What's new

General No. 1 coming soon for tri-services: Parrikar

mehboobkz

Reaction score
Country
India
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...rvices-Parrikar/2016/05/27/article3452774.ece

• Gen%20No6.jpg
NEW DELHI: Attempting to fulfil his party’s poll promise, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said India will soon get a General No 1, who will be the top commander of all three services and would be the single point person to the government on military matters.

Speaking exclusively to Express, Parrikar said that the government was fully committed to making this a reality to inject much-needed synergy into military planning, operations and procurements as well.

Creation of the post of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), the top military man, was recommended by a Group of Ministers in 2001, soon after the Kargil conflict and the issue was mentioned in the BJP’s manifesto for the 2014 general elections.

“The decision could happen within the year. The issue is connected to taking a call on improving the tooth to tail ratio as well as on jointness in the armed forces,” said Parrikar.

“We have formed a committee under Gen Shekatkar (retd) that has to give a detailed report in 90 days. After that we will take a decision as they have an impact on each other,” the Minister explained. The 11-member committee led by Shekatkar has three months to chalk out an action plan and recommend how to “re-balance” overall defence expenditure in view of the escalating salary and pension bills.

Creation of the Chief of Defence Staff post would be the first major military reform by the Modi government after resolving the four-decade-old One Rank One Pension issue.

A new defence procurement procedure has also been released. Though India has a tri-service command, it is headed by a three-star officer junior to the military chiefs who are four-star.

The post of the Chief of Defence Staff is likely to be of a four-star who would be in-charge of the tri-services command at Andaman and Nicobar islands, the strategic command in-charge of nuclear weapons along with the upcoming cyber and space command. When asked about artillery guns for army, which have not been procured for the last three decades due to Bofors scandal, Parrikar said the indigenously built 155mm artillery gun, Dhanush was in its last stage of induction into the army.

“At present induction trials are on for the Dhanush gun and six guns are being seen. The Dhanush shall in all probability be inducted in the current financial year. If you ask me, technically, they are already inducted as they are undergoing induction trials,” he said. And on the much-hyped Rafale fighter jet deal, Parrikar said his ministry was looking to conclude it in the next month.

“You just wait. I can’t tell the exact time for its conclusion, but there is no reason why it should not be inked in June as negotiations are in the last and final phase,” he said.

Nope! Unlike the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), the Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee of Pakistan does not have any authority over the combat forces. The individual service chiefs are solely responsible.
so its means that CDS will took powers shear from forces chiefs ? forces chiefs will like this idea ?

images

so its means that CDS will took powers shear from forces chiefs ? forces chiefs will like this idea ?
Forces Chiefs will take it positively as Now they have an additional chance of becoming a CDS.

images
In India, it doesn't matter mostly what forces chiefs like because all power lies in hand of civilian govt, if govt want to do something it can even without telling defence forces.
yeah thats postive but may be its accelerate race also
Chiefs isn't a permanent post, so it may not matter much for incumbent officers.

In India, it doesn't matter mostly what forces chiefs like because all power lies in hand of civilian govt, if govt want to do something it can even without telling defence forces.

Chiefs isn't a permanent post, so it may not matter much for incumbent officers.

The crux of the matter is you need trained individuals and institutions to direct your defence forces in a fashion necessary during crisis or otherwise. Politicians won't know how to react in certain situations; situations which the military is usually accustomed to. CDS will allow our defence forces to take both offensive and defensive measures in a collective fashion to safeguard our nation among other things.
Next should be JSOC.

Last edited:

maharaj please do not teach us old monks . i know india better and we all know stories of chiefs what they did in past . my motive is not to divert the thread but your claim as no one care is false .
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/army-chief-loses-age-war/article2878671.ece

maharaj please do not teach us old monks . i know india better and we all know stories of chiefs what they did in past . my motive is not to divert the thread but your claim as no one care is false .
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/army-chief-loses-age-war/article2878671.ece
I'm not saying India is better but if someone decreases your power, will you like yourself but you should know that there will be people in future in your place & will you accept that power that they use when they get in power?
I don't know whether you know or not that in India many people believe that role of defence forces must be increased in deciesion making & BJP came in power with that promise.
Yes, Supreme court is supreme authority in India but above that parliament comes as in case of "Mohd. Ahmed Khan v. Shah Bano Begum" when congress reverted Supreme Court deciesion but now BJP doesn't have that much power & BJP doesn't accept anything against sepreme court rule.
So, if chiefs are against any deciesion they can go to court.

Good news.. Will surely go a long way in streamlining the operations of the three services...

I just hope the first CDS is from the Navy..
I think CDS won't matter as today most defence analysts including ex-army & ex-air force support increasing role & power of navy.

images
its not a good idea... we should have three service chiefs reporting to civilians.. too much power in one hand is dangerous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom