What's new

Friendship and flood relief: A US helicopter pilot’s tale

T-Faz

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
I am an American helicopter pilot in Pakistan. *My colleagues and I came because Pakistan and its people are enduring the aftermath of a devastating flood. *We were ordered to be here, and we miss our homes, but most of us are glad to help because we believe it’s the right thing to do.

I did not know much about Pakistan before I arrived here. *I knew of the food. *I knew of monsoons and Mohenjo Daro, Karachi and the Khyber Pass, but I had no concept of what Pakistan looked, felt, or sounded like. I even thought many Pakistanis would want us to leave.

I had no idea what the people would be like in person. *I wondered if they would resemble the images I’d seen on TV – would they protest our presence in the streets? *Would they tolerate us? *Or would they simply ignore us and go about their business?

After a few weeks of packing and planning, we were ready to deploy. *Full of excitement and some anxiety, I kissed my wife, took one last picture and was gone.*We flew on a cargo jet from Alaska to Islamabad and the flight took so long I hardly knew whether it was day or night when we finally arrived. *Shouldering my gear, I headed to the terminal, weaving among Pakistani military and civilians on the tarmac. *A US Marine captain guided my group inside where we filled out information cards and relaxed in the cool quietness, surveying our area; smooth stone floors, low-slung furniture, and ceiling fans spinning high above. *The captain was talking to a Pakistani man who had been helping us. *Before we left, the man shook my hand and looked me in the eyes. “Thank you for coming to my poor country,” he said quietly.

I wanted to convey the depth of my feelings toward him and his homeland, but all I said was, “You would probably do the same for us” as I walked away.

That was my first interaction with a Pakistani here.

The days since arriving have passed quickly. *Every day we take rice, flour, blankets, housing materials, cooking oil – anything – up and down the Swat and Indus River Valleys. *We also bring sick, injured, and displaced people to hospitals and hometowns.

My first mission took us up the Indus river valley, and I embarrassed myself by constantly exclaiming its beauty. *Below me was the Karakorum Highway – the old Silk Road into China – and the valley itself, with terraced farmland overshadowed by majestic, snow-capped mountains.

Along with the beauty, though, I see reminders of the flood, bridges that are broken or missing and roads and fields that have been washed away. *I am beginning to see widespread reconstruction now as well and feel hope for the people in these villages. *They will soon have another way to get help.

I realize that some who read this will question our intentions and some may even wish us ill. *I certainly did not imagine that cheering throngs would greet us at each village though – we are always welcomed. *I did not expect our goodwill to be taken at face value by all of Pakistan, but we have received immense support.

I have learned in my time here that Pakistani people are truly gracious. *Strangers have invited me for chai and conversation. *Almost anyone will shake my hand and ask my name, inquire about my health and how I am getting along. *Instead of a handshake at our first meeting, I have sometimes been embraced. *“Strangers shake hands,” my new friend Mahmood explained, “but brothers hug each other.”

This warms my heart. *My mission, our mission, is straightforward, noble, and good. *I am deeply grateful to those who support us here, for we need all the help we can get in order to help those in need. * I am honored to do this work. I feel at home here beyond anything I could have expected.

Ah, home! *I miss my home, my wife and family; each day I wonder when I will see them again. But we have a humanitarian mission to accomplish. *Since I must be away, I’m glad that I am here, doing work that’s needed and good.

When I do return home, I will bring with me hundreds of pictures, dozens of journal entries, six duffel bags, and several recipes for local dishes that I have enjoyed, but I will also bring innumerable memories that I will treasure for life — memories of Pakistan and its people. *They have surprised me with friendship. *I hope that through our work of compassion we may surprise them with friendship as well.

Friendship and flood relief: A US helicopter pilot’s tale – The Express Tribune Blog

He should not forget to take some "stuff" home from Pukhtoon brothers ;-)

That will make it a ride to remember for him and he might come back after retirement for a shot :P

Great read, it brought tears in my eyes. May Allah Almighty bless all those who helped us. Ameen

I'm posting John, his Dad and brother's comments if you guys missed em.

John Bockmann: I am overwhelmed by the response to this article! So warm and gracious, concerned for my American colleagues and me–even though Pakistan itself is struggling to recover. I wish everyone could come to know Pakistan as I have: a place whose great beauty is matched by its people. Aman.

Bob Bockmann:Me, too, John — – tears coming to my eyes and a lump in my throat. I love those people, too. What warmth! What love! It streams through their words–words that are more than words–so expressive of appreciation and so affirming of that declaration, “God hath made of one blood all nations.” Love, Dad.

Dan Bockmann: John, I can’t tell you how proud I am — both of you as my brother, and of you as an American. I got tears in my eyes while reading your wonderful piece, and tears again from the outpouring of love from the Pakistani people who have commented. I’m glad that for the Pakistanis you’ve met there, you are the face of America. And I hope for a long and lasting friendship between our countries. Thank you, John, and thanks to all the wonderful Pakistani people — you have warmed my heart today!

A great story indeed . :)

Just wondering what would that another pilot be writing? :angry:

A great reply by John's mother.

Maggie Bockmann: Wajih, thank you. I find your words particularly wise.
Tahera, thank you also, but I assure you, I scarcely comprehend where this delightful soul named John might have come from. As Gibran said,
“Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.”
I trust John will not mind my telling you that in the early days of our family, we had a particularly heartbreaking religious fracture between his dad and myself. But now, by the grace of God, we are strong in all the weak places.
Thus shall it be between Christians and Muslims, your country and mine: despite the heartbreaking fractures, we shall become strong in all the weak places, and no government policies, no misguided violent people shall prevent it, because God wills it, whether we call him Allah or Jehovah, and we will it, with all our hearts. We shall support each other while respecting our differences.
And though I understand from this newspaper that some of your countrymen support the U.S. drone attacks, and I’m sure they have compelling reasons, which I shall not judge, I want you to know that I am willing to suffer whatever I must suffer to stand with the Pakistani people against such heartbreaking attacks, for no Pakistani child is worth one whit less that any American child, and mothers are the same around the world, as Wajih said.
As Kathy Kelly so poignantly says in this video, no Pakistani children should be quaking in their beds at night for fear of what devastation my countrymen may visit on them from the sky.
CIA Drone Protest, Kathy Kelly – 1/16/2010
YouTube - CIA Drone Protest, Kathy Kelly - 1/16/2010
For those who disagree, please forgive me, for I do not mean to be contentious. I am but a mother with a mother’s heart. That is my weakness and that is my power.

I am an American helicopter pilot in Pakistan. My colleagues and I came because Pakistan and its people are enduring the aftermath of a devastating flood. We were ordered to be here, and we miss our homes, but most of us are glad to help because we believe it’s the right thing to do.

I did not know much about Pakistan before I arrived here. I knew of the food. I knew of monsoons and Mohenjo Daro, Karachi and the Khyber Pass, but I had no concept of what Pakistan looked, felt, or sounded like. I even thought many Pakistanis would want us to leave.

I had no idea what the people would be like in person. I wondered if they would resemble the images I’d seen on TV – would they protest our presence in the streets? Would they tolerate us? Or would they simply ignore us and go about their business?

hospitality-640x480.jpg

After a few weeks of packing and planning, we were ready to deploy. Full of excitement and some anxiety, I kissed my wife, took one last picture and was gone. We flew on a cargo jet from Alaska to Islamabad and the flight took so long I hardly knew whether it was day or night when we finally arrived. Shouldering my gear, I headed to the terminal, weaving among Pakistani military and civilians on the tarmac. A US Marine captain guided my group inside where we filled out information cards and relaxed in the cool quietness, surveying our area; smooth stone floors, low-slung furniture, and ceiling fans spinning high above. The captain was talking to a Pakistani man who had been helping us. Before we left, the man shook my hand and looked me in the eyes. “Thank you for coming to my poor country,” he said quietly.

I wanted to convey the depth of my feelings toward him and his homeland, but all I said was, “You would probably do the same for us” as I walked away.

That was my first interaction with a Pakistani here.

The days since arriving have passed quickly. Every day we take rice, flour, blankets, housing materials, cooking oil – anything – up and down the Swat and Indus River Valleys. We also bring sick, injured, and displaced people to hospitals and hometowns.

My first mission took us up the Indus river valley, and I embarrassed myself by constantly exclaiming its beauty. Below me was the Karakorum Highway – the old Silk Road into China – and the valley itself, with terraced farmland overshadowed by majestic, snow-capped mountains.

Along with the beauty, though, I see reminders of the flood, bridges that are broken or missing and roads and fields that have been washed away. I am beginning to see widespread reconstruction now as well and feel hope for the people in these villages. They will soon have another way to get help.

I realize that some who read this will question our intentions and some may even wish us ill. I certainly did not imagine that cheering throngs would greet us at each village though – we are always welcomed. I did not expect our goodwill to be taken at face value by all of Pakistan, but we have received immense support.

I have learned in my time here that Pakistani people are truly gracious. Strangers have invited me for chai and conversation. Almost anyone will shake my hand and ask my name, inquire about my health and how I am getting along. Instead of a handshake at our first meeting, I have sometimes been embraced. “Strangers shake hands,” my new friend Mahmood explained, “but brothers hug each other.”

This warms my heart. My mission, our mission, is straightforward, noble, and good. I am deeply grateful to those who support us here, for we need all the help we can get in order to help those in need. I am honored to do this work. I feel at home here beyond anything I could have expected.

Ah, home! I miss my home, my wife and family; each day I wonder when I will see them again. But we have a humanitarian mission to accomplish. Since I must be away, I’m glad that I am here, doing work that’s needed and good.

When I do return home, I will bring with me hundreds of pictures, dozens of journal entries, six duffel bags, and several recipes for local dishes that I have enjoyed, but I will also bring innumerable memories that I will treasure for life — memories of Pakistan and its people. They have surprised me with friendship. I hope that through our work of compassion we may surprise them with friendship as well.

Flood relief: A US helicopter pilot’s tale – The Express Tribune Blog

so these are pakistanis of which Americans think that they are terrorist
if u treat them good the will be very thankful
but if u kill someone father or brother in drone attacks
what do u expect from them
u r encouriging them to become terrorist

so these are pakistanis of which Americans think that they are terrorist
if u treat them good the will be very thankful
but if u kill someone father or brother in drone attacks
what do u expect from them
u r encouriging them to become terrorist

I think you'd be very surprised... if I asked 100 average Americans in the street "What do you think about Pakistanis and their country?" Any comments related to terror would be "There may be terrorists hiding in Pakistan along the Afghan border" and they would be referring to Taliban and foreign fighters... NOT average Pakistani citizens.

I think you'd be very surprised... if I asked 100 average Americans in the street "What do you think about Pakistanis and their country?" Any comments related to terror would be "There may be terrorists hiding in Pakistan along the Afghan border" and they would be referring to Taliban and foreign fighters... NOT average Pakistani citizens.

i feel this is a highly optimistic view, i would like to believe its true but in fact i think its pretty much untrue - this is from what i have been told with people who have a pakistani background and work in the US

thanks USA. No matter how bad people think US is atleast US members and other people i know don't make fun on floods in Pakistan unlike our neighbors.

:pakistan: :usflag:

Back
Top Bottom