What's new

Frightened Iraqis flock to Delhi to escape IS misery

Marxist

Reaction score
Country
India
Delhi has become the latest destination for a large number of Iraqis who have managed to escape the dreaded Islamic State (IS) terrorists in their home country.

A large section of these Iraqis are applying to the office of United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Delhi, seeking ‘refugee’ status.

According to an estimate, about 20,000 Iraqis have arrived in India since June 2014 and most of them have claimed that they managed to escape the monstrosity of the Islamic State.

Delhi is the only other Indian city, besides Chennai, where the UNHCR has an office. These Iraqis are mostly coming from IS-occupied Mosul, Saladin, Tikrit and Kirkuk.

Several others have come from cities which are still controlled by the Iraqi government, but the terror of IS runs deep.

Besides these people who are coming to Delhi, several Iraqi students at various universities of Delhi-NCR are also stuck in India. Many of them have applied to the UNHCR, even as they are making arrangements to bring over their families from Iraq.

UNHCR Chief of Mission Dominik Bartsch said: “Earlier, about one or two Iraqis would come to us in a month, seeking ‘refugee’ status. Now the trickle has turned into a steady stream of 20 to 30 and all of them are saying that they have been running away from the Islamic State.”

Ahmed Yaseen Muhi, 31, a resident of Noida, runs a website for Iraqis in Delhi. He said: “Till about October 2014, there were only seven members on the website, including myself. The queries ranged from tourist and medical facilities to universities in Delhi. Since then the membership has shot up to 3,910 and the queries now only relate to rented accommodations in the city and the location of the UNHCR office. ”

Ahmed, a PhD scholar from JNU, barely saved his life from the militants himself when he fled Baghdad in March 2014.

“I had gone back after I finished my studies here, but the militants came knocking at my door asking if I am a Shia or a Sunni. I had to run away with my wife and my child, and come back to India.”

He is now working as a translator at a private hospital in the city.

Frightened Iraqis flock to Delhi to escape IS misery | Daily Mail Online

Persecuted Iraqis, Burmese, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Tibetans............some of them will return but most will stay, moreover, their offspring born in India will be Indian citizens.......not that I'm against helping them but we should also keep in mind that India is the 2nd most populous country in the world, we should make good, alternative arrangements for them......

why would they leave Iraq and come to India hundred of miles away ???????????????

why would they leave Iraq and come to India hundred of miles away ???????????????
as opposed to finding refuge/moving to somewhere within the ME ?

probably financial considerations.. India is safe and cheap to stay, also because the whole ME is a sectarian shithole

as opposed to finding refuge/moving to somewhere within the ME ?

probably financial considerations.. India is safe and cheap to stay, also because the whole ME is a sectarian shithole

India is safe???? and that too for Muslims ...........??? no forceful conversion ??

India is safe???? and that too for Muslims ...........??? no forceful conversion ??
I don't think there are any "forceful" conversions.. this 'ghar wapsi' bs is just a retarded religious game being played with the poorest of the poor who turn to religion because their lives are hopeless. Same with christian conversions or muslim conversions.

Delhi is completely safe for muslims, there are many Afghans, Syrians, Palestinians etc living here who have fled the violence back home and are living/working here.

I don't think there are any "forceful" conversions.. this 'ghar wapsi' bs is just a retarded religious game being played with the poorest of the poor who turn to religion because their lives are hopeless. Same with christian conversions or muslim conversions.

Delhi is completely safe for muslims, there are many Afghans, Syrians, Palestinians etc living here who have fled the violence back home and are living/working here.
i have came to know that no Muslim can get a home in Delhi these days is it true ??

india is becoming a hub of muslim refugees , i understand shias are facing a lot of problems from the radical sunnis in IRAQ but we indians have our own problems . We are still a developing country .

we had bangladeshi refuges during bangla war , and they never left .

i have came to know that no Muslim can get a home in Delhi these days is it true ??
I'll admit there is bigotry and some people wont rent to muslims but 'no Muslim can get a home in Delhi' is bs, all of my friends, acquaintances, relatives live very comfortably.

for eg I have a kashmiri muslim friend who is a pilot for a domestic carrier, next door neighbor is kashmiri pandit, they get along just fine.. I guess it all boils down to economics.

these Iraqis who are coming aren't refugees in that sense, they have money, they'll rent, go to university, look for work..

You should ask that to yourselves.Why do they opt Delhi and why didnt they opt Islamabad?
Food for thought dude .Food for thoughts.

They saw something in India that you cant offer.Right ?Now you should ask yourselves .You concept about India is right or wrong

On topic :Ok .But we should keep an eye on them.

They should be given all the help possible. Iraqis are not like illegal bangladeshis. Their country is prosperous, though currently in a big mess. They will certainly return once conditions are favourable.
It is only a matter of time before they start doing what Bangladeshis do,Even Bangladeshis in begginning were nice,later when they become accquainted with India Secularism,they will start playing power games.
First thing should be Hindus from pakistan and Bangladesh be given Asylum.
yezidis can be given asylum. Who knows how many of these migrants are ISIS sympathizers in disguise sent to spread their propaganda and create trouble in India.
is GOI watching? and taking care of situation?

Don't worry India will take care of you..
Are we that rich that we can take care of everyone in world, when there are 50+ islamic nations around the world,who are rich and can easily accomodate them.

Back
Top Bottom