What's new

Further cuts to defense expenditures

blain2

ADVISORS
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

So the number is PkR 293B ~ $1.4B.

This isn't an "army" budget, rather the entire Armed Forces capital acquisition budget. For clarity, this is the "capital expenditure" budget meaning this is what allows the armed forces to buy new equipment thus categorized as Armed Forces Development Plan (AFDP) funding. The remaining $10B in "defense budget" is used for upkeep, salaries, facilities, training etc.

As such, Pakistan will get to spend approx. $1.4B on capital purchases across the 3 services to try to keep its modernization efforts afoot. As can be imagined, in the overall scheme of things this is pittance.

"The original budget that the government tabled in the National Assembly on June 10 showed Rs363 billion allocations for the armed forces development programme. However, the budget provision has been reduced to Rs291 billion, according to the revised budget that the Ministry of Finance made public after its approval from the National Assembly."

This isn't an "army" budget, rather the entire Armed Forces budget. For clarity, this is the "capital expenditure" budget meaning this is what allows the armed forces to buy new equipment thus categorized as Armed Forces Development Plan (AFDP) funding. The remaining $10B in "defense budget" is used for upkeep, salaries, facilities, training etc.

Plus pensions, plus SPD, plus contingencies.

So the number is PkR 293B ~ $1.4B.

This isn't an "army" budget, rather the entire Armed Forces capital acquisition budget. For clarity, this is the "capital expenditure" budget meaning this is what allows the armed forces to buy new equipment thus categorized as Armed Forces Development Plan (AFDP) funding. The remaining $10B in "defense budget" is used for upkeep, salaries, facilities, training etc.

As such, Pakistan will get to spend approx. $1.4B on capital purchases across the 3 services to try to keep its modernization efforts afoot. As can be imagined, in the overall scheme of things this is pittance.

"The original budget that the government tabled in the National Assembly on June 10 showed Rs363 billion allocations for the armed forces development programme. However, the budget provision has been reduced to Rs291 billion, according to the revised budget that the Ministry of Finance made public after its approval from the National Assembly."
tbh I think the forum public's "eyes" are on the part of the budget that goes into salaries, pensions, and perceived perks and concessions.

PS: My old man left the PAF early and left his pension, etc on the table. So, my view on this matter is definitely a little biased. Having seen my father pursue further education and training outside of the PAF and work his way up in the non-military world... I'm of the view that we shouldn't be giving pensions to able-bodied and minded people, even if they retire. Rather, focus more on training officers and men with knowledge and skills they can transfer to the civilian world.

Yes, all those are separate heads. Point being made, capital acquisitions are paltry.

Agreed. The capital acquisitions will need to be trimmed until the finances improve, and rightfully so.

Latest weaponary is being donated to Ukraine and they in turn are selling it ahead.
If our military could exploit the situation through backdoor channels, we could have some good machines and weapons.

Considering the strategic challenges that Pak faces, a cut in Pak Fauj's capex budget is uncalled for. The budget should at least keep pace with inflation and in USD terms it shouldnt fall.

Regards

Considering the strategic challenges that Pak faces, a cut in Pak Fauj's capex budget is uncalled for. The budget should at least keep pace with inflation and in USD terms it shouldnt fall.

Regards

There is no money to do that.

tbh I think the forum public's "eyes" are on the part of the budget that goes into salaries, pensions, and perceived perks and concessions.

PS: My old man left the PAF early and left his pension, etc on the table. So, my view on this matter is definitely a little biased. Having seen my father pursue further education and training outside of the PAF and work his way up in the civilian world... I'm of the view that we shouldn't be giving pensions to able-bodied and minded people, even if they retire. Rather, focus more on training officers and men with knowledge and skills they can transfer to the civilian world.

My father did the same. He has not collected pension for the past many decades now.

However, I don't think all personnel can do that or are even able to. A lot of people cannot transfer their military skills outside very easily. I have seen this happen many times over except in general management roles etc.

finally a good news
Kindly stop instigating on each thread. If you want to do your political point-scoring, please do it on the countless other threads opened up.

For those of us who don't want to bicker on the political front, we'd like some threads kept clean of this stuff.

My father did the same. He has not collected pension for the past many decades now.

However, I don't think all personnel can do that or are even able to. A lot of people cannot transfer their military skills outside very easily. I have seen this happen many times over except in general management roles etc.

Such a pension is an earned right, and should be still collected and given to charity directly, if not needed by the recipient, IMO.

Such a pension is an earned right, and should be still collected and given to charity directly, if not needed by the recipient, IMO.
Water under/over the bridge now...

Between his investments in Defense Savings Certificates and not taking his pension, that has been his give-back post retirement. #Going strong for Pak!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom