What's new

Gandhi Garden (Karachi Zoo)

@White and Green with M/S

Dear Sir,

First of all my apologies. It wasn't my intent to question your right to name any place in Pakistan after an Indian figure. I am very happy that Pakistan is broadminded enough to name landmarks after foreign leaders, including those from India, a country with which it has had strained relations.

My point is that Mr Gandhi is a very controversial leader. As my dear friend Mr Yasser Latif Hamdani once remarked "Gandhi is a Hindu racist, casteist, fascist, misogynist bigoted freak". His remarks against Muslims, dalits, black people and women are a source of controversy. If Pakistan wishes to name a few landmarks against worthy Indian leaders there are better names- BR Ambedkar, GK Gokhale, APJ Abul Kalam, HJ Bhabha, CV Raman to name a few- to do so.

Hope this clears all misgivings.

Regards

1632954521149.png

used to go there on school trips a lot since our school was very near (S.T Lawrences Boys School), now that place has turned into literal trash, last time i went was around 8-10 years back and you could count the bones on the lion, felt so sick and sad for the poor animals.

On average in wild, this would be a more frequent sight. Even without putting human interference plaguing wildlife.

In wild one can understand that he/she wasn't able to find a pray, but in a controlled environment where they should not have to worry about hunting or food it's a sad sight, i hope you are following what I am trying to say.

On a totally unrelated note, anyone heard from Firdous Ashiq Awan lately.

I'm looking for the clip in which she was saying "dhokka dhokka", in not so many words.

Given your concern, did you have anything to with this statement?

In wild one can understand that he/she wasn't able to find a pray, but in a controlled environment where they should not have to worry about hunting or food it's a sad sight, i hope you are following what I am trying to say.

This is where humans blur the lines and give animals human emotions and culture.
I'm looking for the clip in which she was saying "dhokka dhokka", in not so many words.

Given your concern, did you have anything to with this statement?

Absolutely nothing.

But i do believe @bilal believes the lion has his bones sticking out because his zoo is dedicated to Gandhi. Some say he was lighter than Tuc

used to go there on school trips a lot since our school was very near (S.T Lawrences Boys School), now that place has turned into literal trash, last time i went was around 8-10 years back and you could count the bones on the lion, felt so sick and sad for the poor animals.

Hah! Small world. I too (briefly) attended St. Lawrence Boys School in Soldier's Bazaar Karachi in the 1970s. The Zoological Garden ('Gandhi Garden' as it was widely known then) was indeed very close to that school; in fact, my temporary residence was touching distance to the school. Karachi, especially in winter nights, used to be much colder and quieter then and some late night we could hear lion's roars at the house!!

The Garden was a pleasant 'GhoRa GaRi' (horse carriage) rides for us kids. It was treat to go there. Riding elephants. Watching the half-human, half-animal Mumtaz Begum was awe-inspiring. Buying Pakola/Ice Cream Soda beverages for 'Aath Aana' (50 Paisas). Of course for young teenagers it was all so wonderful.

But don't think the Garden is bad anymore. Gori wife and I went there in December 2019 and we found the Garden to be extremely pleasant! Dense canopies of shade trees, wide boulevard/walkways, very expansive, very peaceful, many animals which didn't look too shabby, swans in the pond, the Mughal Garden which was absolutely beautiful and going renovations, and of course the half-woman, half-animal Mumtaz Begum! And honestly it felt safer than any other place in Karachi!! And I think the civic sense is improving, even in Karachi, because we didn't see much littering.

Here--don't believe me: Watch it! Our hosts included two Garden staff and a You Tuber from Karachi. A staff member went out of his way to to hunt for and fetch me green Pakola just because I had mentioned my childhood memories!

Hah! Small world. I too (briefly) attended St. Lawrence Boys School in Soldier's Bazaar Karachi in the 1970s. The Zoological Garden ('Gandhi Garden' as it was widely known then) was indeed very close to that school; in fact, my temporary residence was touching distance to the school. Karachi, especially in winter nights, used to be much colder and quieter then and some late night we could hear lion's roars at the house!!

Oh wow i am graduate of 92, was there from KG-1 till Grade-10, at that time we had Sir Micheal, Sir Nicholas, Sir Aamir (his son was in our class) and others, i am SO happy to hear that you are fellow Lawrentian! :) Since most of the people in our class were from nearby Ismaili community, as kids we roamed around in the streets surrounding school and jamaat khana a lot :)

Oh wow i am graduate of 92, was there from KG-1 till Grade-10, at that time we had Sir Micheal, Sir Nicholas, Sir Aamir (his son was in our class) and others, i am SO happy to hear that you are fellow Lawrentian! :) Since most of the people in our class were from nearby Ismaili community, as kids we roamed around in the streets surrounding school and jamaat khana a lot :)

I was there way before your time! Only remember a Sir Din, who was pretty harsh. St. Larwrence was a TOUGH school to attend! It's English language courses would challenge me even now in some cases: 'Pip and the Convict' (Charles Dickens?) was too much for me then. You had great education. I only attended briefly.
Yes, the Jamaat Khana! There was soup vendor close to that and we would walk up to that in groups.

I had the privilege to visit the Zoo several times during my childhood.

I was there way before your time! Only remember a Sir Din, who was pretty harsh. St. Larwrence was a TOUGH school to attend! It's English language courses would challenge me even now in some cases: 'Pip and the Convict' (Charles Dickens?) was too much for me then. You had great education. I only attended briefly.
Yes, the Jamaat Khana! There was soup vendor close to that and we would walk up to that in groups.

Yes it was a tough school and there was VERY STRONG emphasis on English!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom