Going ballistic won’t do the trick

IceCold

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
By Praful Bidwai

Among the many dubious ideas that former United States president Ronald Reagan embraced, two were particularly dangerous. The first was that “a limited nuclear war” with the Soviet Union could be fought and won. The second held that the US could reliably secure itself against nuclear weapons by building Star Wars-style ballistic missile defence (BMD).

BMD would detect launches of nuclear-tipped missiles using satellites and radars, and intercept and destroy them. This would render the enemy’s nuclear deterrent ineffectual. If the US took the lead in BMD, it would acquire supreme, unmatched power.

Peace-minded scientists sharply criticised these ideas. They showed that a “limited nuclear war”, deploying only 100 of the world’s then-existing arsenal of 70,000-plus nuclear weapons, would create a cloud of soot and smoke which would block sunlight for years.

This would cause a prolonged “nuclear winter”. Global food production and forestry would be devastated, creating climate havoc and large-scale hunger. This critique was fused into the great global peace movement of the 1980s.

Reagan eventually abandoned “limited nuclear war” and negotiated with the former USSR the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty of 1987, the world’s only agreement to dismantle a whole class of weapons — 2,700 missiles, with a 500-5,500 km range, and their nuclear warheads.

\However, Reagan never gave up on BMD. Spending some $120 billion, the US developed rudimentary capabilities to engage ballistic missiles in all phases of their flight.

However, Reagan’s successors desisted for long from actual BMD deployment, deferring to the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (1972) with the USSR, which prohibits deployment.

Things changed with George W Bush’s election as President. In 2001, he announced plans to deploy a BMD shield against about 100-120 missiles. In 2002, the US withdrew from the ABM Treaty, and gave its Missile Defence Agency a free hand to develop BMD and space-based weapons, including lasers, kinetic-energy weapons, etc.

The world was horrified. But BJP-ruled India welcomed the announcement — ahead of America’s own allies. India had for decades opposed Star Wars and the militarisation of space.

The US’s BMD is setting off new rivalries. The MDA has built two bases in Alaska and California for missile interceptors, costing $26 billion. It’s planning to spend $250 billion on BMD.

The US has just announced a BMD programme in central Europe, with radars in the Czech Republic and an interceptor base in Poland. Washington claims this will guard against strikes from “rogue” nations like Iran.

The ABM Treaty recognised that BMD deployment would introduce uncertainty about the workability of nuclear deterrence, on which all nuclear weapons-states (NWSs) ostensibly base their security. Deterrence assumes that NWSs won’t attack each other because they know their adversary can retaliate and inflict “unacceptable damage” upon them. This creates “balance-of-terror”-based security. Nuclear deterrence is flawed because it makes unrealistic assumptions about transparency, rules out accidents or miscalculations, and demands rational, cool-headed conduct from fallible, panic-prone decision-makers.

The search for ultimate supremacy through BMD, including the “freedom to attack” an adversary with nuclear weapons, and “freedom from attack” by his weapons, makes nonsense even of this limited stability, and creates new insecurities and dangers.

Globally, BMD will trigger off a qualitatively new arms race and militarise space. Ethically, the human race has no business to militarise space. Strategically, militarisation will prove utterly disastrous.

With today’s technology, BMD cannot provide remotely reliable defence against missiles. It’s near-impossible to hit a bullet travelling at 24,000 kmph with another bullet travelling at the same speed with certainty.

Further, any number of inexpensive countermeasures can neutralise BMD, including cheap decoys like balloons. It cannot discriminate between real and fake targets.

Similarly, real warheads can be enclosed in radar-reflecting balloons. Besides, infrared jamming measures can be used. These can be mastered by the 30-odd countries with missile programmes. Finally, an adversary can “overwhelm” BMD with a large number of missiles. Yet, Russia, China, Japan and India have also entered the BMD game besides the US.

On December 6, India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) fired an interceptor to destroy a Prithvi missile launched five minutes earlier. In November 2006, the DRDO had used a modified Prithvi to intercept another Prithvi. It boasts that it can develop a fully indigenous BMD shield in three years.

These claims must be taken with a pinch of salt — and not just because Israeli radars were used in the latest test. The DRDO’s record inspires no confidence. All its major projects, including the Main Battle Tank, Light Combat Aircraft, and Advanced Technology Vessel (nuclear-powered submarine) have failed in some measure or other — sinking thousands of crores. Its missile programme too has run into serious difficulties.

However, it’s even more important to recognise that BMD is strategically dubious, destabilising and harmful to regional security. Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee admitted as much in October when he ruled out joining the US-led BMD programme. The DRDO is working at odds with this.

India must not waste scarce resources on BMD. Nor should Pakistan get lured into this sordid business. We already spend too much on the military in relation to health, education and social security. The result is our falling Human Development Index ranks. BMD will further distort South Asian priorities — without producing security. The world must put an end to these fancy — and dangerous — programmes before they get the better of it.

(Praful Bidwai is a veteran Indian journalist and commentator. He can be reached at praful@bol.net.in)

These claims must be taken with a pinch of salt — and not just because Israeli radars were used in the latest test. The DRDO’s record inspires no confidence. All its major projects, including the Main Battle Tank, Light Combat Aircraft, and Advanced Technology Vessel (nuclear-powered submarine) have failed in some measure or other — sinking thousands of crores. Its missile programme too has run into serious difficulties.

when opinions are not backed with facts they end up becoming Rants .
No wonder there are so many Dalals , making money in Arm dealings ..

Successful ten-day long Akash missile tests pave way for its production
ATV- nearly ready -http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/atv.htm

There have been problems with DRDO projects and this is normal in any effort of indigenisation.
however this failures, in most of cases were due to changes in specification by army in between the research .

here is one more opinion about Mr Bidwai 's article .

If Mr.Bidwai was really good at "assessment reports",he would not have missed the woods for the trees.
The recent AAD test was not just about shooting down an incoming missile. The spin off that could evolve out of it are tremendous. The detection and kill loop demonstrated by the test is more important than where the radar came from. India has a detection capability and shooting down of a warhead at 15 km i.e almost 3-4 sec before it reaches the target. A fast reaction system.
Isn't that something more important. A little modification of this system with a net centric concept and you a defense system against the **** cruise missiles. The most important threat from **** will blunted.
All this where India has spend only 600 million on entire Stragetic program for the past two decades. Compare this with the recent Jap test which costed 55 million!

Prafull Kidwai is a Commie with no credibility. Most of his articles are useless junk. They are almost always anti-Indian.

But they can have their say. After all we are a free democracy. ;)

Since Pakistan moved away toward low flying almost stealth cruisemissiles with range if 1200-1500 km I am curious what ABM will bring... And even if Pakistan launches only BM's... If only a few go through then you end up with a dead country...

The purpose of the ABM is not to be 100% accurate but to create uncertainties for the adversary. So the adversary now has to tartget many more assests per target to be sure of a hit.

Anyway, I am really surprised by how many Pakistanis on the forums talk so lightly of nuclear strikes on India. I hope they would try to understand its implications. It is not a sane scenario and I pray to God, the day never comes. It would be disatrous for both countries and only the insane would calculate who had more losses.

There will be no winners in such a war!

The purpose of the ABM is not to be 100% accurate but to create uncertainties for the adversary. So the adversary now has to tartget many more assests per target to be sure of a hit.

Anyway, I am really surprised by how many Pakistanis on the forums talk so lightly of nuclear strikes on India. I hope they would try to understand its implications. It is not a sane scenario and I pray to God, the day never comes. It would be disatrous for both countries and only the insane would calculate who had more losses.

There will be no winners in such a war!

My point precisely, that ABM is only a morale booster for the country and nothing else. Its implimentation will only increse evolution of BMs. In real war now the uncertainity created by ABM systems will only mean that lauch more missile against one target to be certain. If some intercepted no problem. What if more get through then intended then you have more destruction than planed. ABMs will Only worsen the coming days.

I agree with you that people think of Nuclear war like its a joke but consider that people who are supressed by aggressions of US and others all around the world donot care if they die and kill a few. Don't want to say that it is right to kill, but is it right to kill for the Opressers who they want to eradicate.

In such a blown out world, there is no right and no wrong, the powerful will always be right and the weak always wrong.

I personally think such weapons can act as deterrents. But one can only hope they are never used. We only build these weapons for our security, and if even one is launched no one will be safe.

ABM for India or any country is to at least try to defend itself from a possible nuclear attack. Whether it is 100% failsafe is not the point. Everyone has a right to try to defend itself. It is not an aggressive system.

Theoretically it may embolden a state to be aggressive against another NW state, but practically in the SA scenario, it can't happen. It is kind of a natural evolution of the NW deterrent systems.

And for India or Pakistan to attack each other with NWs will be suicidal because the fallout can't escape the other country as well.

The effects of nuclear weapons are grossly exaggerated by people, for various purposes, ranging from ego boosting to fear mongering.

'http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p912.htm'

And yes, in my opinion even a nuclear war is winnable. Question is, how do you define a win and loss, what is the relative disparity between the size of population and landmass between the two given adversaries, what is the maximum yield and number of warheads each side has, etc.

If winning means survival of 90% of your population and cities while the destruction of 50% of enemies cities and population, then yes, India can win a nuclear war. Contrary to popular uninformed opinion, one nuke does NOT equal one city, not even Megaton yields.

'http://www.fortfreedom.org/w01.htm' [read the whole article]

"You would need 438 one-megaton bombs (the power of 22,000
Hiroshima-sized bombs) to destroy Greater Los Angeles [1] and none of
them could be "wasted" on pulverizing the rubble, or you would need
more."

[I am not allowed to post urls untill i have atleast 5 posts, so please copy paste the links to view them]

If winning means survival of 90% of your population and cities while the destruction of 50% of enemies cities and population, then yes, India can win a nuclear war. Contrary to popular uninformed opinion, one nuke does NOT equal one city, not even Megaton yields.

It depends on different scenarios then the mentioned links and all. A MIRVed 100kTx4 yield each warhead can level out Bombay as per its density of population 5 million will vanish. The figures in the links are not correct.

And for your theory that India can survive nuclear war ... I will only say that if all the major cities of India are destroyed and all villages survive then it is a win that only India is able to understand; :yahoo:

Without indulging in any hyperbole, I will just say as a fact that I doubt Pakistan has the assets to destroy all major cities of India. It does require a lot more NWs than is commonly perceived. there are a lot of factors which are not apparent about the use of NWs to those uninitiated in nuclear warfare and that includes me.

It depends on different scenarios then the mentioned links and all. A MIRVed 100kTx4 yield each warhead can level out Bombay as per its density of population 5 million will vanish. The figures in the links are not correct.

And for your theory that India can survive nuclear war ... I will only say that if all the major cities of India are destroyed and all villages survive then it is a win that only India is able to understand; :yahoo:

The point he was trying to make is, that only the major cities in India will be gone as opposed to most of the cities in Pakistan which he classifies as a winnable nuclear war.

I suppose that is one way to look at it...but India would be set back economically by god knows how many decades.

The point he was trying to make is, that only the major cities in India will be gone as opposed to most of the cities in Pakistan which he classifies as a winnable nuclear war.

I suppose that is one way to look at it...but India would be set back economically by god knows how many decades.

Less emotional reply .... Appreciated ..

:cheers:

Its Nuclear war, its not so easy to create scenarios, will only mention that in Nuclear wars their will never be a winner. This world has not seen a nuclear war yet and i belief it will only see one and it will be over for 95% population of the world.

Hi,

We are forgetting about the force multiplier effect in this scenario. Alongwith the destruction, there are other forces that come into play to wreack havoc.

Bottomline is that even one nuclear strike is one too many. It would destabilize the world economy so fast and so many other things can happen because of the unpredictability and insecurity that you cannot predict the outcome. The chaos would be total and out of control and insanity would prevail. Only one major strike on a city that has all the major call centers would destroy the world's economy and create the doomsday scenario.

ABHY needs to read Michael Crichton's Jurassic park.

If that is the reason that india is not moving ahead in certain areas of negotiations of give and take, then they are committing a big mistake. So, let us not find a reason that we can survive one strike or two.

Proud to be pakistani is correct, there are no winners once the first launch takes place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom