What's new

Fresh urgency into implementation of Swachh Bharat Rural scheme

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-bharat-rural-scheme/articleshow/53423790.cms

NEW DELHI: The government is infusing fresh urgency into implementation of the Swachh Bharat Rural scheme after a detailed review by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month triggered concerns that at its current pace the flagship cleanliness programme could miss its deadline of 2019.

Barely 11 per cent of India's 6.38 lakh villages have turned open defecation free so far, with only 17 of the 683 districts declared ODF 22 months after the programme was initiated. The programme envisages to make India totally ODF by building 12 crore toilets, of which just two crore have been built.

Big states such as Uttar Pradesh and Bihar ruled by non-NDA parties have managed to turn just 1 per cent of their villages ODF while others including Tamil Nadu, Odisha and Karnataka have reported less than 10 per cent coverage. On the other hand, BJP-ruledGujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Haryana have shown vast improvement.

Senior government officials told ET that the PM's detailed review in June for "a course correction" has led to the scheme being divided into phases, with 173 districts in 23 states being identified as "low hanging fruits" that can be turned ODF quickly due to their pace of progress and because "committed collectors" are in charge there.

Simultaneously, the Centre will closely monitor 70 districts which are the poorest performers in the country, such as Sultanpur, Agra and Etah in UP and Supaul, Araria and Madhubani in Bihar. Sikkim is the only state to turn totally ODF so far. Kerala is expected to go ODF on November 1 and Gujarat is next in line. The PM's review also left its mark in the recent cabinet reshuffle, with rural development minister Birender Singh making way for Narendra Singh Tomar and the drinking water and sanitation department, which directly oversees the project, getting a new minister of state in Ramesh Chandappa Jigajinagi.

IAS officer and World Bank expert Parameshwaran Iyer, who was brought in as the secretary in March on a two-year contract, has met UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, Bihar CM Nitish Kumar and West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee, among others, to push for the toilets project. "I am very confident that we will achieve the target on October 2, 2019. We have got 38 months. About 80 more districts could go ODF by next March," Iyer told ET.

The political support from the CM's, especially of Bihar, UP and Tamil Nadu, is crucial and hence their re-endorsement of the scheme is being sought, another official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. As an incentive for villages to compete with each other in the project, the Centre plans to rank villages from August 15 on an 'Index of Village Swachhta' in terms of their ODF status, an effective solid liquid waste management system and visual cleanliness.

swach-rural-content.jpg

@fsayed @ranjeet @Ryuzaki @Joe Shearer @magudi @Rain Man @Water Car Engineer @Levina @anant_s @PARIKRAMA @Kashmiri Pandit @proud_indian @kadamba-warrior @litefire @itachii @CorporateAffairs @Local_Legend @Star Wars @kaykay @farhan_9909 @Rajaraja Chola
@dadeechi@Sky lord @Dash @Roybot
@Skull and Bones @Godman @danish_vij @noksss @baajey @zootinali

At least there is a follow up and desire to see it through I find compared to what we are used to from the govt.

I hope this mid course correction will prove fruitful.

Last edited:
I never got the notification of ur mention...... But most of Tamil Nadu have become defacation free. But being from a rural village myself, men as a culture thing, defacate whenever they want outside inspite of having a bathroom at home.. Women's do better at using toilets.

I never got the notification of ur mention...... But most of Tamil Nadu have become defacation free. But being from a rural village myself, men as a culture thing, defacate whenever they want outside inspite of having a bathroom at home.. Women's do better at using toilets.

It is access to sanitation that is measured as the hallmark among countries. People mental faculties in making it a habit to not do it in the open will take a much longer time for sure.

The tagging glitch is becoming more prevalent, I have a theory of why its happening...but need to verify a cpl times and then tell the mods about it.

Interesting, this is very similar to the culture of 9 Gag where you pee anywhere to assert your dominance

Interesting, this is very similar to the culture of 9 Gag where you pee anywhere to assert your dominance

Same.. They feel lazy to go home to pee... :P Mens are mens... But to be fair village has lots of open areas, suitable to them.. But I can never accept guys doing that in cities.. With completely unfair to women's to futuristic childrens...

Apart from the fact that one can see mild changes happening on the ground, there is a definite increase in the awareness of common ppl. we were always nudged to "keep it clean" from the days when we were kids, but "swachchh bharat abhiyaan" is more of a tide than a million small waves.
changing mentalities will take time, but this initiative seems to be on the right path.

@Nilgiri it's not working :(

@ topic...

All urban cities faces the waste management challenge . Usually they collect the garbage and drops it on less populated areas or sometimes it becomes a social issue for the people who lives near those areas.
The problem comes because in urban areas, there is less place to live and people don't have the luxury of disposing the things in their own place .

The Confederation of Real Estate Developer's Associations of India (CREDAI) , is doing a great job in Kerala on the matter of solid waste management .

below is the image of Bio Digester Bin . They use it as in a ration of 1 : 40 Families .

bio-digester-bin.jpg

This one is for single family.

bio-bin3.jpg.image.784.410.jpg

After being hailed as a replicable model in the Union Ministry of Urban Development’s recent Municipal Solid Waste Management Manual, the CREDAI Clean City Movement (CCCM) is now set to expand its footprint to 20 cities in the country selected under the Smart Cities Mission.

The chapters of CREDAI, a nationwide agglomeration of builders, in these smart cities will take the initiative to facilitate sustainable waste management through treatment of waste at source. CCCM is a NGO formed in Kochi in 2007 as a corporate social responsibility initiative of CREDAI.

“We cover 80,000 apartments in Kerala and have already launched the movement in Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu as well. As we scale up our activities across the country, our immediate target is to cover one crore apartments in the country through 11,500 members of CREDAI. Even if 5,000 of our members take up the initiative, it would have a huge impact,” said Jose Joseph Moonjely, executive director, CCCM.

The CCCM has charted out an action plan of covering 1,000 apartments in a day for the next six months and to double it after that. It is scaling up the infrastructure capacity to meet this ambitious target. The CCCM offers three waste management solutions. It offers bio-bins and biogas plants to treat biodegradable waste to turn it into manure and biogas respectively and recycle non-biodegradable waste like plastics. “Training is being given to those from other States in the manufacture of bio-bins and gas plants and their operations since we alone cannot meet the need for equipment and training going forward,” said Mr. Moonjely.

For instance, funds have been allocated for setting up bio-bins at 50 centres in Tamil Nadu. More than 4,000 bio-bins would be needed to meet this demand, all of which cannot be manufactured in Kerala. Meanwhile, the trained staff of the CCCM is conducting sessions on the need for waste treatment at source for newly elected people’s representatives in all municipalities and panchayats in Ernakulam where 450 apartment complexes are already covered under the project. Impressed by the project, Aluva municipality has issued a circular making bio-bins mandatory for all building complexes. The CCCM treats 80 tonnes of waste in Kerala a day. Considering that a Corporation spends between Rs. 3,800 and Rs. 4,500 for treating a tonne, our initiative saves Rs.3.20 lakh a day, which runs into crores in a year, Mr. Moonjely said.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/clean-city-movement-going-places/article8376640.ece

It can be converted as Bio gas .

17da555a1e99deff8ea98f837baed6c0.jpg

Usage of plastic should be reduced . Social awareness is the key to implement a clean India. Hope , we will be there soon .

no ,got no notification ,came back to thread only to check echo_419 's upvote to my comment. It doesnot work I think.
Testing Quoting Tags to get multiple tags working.

Please can you all give a thumbs up if this works.

sigh never mind.... guys. Thanks anyway.

@PARIKRAMA what am I doing wrong? Does it have to be done when posting the post initially?

Directly afterwards as an edit or something else?

Back
Top Bottom