What's new

Geopolitics of ASEAN+ region

@Nihonjin1051 would Japan be interested in this ASEAN+ military alliance idea? ASEAN+ will potentially include ASEAN (10) + Japan + Korean peninsula + Bangladesh + Sri Lanka

The idea is that China is not interested to go for any European Union type idea with any of these nations above except Japan and Korean peninsula. But for the medium term, Japan and Korean peninsula would balance a rising China with an alliance with US/West/NATO. But US/West/NATO may not be interested to integrate non-western faraway Asian countries in their group because of ethnic and cultural difference, even though they are highly developed countries and societies.

So Japan and Korean peninsula are sought after by the Chinese for eventual assimilation in the long term, but that is exactly what Japan and Korean peninsula want to avoid. So in addition to the balancing weight US/West/NATO provide, ASEAN+ will provide an additional opportunity and balancing weight for both Japan and South Korea, if they can concentrate on this area and make it into a developed and integrated region. This does not mean that China will be excluded in the development/integration process at all, China will be investing and become a partner in this development/integration process as well, as it is China's backyard.

In the very long term after 15-20 years, when China reaches parity with the US, the Chinese will become much more active and have interventionist role in Asian and global affairs. But before we reach that stage, there is an opportunity for these countries to build mutual military alliance so that the team of nations within this security structure provides them with a large enough population and economy that can become a pole of its own in the future multi-polar world. This military alliance will provide each of its team members with sufficient weight when dealing much larger regional nations, such as China or India.

If you look at the beginning of the thread, this was the idea I started out with, but at later stages I kind of moved away from this idea. But with more and more information about regional countries as they become available with every passing day, it seems that this idea may be viable after all in the long term, specially after the latest moves made by Japan about changing its pacifist constitution.

Initially ASEAN+ may lean towards USA/West/NATO, but the challenge will be to develop and integrate this region, so that it can stand on its own feet and become independent of undue outside influence. This will depend on China, how much interest they take in helping this region to integrate and develop and thus help ASEAN+ become a more of an independent pole in future multi-polar world. But with or without Chinese help, the region may be able to unite and integrate for their own mutual interest.

Now how will this geopolitical alignment above affect the Muslim world. I think it will have tremendous effect. ASEAN+ can help the integration of several other Muslim regions in Asia and beyond. A South West Asian team is possible with 4 nations - Turkey, Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan. This team may eventually integrate further with Eurasian Economic Union led by Russia. In every region of the globe, small nations I believe are vulnerable to too much outside influence from larger nations who become global power and establish their regional and global hegemony. I describe these phenomenon here:
kalu_miah's new world order, a road map for the future

Specifically for Western Eurasia, I discuss the geopolitics of this region here:
Geopolitics of Eurasia+ region

As for Arab region of the world and Africa my ideas are described here:
Geopolitics of GCC+ region
Geopolitics of African Union

Japan and South Korea both are highly industrialized countries, where Japan has a much longer and a more mature history as an advanced industrial nation. What both lack is population and resources. By becoming team members with ASEAN+, it will mean that both will be in a privileged position to play roles in integration of Eurasia+ (southern and northern parts), GCC+, Arab League and African union. Already Japan and South Korea both have demonstrated their open mind about taking in Muslim immigrants as migrant workers in their nation and making them their citizens many of whom have married among local population. Today tens of thousands of such Muslim families live in both of these countries as productive citizens and enjoy all freedoms and rights. With this new team building effort in above future regional unions or military alliances, if both nations show themselves as trusted development partner as team managers, then they will win the trust of vast populations in these regions.

Essentially the idea is not to accept the future of the world as a bipolar or tripolar international order, rather work towards a truely viable multi-polar world, where there are multiple poles:
- West
- China
- India
- ASEAN+
- Eurasia+
- African Union or parts of it (Arab League, Muslim Subsaharan Africa, rest of Southern Africa)
- Latin American Union

@Indos @Battle of Bach Dang River

How and where BD fits in this scenario ???

You are not in ASEAN then why would any one include you in their alliance with no political, military value, nor you are technological advanced nation like Japan.

Even if ASEAN expand their group then you have 0% possibility to join them.

You are not in ASEAN then why would any one include you in their alliance with no political, military value, nor you are technological advanced nation like Japan.

ASEAN inducted worst country into the group. So why the hell not. Personally I prefer to see Papua New Guinea join with the group first. For it is long overdue.

Bangladesh is sitting crossroad of south and south east asia. Virtually detached india from south east Asia. Bangladesh as growing country and large population and a country bordering indian ocean has immense value to any geo political theater and grouping. Offcourse it is indian tradition to say otherwise, typical indian view as worthless as it comes.

I think even SAARC should perhaps reconsider! ;)

Bangladesh is sitting crossroad of south and south east asia. Virtually detached india from south east Asia. Bangladesh as growing country and large population and a country bordering indian ocean has immense value to any geo political theater and grouping. Offcourse it is indian tradition to say otherwise, typical indian view as worthless as it comes.

Worthless??? i think you need some basic lessons before these idiotic claims..

You can not trade directly with ASEAN without Indian crossroad as per present condition and only India is developing road, rail and water connectivity to all ASEAN country not you so just stop dreaming.

ASEAN links: India rebuilds road, sea links to boost trade and people-to-people ties : North, News - India Today

Bangladesh is not a part of this useful highway.

indothairoad.jpg

ASEAN+ will take shape as ASEAN+2 (Japan+South Korea). If North East India can break free from Indian mainland at some point in the future, then Nepal, Bhutan and North East states will be able to join ASEAN+.

ASEAN inducted worst country into the group. So why the hell not. Personally I prefer to see Papua New Guinea join with the group first. For it is long overdue.

I agree, Papua New Guinea should be admitted, it may benefit from greater integration.

Besides, one cannot ignore their vast reserves of natural gas. ;)

Worthless??? i think you need some basic lessons before these idiotic claims..

You can not trade directly with ASEAN without Indian crossroad as per present condition and only India is developing road, rail and water connectivity to all ASEAN country not you so just stop dreaming.

ASEAN links: India rebuilds road, sea links to boost trade and people-to-people ties : North, News - India Today

Bangladesh is not a part of this useful highway.

indothairoad.jpg

ASEAN is our cultural and civilizational cousin. There is a bright future ahead for our relations with these countries owing to the vast and ancient religious, cultural and civilizational ties we have with this region.

In fact, if you go to many of these countries, you see the impact of our shared religious heritage that is so great and wonderful.

It has to translate into geopolitical ties and now that we are breaking free of Kangress and left imposed unnatural constraints, these ties are going to flourish.

While some people indulge in their impotent wet dreams. Or sometimes try to project their impotence as some kind of grand strategy. ;)

ASEAN+ will take shape as ASEAN+2 (Japan+South Korea). If North East India can break free from Indian mainland at some point in the future, then Nepal, Bhutan and North East states will be able to join ASEAN+.

But even in worse condition Bangladesh will not include into this ..... and this thing is 100% sure

But even in worse condition Bangladesh will not include into this ..... and this thing is 100% sure

You think someone who enjoys the death of BD soldiers really cares about BD?

Such creatures are driven by only one thing, hatred.

Just Pavlovian reactions, Physico-chemical stuff, Amygdala hijack and so on.

No real use of conscious brain...

i heard about Viet to invade Sing and stuffs...well yeah Sing Army cannot be defeated so easily, because they possess lethal weapon and half of it are in the US.

And Indo and Malay wont be so neutral again towards you, well actually US are often ask our Gov to let them open their Base here in Indo...but our Gov didn't agree, and US open their base in Malay and Darwin instead.

well actually its okay for your country to Invade us, free targets for our armed forces training

wonder who is the real imperialist here

Oh yeah once more for viet poster here, dont be too cocky please? Just because you have Russia, and maybe US in your side for now, you think they willing to give you lethal weapons without giving them in return, so easily?

I can't believe I've read all 22 pages of this. It was an interesting piece

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom