What's new

From pk-15 , JF-17 Thunder and Al Khalid to fifth generation stealth fighter jet project Azm

As far as I know, MICA was not used in real.

No. The Spectra active jammer is absolutely not known except from Thales.
Specta drained 25% of the whole Rafale R&D costs (costs including radar, OSF, engine, frame...). It is HUGE. As It is not a first try from Thales in elctronic system, it means something.
Note that before Spectra, a first very advanced system, choosen against US system was the CORIACE of the belgium F16. A first time where electronic stealth was said...
For its time (1990s) - yes spectra was revolutionary.

Today some 30 years on- its architecture and capabilities have been matched(and by some US systems surpassed) by far smaller, cheaper and readily available system.

This isn’t some detriment to Spectra but simple Moore’s law in effect.

Superior GE engine, Superior Isreali / Indian radar, Lighter in weight with lot more composites, Superior agility, Far-Far superior weapon package and EW.

Superior GE engine, Superior Isreali / Indian AESA radar, Lighter in weight with lot more composites, Superior agility, Far-Far superior weapon package and EW,lower RCS, auto pilot, Auto low speed recovery, better sensor fusion, better fly by wire, lower take off and landing distance, higher payload carrying capability.

Last edited:
Superior GE engine, Superior Isreali / Indian AESA radar, Lighter in weight with lot more composites, Superior agility, Far-Far superior weapon package and EW,lower RCS, auto pilot, Auto low speed recovery, better sensor fusion, better fly by wire, lower take off and landing distance, higher payload carrying capability.

Can you tell me what the RCS of the Tejas and also the JF-17 is? Can you also tell me how RCS is measured?

Can you tell me your experience with both radar systems, alongisde the deficiencies of the other that you based your analysis off of?

What about your experience engineering and evaluating the sensors, weapons, flight control etc of both aircraft?

I eagerly await the reply of someone as knowledgable and experienced as you, someone who is so fortunate to have worked on both projects in such depth! I too aspire to be such an engineer some day

As far as I know, MICA was not used in real.

No. The Spectra active jammer is absolutely not known except from Thales.
Specta drained 25% of the whole Rafale R&D costs (costs including radar, OSF, engine, frame...). It is HUGE. As It is not a first try from Thales in elctronic system, it means something.
Note that before Spectra, a first very advanced system, choosen against US system was the CORIACE of the belgium F16. A first time where electronic stealth was said...
Do you have any information on JFT EW ?

Superior GE engine
Slightly more reliable at best

Superior Isreali / Indian radar
And where did you get this from? KLJ-7A should be on par with ELM-2052 if not better, Uttam is definitely worse than both considering India lags behind both Israel and China when it comes to this field.

Far-Far superior weapon package
LOL this is the funniest one to me

Currently the best BVRAAM integrated with Tejas is Derby which is inferior to PL-12 carried by Block 1 and Block 2, let alone PL-15

This trend continues with air to ground missiles and bombs, with JF-17 having more options and more capable weapons

Both carry pods and I can assure the Chinese system is better than whatever India can produce domestically

better sensor fusion
Was this revealed to you in a dream?

For its time (1990s) - yes spectra was revolutionary.

Today some 30 years on- its architecture and capabilities have been matched(and by some US systems surpassed) by far smaller, cheaper and readily available system.

This isn’t some detriment to Spectra but simple Moore’s law in effect.
It's like the AESA radar : the hardware is something, and it evolves also (GaaS => GaN ...) but the software is another big part.
SPECTRA evolves at each standard of the Rafale : LF1, F1, F2.1, F2.2, F3.0, F3.1, F3.2, F3.3, F3.4, F3R, next F4 ... and the software and may be more important, the data base bank, even more.
A new product today may need years and years to be so refine.

Superior GE engine, Superior Isreali / Indian radar, Lighter in weight with lot more composites, Superior agility, Far-Far superior weapon package and EW.

Superior agility - my a$$. It’s a delta wing without canards $tupid. You don’t know basics of aerodynamics.

It's like the AESA radar : the hardware is something, and it evolves also (GaaS => GaN ...) but the software is another big part.
SPECTRA evolves at each standard of the Rafale : LF1, F1, F2.1, F2.2, F3.0, F3.1, F3.2, F3.3, F3.4, F3R, next F4 ... and the software and may be more important, the data base bank, even more.
A new product today may need years and years to be so refine.

That it might evolve - but new products which are already out there are not going to take as long to evolve just as it is faster to get from F3R to F4 and future standards for the Rafale.
That is why US manufacturers not only caught up but also exceeded it with the F-35.
The AIDEWS system is in processing and BW capabilities equal to the SPECTRA known for F3 baseline standard albeit the spectra has the advantage of the distributed antennas on the Rafale. We don’t yet know where the exact capabilities of Chinese EW systems lie but much like the Turks they may not exceed French experience and capabilities but can hold their own eventually with the advantage of cost.

Eventually, SPECTRA of a possible F6(likely to be the last if the FCAS comes in) will look nothing like the SPECTRA of the F3 variant. But eventually the architecture of the Rafale will become a limitation but then it will become second tier to the FCAS.

However, that also means that whatever is planned on possible opposing sides will also advance and advance fast. It how human progress and technology works so unless there is some game changing advancement in technology from France - eventually the field gets levelled and its about smaller refinement to stay ahead or combination of multiple technologies to maintain the edge.

Superior agility - my a$$. It’s a delta wing without canards $tupid. You don’t know basics of aerodynamics.
Mirage 2000 is a delta without canrad. It's one of the best dog fighter even today.
So.....

That is why US manufacturers not only caught up but also exceeded it with the F-35.
As all the time with US citizen : USA uber alles....

The AIDEWS system is in processing and BW capabilities equal to the SPECTRA known for F3 baseline
One is "in processing" and you know nothing except the freq range of the second. So no conclusion possible.

But eventually the architecture of the Rafale will become a limitation but then it will become second tier to the FCAS.
One of the strength of Spectra is its fully open architecture. It is why it evolves so easily (to compare to EF2000 for exemple).
From the beginning fiber optics were used to connect the main time sensitive components. Don't be afraid about that.

Mirage 2000 is a delta without canrad. It's one of the best dog fighter even today.
So.....
Does that automatically also makes Tejas into a highly agile aircraft. BTW M2K is not such a great dog fighter. It losses energy on turn despite with inherently unstable and FBW.

Full of things non vital.
Full of things built in China only because we agreed to, for cost reason only.
And if the Chinese shut u off and as if u got other option? And don't tell me u can shift a factory or build a Rome in a day?

Back
Top Bottom