations.

"Dil mutt ganwa, khabar na sahi, saer he sahi"
(Ghalib)

Facebook knows where you've been,Youtube knows what you like and Google knows what you think.

And all these three are connected.

My point is that I do look towards Google (and in turn the internet) to find answers to many questions in life, strange as it may seem. On first glance it may seem a bit frivolous, but the fact is that the world is on the internet, and therefore so are many great and poor ideas. I sometimes feel I am learning too much, and paradoxically that a lot of this knowledge is immaterial. This wouldn't have happened if knowledge and its dissemination were limited. One feels a sort of saturation and comes out none the wiser.

Except for metaphysical aspects of existence, I generally apply logical or rational methods for worldly matters. Internet can offer a multitude of opinions, but ultimately it is our own choice to choose one. Certain areas remain confused or vague. There, the best course, in my opinion, is to remain agnostic, till a proper resolution. It is, in any case, beyond human capacity to know everything. Our brain is not geared and equipped for that. It has severe limitations.

"Dil mutt ganwa, khabar na sahi, saer he sahi"
(Ghalib)

Why do you think that the human brain, for all its evolution compared to other species, is still unable to solve the most basic mysteries of life? Should we consider ourselves so superior then? Or just merely more adept at surviving compared to other animals? Are we way down in the scale on an absolute basis? And simply smug in our success on the relative scale?

The thing is that our understanding of existence will not change dramatically even over longer periods of time. So in a sense, we are sort of stuck on a slowly upwards sloping curve. Progressing, but not enough, until we reach that inflexion point. Every once in a while a civilization thinks it has reached that inflexion point, but it is mistaken. Maybe the truth is a constant, always present, but we are unable to grasp it, and will never be able to. We are no better than insects, just have more feelings.

Why do you think that the human brain, for all its evolution compared to other species, is still unable to solve the most basic mysteries of life?
I have no logic. But, it is my belief that human being would never be able to grasp the reality of even the perceivable existence. Unperceivable existence, if any, is obviously out of scope. Though knowledge base of human beings, or it's evolutionary descendent, again if any, would keep on increasing with time. But the knowledge achieved would always remain X versus infinity.

For the last about full century, we have been unable to comprehend and interpret the counterintuitive behavior of quantum entities like electrons, photons, quarks etc. etc.

Are we way down in the scale on an absolute basis?

Yes, we are. That is what I believe. Because, our existence is not real, but virtual and dreamlike. A transient existence cannot be real.

The thing is that our understanding of existence will not change dramatically even over longer periods of time. So in a sense, we are sort of stuck on a slowly upwards sloping curve. Progressing, but not enough, until we reach that inflexion point.

Our understanding will change dramatically with time, from our own perspective; but it would never come close the absolute reality. It is as if one travels billions of light years, but the destination is at an infinite distance.

Every once in a while a civilization thinks it has reached that inflexion point, but it is mistaken. Maybe the truth is a constant, always present, but we are unable to grasp it, and will never be able to.

That is what I believe. You have put it more precisely, than I could, because you are far more articulate than me. That is possibly the result of "phatta maarka" schools, in which I go my basic education. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We are no better than insects, just have more feelings.

I don't know. But it is not merely feelings; we have far far higher analytical abilities and faculties than the highest of the animals, on evolutionary scale.

That is what I believe. You have put it more precisely, than I could, because you are far more articulate than me. That is possibly the result of "phatta maarka" schools, in which I go my basic education. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are by no stretch of imagination the product of such schools. And if you are, we should have more such schools :)

You are by no stretch of imagination the product of such schools. And if you are, we should have more such schools :)

What I said is a fact. I did my matriculation from a school, which had no school room, during our 9th grade. We were taught, in open, under shades of trees.

Dear lord, where does one even begin answering... :hang3:

I'm also just past that dreaded milestone

more than, or perhaps, very different to a 'crisis'.. for me, is "where do we go from here ?" Without going into any details, I always chose the path less beaten.. or, it just ended up happening that way.

I have googled at times, looking to the solutions to many of my life's problems but end the end you got to work it out yourself, using your own buddhi/chitta

^which is one way to look at it, not promoting a religion or anything.

A good idea is to, if and when you can, to get away from it all.. go somewhere in nature.. not just a weekend getaway from a 5hit tonne of people looking to party and frolic, but for some quiet contemplative time away from your usual work (job/business/whatever it might be) routine.

What works best is going for a ride in the wilderness, man and machine, you, the road, pistons firing on all cylinders.. camp out in nature with like minded folk, music, guitars (never too late to learn), bbq, beers, campfires.. that sort of.. fvck the world, take a break.

1666964566108.png

or maybe it's just travel (hop on a bus/train/plane), or cooking, or photography, gardening, video games even lol.. something to help break the monotony of the grind.

Life gets harder as you age, some R&R is essential.

What I said is a fact. I did my matriculation from a school, which had no school room, during our 9th grade. We were taught, in open, under shades of trees.
I do not dispute that. My reference was to the symbolism of 'phatta marka'. Studying in classrooms is a very recent development, in the last 200 years or so. All places of education in the sub continent before that were open ones. Suffice to stay, we weren't lacking in the intellectual department ever due to the lack of roofs and walls :)

Dear lord, where does one even begin answering... :hang3:

I'm also just past that dreaded milestone

more than, or perhaps, very different to a 'crisis'.. for me, is "where do we go from here ?" Without going into any details, I always chose the path less beaten.. or, it just ended up happening that way.

I have googled at times, looking to the solutions to many of my life's problems but end the end you got to work it out yourself, using your own buddhi/chitta

^which is one way to look at it, not promoting a religion or anything.

A good idea is to, if and when you can, to get away from it all.. go somewhere in nature.. not just a weekend getaway from a 5hit tonne of people looking to party and frolic, but for some quiet contemplative time away from your usual work (job/business/whatever it might be) routine.

What works best is going for a ride in the wilderness, man and machine, you, the road, pistons firing on all cylinders.. camp out in nature with like minded folk, music, guitars (never too late to learn), bbq, beers, campfires.. that sort of.. fvck the world, take a break.

View attachment 890146

or maybe it's just travel (hop on a bus/train/plane), or cooking, or photography, gardening, video games even lol.. something to help break the monotony of the grind.

Life gets harder as you age, some R&R is essential.

I think the key is to indulge in small doses. When it goes on for too long, it becomes an escape instead of a solution. When you come back after that holiday, that long bike trip, that long sabbatical, your problems will still be waiting for you at your doorstep, if all you did was escape from them.

If I break this into tiny fragments, it means that indulgence should ideally be part of your every day life, omnipresent to the extent that it is barely noticeable, but its absence means something is amiss. That is perhaps the basis of the philosophy that you should do what you love, and you won't have to work another day of your life. But I find this incompatible with the constitution, abilities and aspirations of the common man. Most people cannot do what they love, and must consign themselves to a life of compromise. In the end, it is the battle with compromise that one must deal with, conquer and come out on top. Those who can do it, are undoubtedly more at peace.

Amen to that brother! :tup:

I do not dispute that. My reference was to the symbolism of 'phatta marka'. Studying in classrooms is a very recent development, in the last 200 years or so. All places of education in the sub continent before that were open ones. Suffice to stay, we weren't lacking in the intellectual department ever due to the lack of roofs and walls :)

Agree. You are right.

Back
Top Bottom