What's new

Full-Time Defence Minister To Be Named in a 'Couple of Weeks': Arun Jaitley

Rahul9090

Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: Finance MinisterArun Jaitley, who has been handed additional charge of the important Defence portfolio in the Narendra Modi government, said on Tuesday that he expects a full-time Defence Minister to be named in a "couple of weeks."

Taking charge at the Defence Ministry this morning, a few hours after he had assumed office at the Finance Ministry, Mr Jaitley said, "Defence is an additional charge with me until the expansion of the council of ministers...It's an important ministry and needs urgent decisions." (Controlling Inflation Top Priority: Finance Minister)

Till then, Mr Jaitley said, he would spend a "reasonable amount of time" at the Defence ministry.

He expressed concern over what he called a slowdown in decision-making in defence during the Congress-led UPA regime and said expediting procurement and modernisation in the armed forces would be a top priority of the new government.

"The security of India is of vital importance. Support to our armed forces and equipment support is going to be priority area," he said.

As Mr Jaitley took over came news that a MIG-21 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force had crashed in the Bijbehara area of Anantnag district in Kashmir, killing the pilot. "My heart goes out to the pilot and his family. It's a matter of great concern (today's accident). I offer my condolences," the minister said. (MiG-21 Crashes in J&K, Pilot Dead)
On the appointment of the new Army Chief by the previous government one day before votes were counted in the general elections, Mr Jaitley said, "I firmly believe that there should be no controversy on appointment of the person concerned. Some comments may have been made regards the procedure of a person's appointment but there should be no reflection on the person concerned." (Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag is India's new Army Chief)

The Manmohan Singh government had two weeks ago announced that Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag will be the next Army chief. Mr Jaitley had written in a blog post then that the decision not to leave the announcement for the next government displayed "a high degree of arrogance even in defeat." Then too Mr Jaitley had qualified his criticism by saying that "the BJP does not wish to bring the newly appointed Army chief into any controversy."

Full-Time Defence Minister To Be Named in a 'Couple of Weeks': Arun Jaitley | NDTV.com

Perhaps VK will get the full Defense after the new Chief takes over in IA.

No chance, he has been given a separate role in the N-E and as MoS to the MEA. He was never a good candidate for Def Min.

These words from Defence Minister himself means alot for us.
"He expressed concern over what he called a slowdown in decision-making in defence during the Congress-led UPA regime and said expediting procurement and
modernisation in the armed forces would
be a top priority of the new government.
"The security of India is of vital importance.
Support to our armed forces and equipment support is going to be priority area," he said."

He has already been assigned MoS for NE states and thus he will be more interested in stopping illigal immigration from BD into NE states including Assam than anything right now.

Subramaniam Swamy :cool:

I really hope that happens. Dr. Swamy is the other man with an iron fist. If not him, I hope Modi ji keeps it with himself.

Nothing could be better for Indian military industrial complex if defence remained under the PM directly.

I really hope that happens. Dr. Swamy is the other man with an iron fist. If not him, I hope Modi ji keeps it with himself.

Nothing could be better for Indian military industrial complex if defence remained under the PM directly.

Subramniam Swamy is a raving lunatic. Modi will never make him Defence Minister if he has even a bit of common sense. He should handle it himself.

He is a bit of a crack pot despite being highly educated. Amit Shah is a possibility.

He is a bit of a crack pot despite being highly educated. Amit Shah is a possibility.

If you are referring to his fiery and unmasked comments on what he feels about Indian culture as a whole, I don't think you should call it crackpot.

He is one of the smartest strategists at Modi's disposal right now. True that there might be comments posted in lighter vein by him now and then, but he is needed.

If a sick megalomaniac like Owaisi can exist in Indian politics, a ruthless, hard-nosed, fiery and smart leader like Dr. Swamy is almost mandatory.

Especially in under Modi ji's rule.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom