What's new

Games stadium badly off track with just hours to go

Swahc

New Recruit

Reaction score
Alex Brown in Delhi
October 6, 2010 - 5:19PM
.EXCLUSIVE

Repairs under way at the track hours before competition scheduled to start. Photo: Quentin Jones

Just hours remain before the start of the Commonwealth Games track competition, and the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium is a mess.

At least two large sections of the eastern side of the track appear to have been relaid and repainted in the past 24 hours, stadium workers have told Fairfax, and both areas feel noticeably softer under foot than the rest of the running surface.

The smell of fresh paint around the relaid sections is detectable, and some areas appear slightly raised from the more established parts of the track.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Click for more photos
Track not up to scratch in Delhi
Athletics starts today at the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, but the running track was only repaired yesterday. Photo: Quentin Jones

..Within 30 centimetres of the inside lane, a large hole half-filled with concrete and sand is evident, posing a potential safety hazard for runners.

Further around the bend, workers are furiously brushing away debris from Sunday night's opening ceremony, which at least one prominent athletics figure has blamed for damaging the track.

This was the scene that played out this morning when Fairfax conducted an inspection of the stadium.

With the athletics competition due to begin at 5.30pm, Delhi time, stadium staff face a difficult task to bring the track up to international standards.

However, Commonwealth Games Federation President Mike Fennell said the repair work has been approved by the International Association of Athletics Federations.

‘‘The repair work that was necessary has been completed and all systems are go for athletics to start this afternoon,’’ Fennell told reporters.

‘‘There was some damage to the track and the infield was in a very poor condition ... and the workers responded to this overnight. The clean-up work has now been done.

‘‘It was checked this morning by the technical delegate for the IAAF and he has informed us that all systems are go for athletics this afternoon.’’

Athletics tracks normally need several days to bed down and settle into competition condition, but Fennell said the Delhi track has been given the all clear.

‘‘I can only go by the advice of the technical delegates,’’ he said.

Britain's former triple jumper, Jonathan Edwards, was shocked when he inspected the track on Tuesday. It was, he said, "beyond anything I imagined" and "concerns about the athletes' safety are foremost".

"The straight for the 100 metres is fine, but they are re-laying a bit of the track which was damaged during the opening ceremony,” Edwards told the BBC.

"And they've had to do that a couple of times because the standard to which it's been repaired hasn't been up to scratch. Obviously, concerns about the athletes' safety are foremost.

"Normally, you would lay a track and perhaps leave it for two or three days to settle and to harden so this is probably unparalleled."

The stadium track made headlines in August when monsoonal rains prompted large sections of the track and the infield to sink.

Emergency works were carried out at the time to ensure a level surface, but it appears Monday night's opening ceremony has caused further damage.

Australian team chef de mission Steve Moneghetti, a former marathon runner, planned to inspect the track today.

‘‘I think there was some residual carry-over from the opening ceremony,’’ said Moneghetti.

‘‘I can’t comment on that because I haven’t seen it first hand.

‘‘There’s been some concerns raised and I’m sure they’re taking remedial actions to make sure that that’s remedied.’’

with AAP

Commonwealth Games Stadium Delhi Not Ready | Athletics Track

Haven't indian finish all the work already?

Cry me a river and build a bridge to cross it! :P

And make sure the bridge doesn't collapse! :lol:

Last edited:
Actually track markers have to be re painted after opening ceremony , Frankly if you guys had seen the opening ceremony then you would have noticed that stadium at that time of decked for ceremony and not for a track event simply becoz with 6700 + athletes marching across the stadium followed by 7000 performers descending for the show there was suposed to be certain damaged to the track and frankly work is being done to rectify that

On a serious note: According to the article, it seems some part of track was damaged because of the opening ceremony, which is expected. Also according to the article workers worked overnight to mend the damaged part and it's safe for athletes now.

‘‘The repair work that was necessary has been completed and all systems are go for athletics to start this afternoon,’’ Fennell told reporters.

Goddamn it folks, these guys are working day and night for your pleasure and safety, give them some credit which is due! You lot are even worse than britishers when it comes to bitching and whining. :s

Actually track markers have to be re painted after opening ceremony , Frankly if you guys had seen the opening ceremony then you would have noticed that stadium at that time of decked for ceremony and not for a track event simply becoz with 6700 + athletes marching across the stadium followed by 7000 performers descending for the show there was suposed to be certain damaged to the track and frankly work is being done to rectify that

How many marched through such tracks, passages in Beijing Olympics?

How many marched through such tracks, passages in Beijing Olympics?

How do you know the tracks were not damaged and then repaired after opening ceremony of Olympics? It's pretty usual everywhere, any ceremony on ground, damages the ground.

i think everything will turn out fine.usual subcontinent bureaucratic culture.We always need a kick in the as* before we start working.

Back
Top Bottom