What's new

Further Pakistan cricketer implicated in betting scam : One more .

Nothing

Reaction score
Country
India
An unnamed Pakistan cricketer was involved in arranging a spot-fixing plot with ex-team captain Salman Butt, a defence lawyer has told a court.

The claims were made at the Southwark Crown Court sentencing of Butt and Mohammed Asif, who have been convicted of deliberately bowling no-balls.

Mohammad Amir, 19, and UK based agent Mazhar Majeed, 36, had earlier admitted offences over a Lord's Test match.

Majeed claimed to have paid Asif £65,000, Butt £10,000 and Amir £2,500.

The men were arrested after the fourth Test between Pakistan and England in August 2010.

Butt was alleged by the prosecution to have been involved in arranging the no-balls and the claims about the second unnamed player's role was made by Mark Milliken-Smith QC, the lawyer acting for Majeed.

The agent said he gave such a high payment to Asif because he feared the bowler would ally himself with a rival Pakistan fixing racket, the barrister said.

"The larger amount was paid in order to ensure that that player remained, as it were, loyal to these people, the players within the dressing room, rather than to others by whom he might be tempted," he told the court.

He added that Majeed paid the three players from a sum of £150,000 provided by a News of the World (NoW) reporter during the undercover operation that resulted in their arrests.

Former captain Butt, 27, and fast bowler Asif, 28, were both found guilty on Tuesday of conspiracy to cheat and conspiracy to accept corrupt payments.

Amir pleaded guilty to the same charges before the trial began, although this detail could only be reported after there was a verdict on his two former teammates.

It can now be reported that Majeed also admitted conspiracy to cheat and conspiracy to make corrupt payments at an earlier hearing.

But in his mitigation, Alexander Milne QC for Asif, denied the player received any money for bowling the no-ball at Lord's.

'Serious career implications'
Spot-betting involves gamblers staking money on the minutiae of sporting encounters such as the exact timing of the first throw-in during a football match or, as in this case, when a no-ball will be bowled.

Amir claimed he was involved in fixing only at one match, saying it was a "one-off" but the judge said text messages suggested otherwise.

During the pre-trial hearing, Amir's lawyers agreed a basis of plea with prosecutors when he admitted the same charges as Butt and Asif.

The plea noted: "The defendant's involvement was limited to the final Test match at Lord's on August 26 and 27.

"This was the defendant's first and only involvement, and was therefore an isolated and one-off event.

"The defendant only became involved as a result of pressure (not amounting to physical threats) and influence to the effect that if he did not become involved, he would suffer serious professional implications for his future career."

BBC News - Further Pakistan cricketer implicated in betting scam
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may prove more than earthquake if any big ex-player is involved ...
What about Pakistan's high commissioner to UK who told this tape was Bollywood drama ... you people should kick him first..

yea kamran akmal(mr. butter fingers) kaisey bach gaya ? sabse bada chor toh yea hai. that's what zulkernain haider (is it the name?) said.

I heard this too. I think he was blatantly being a naughty boy in Australia Jan 2010. Dont know how he got away with it. Should bury him too. Mind you he isnt playing for Pakistan anymore anyway,

I heard this too. I think he was blatantly being a naughty boy in Australia Jan 2010. Dont know how he got away with it. Should bury him too. Mind you he isnt playing for Pakistan anymore anyway,

initially this chap was doing good with bat and gloves later on haram ka paisa milne laga or bhai saab ka performance ke L lag gaye. btw this guy is feared by your team and to some extent your PCB, he's got some good connection inside pakistan from various resources.

Whoever it is. He should face the same punishment like the trio. Just send him to jail.

initially this chap was doing good with bat and gloves later on haram ka paisa milne laga or bhai saab ka performance ke L lag gaye. btw this guy is feared by your team and to some extent your PCB, he's got some good connection inside pakistan from various resources.

Thats probably how his brothers got into the team. Toilet players.

I wish I could hang these perpetrators... No mercy for treason.

I wish I could hang these perpetrators... No mercy for treason.

Dont worry brother. Believe that everything happens for a reason and something inshallah good will come out of this. We will learn and emerge stronger. Dont blame just these guys - there are several countries players doing it and things now will get better!

Dont worry brother. Believe that everything happens for a reason and something inshallah good will come out of this. We will learn and emerge stronger. Dont blame just these guys - there are several countries players doing it and things now will get better!

akmal brothers reminds me of superkaif and aryan_b always thanking each others posts :p (just kiddin)

kaif dig out the "whatever" thread or "chat" thread, we shall chat there.

Back
Top Bottom