Four Indians abducted in Libya worked at a university

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Last Updated: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 14:07
Four Indians abducted in Libya worked at a university | Zee News

New Delhi: Three of the four Indian nationals, who have been kidnapped by militants in Libya, are teachers by profession and are employed at the Sirte University. The fourth one was working at the Sirte University branch at Jufra.

The four Indians were abducted near Sirte.

The kidnapping comes even as the fate of 39 Indians kidnapped in June 2014 from Mosul in Iraq remains unknown.

The 39 were kidnapped by the Islamic State militants.

The government maintains the men, all labourers from mostly Punjab, are still alive.

The Indian government had last year issued an advisory asking its citizens to leave Libya.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...ed-indians-hail-from-ts-ap/article7485316.ece

One of the professors abducted in Libya is from Hyderabad and the other from Srikakulam in Andhra Pradesh. Andhra Pradesh Government’s Special Representative in Delhi, K. Rama Mohan Rao on Friday communicated to the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on the identities of the two.

He said that while Gopi Krishna belongs to Hyderabad, Balaram is from Srikakulam. He said they weere abducted and being held hostage by an unknown group. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minsietr N. Chandrababu Naidu has taken note of the incident, he added.

Mr. Rao requested Ms. Sushma Swaraj to instruct the officials of Indian Embassy in Tripoli and also to interact with the Libyan Government to assist and extend full cooperation for the safe return of the Indian hostages.

Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Information and Public Relations Minister Palle Raghunatha Reddy said the State Government was making efforts for the safe release of Balaram through the cooperation of Indian and Libyan Governments.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...navdropdownwidget&utm_campaign=topnavdropdown
SWARUP_2493174f.jpg

The MEA is ascertaining the details of abduction which was carried out on July 29, spokesperson Vikas Swarup said. File photo: PTI
Four Indian nationals, working as teachers in Libya, have been abducted, the Ministry of External Affairs said on Friday. According to the Spokesperson of the MEA, Vikas Swarup, the four Indians - two from Hyderabad and two from Karnataka - were abducted on July 29.

Giving details of the abductees, he said three are faculty members in the University of Sirte and one works at the university. "Two days ago, on July 29 at around 11 pm, our Mission in Tripoli came to know that four Indian nationals who were returning to India via Tripoli and Tunis, were detained at a checkpoint approximately 50 kms from Sirte," Mr.Swarup said.

The spokesperson also said the authorities are in regular touch with the families of the abductees and that the MEA through head of mission in Tripoli is ascertaining details. "According to information available through our sources, all the four Indian nationals have been brought back to the city of Sirte," Mr. Swarup said. Sources said that since ISIS controls the former Gaddafi stronghold of Sirte, officials suspect the four men are being held by IS or forces allied to the terror group.

However, there is no clarity on whether the IS is involved in the abduction; there is also no information on any demands being made for ransom. On Friday morning, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the abduction.

The abduction comes at a time when the government is still trying to locate and release 39 Indians who were abducted in June 2014 from Mosul in Iraq. The government has steadfastly maintained that these 39 people, mostly from Punjab are still alive.

On Thursday India had issued an advisory asking its nationals to refrain from travelling to Yemen in view of the ongoing conflict and fragile security situation there.

Two of four Indians abducted in Libya by ISIS released, brought back to Sirte, says MEA | Zee News
Last Updated: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 20:04

386122-sushma700.jpg

Zee Media Bureau

Delhi: Two of the four Indians abducted in Libya have been brought back safely to University of Sirte, the Ministry of External Affairs confirmed on Friday evening.

The government said that efforts were on to secure the release of the other two.

However, it was not immediately known how they were freed.

Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted saying: "Four Indians abducted in Libya - I am happy we have been able to secure the release of Lakshmikant and Vijay Kumar. Trying for other two."

Vikas Swarup, official spokesperson, MEA also posted on micro-blogging website: "Welcome news from Libya. Two of the four detained Indians brought back safely to University of Sirte. Our efforts continue for the remaining two."

Earlier reports had said that four Indian teachers, who were returning to India from Tripoli and Tunis, had been kidnapped in Libya, allegedly by the Islamic State terror group (IS).

Of them, two are from Hyderabad, one from Raichur and one from Bengaluru.

Government had earlier said that the four Indians were "detained" at a check point, about 50 km from Sirte, as per PTI.

The area is under the control of the terror outfit.

Earlier in the morning, Swaraj had briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi about the incident as also the steps being taken by the ministry to secure their release.

(With Agency inputs)

Two of 4 abducted Indians hail from Hyderabad - The Hindu
LIBIYA_2493498f.jpg

The family members of Gopikrishna, one of the four persons who were abducted in Libiya, in a pensive mood at their house at Nacharam in Hyderabad on Friday. Photo: Nagara Gopal

While the families of two of the four ‘missing’ Indians in Libya – Gopikrishna and Balram, residing in Hyderabad are a worried lot, there was some positive news emanating from the latter’s close relations. One of Balaram’s relatives is reported to have received a call from him stating that he was ‘safe’ on Friday afternoon.

Both the ‘missing’ persons are teachers and among many from the twin cities who are in Libya on such assignments despite the internal strife there. Gopikrishna’s wife Kalyani lives in Nacharam area with their two children and she received news four days ago that her husband, working as an assistant professor in Tripoli, was ‘missing’ along with three of his friends during their trip towards Sirte.

Ms. Kalyani approached the Nacharam police last night to file a complaint about her ‘missing’ husband. While she was unwilling to talk to the hordes of mediapersons, who have descended on the house along with television cameras. Mr. Gopikrishna’s brother Muralikrishna informed that the family was not ready to share any details including photographs on the advice of the police.

Police personnel met the family and collected some information, according to Cyberabad Police Commissioner C.V. Anand.

On the other hand, there was some comforting news at Balaram’s house in Alwal on receipt of the phone call. His wife Sridevi and two teenage children live here and the last call they had received from him before he went ‘missing’ was on July 29. Both the families are now praying for their safe return.

How come two of them are released ? We have not seen anyone come out safely. This clearly proves that India has its hand in supporting Daesh. No doubt they have come in Afghanistan.

No offense, I get that many of our Indian friends are desperate to improve their living conditions and thus move abroad in search for work, often in the Arab world, but Libya of today would be one of the last places that I would visit as an Indian laborer looking for work.

It's a war zone almost for God's sake. Stay out unless absolutely necessary or risk paying the price.

This is not Libya 5 years ago.

I mean it's not like foreign laborers are flooding to enter Eastern Ukraine or Syria in comparison?

Anyway I hope that they will return safely as soon as possible.

How come two of them are released ? We have not seen anyone come out safely. This clearly proves that India has its hand in supporting Daesh. No doubt they have come in Afghanistan.

The spokesperson also said the authorities are in regular touch with the families of the abductees and that the MEA through head of mission in Tripoli is ascertaining details. "According to information available through our sources, all the four Indian nationals have been brought back to the city of Sirte," Mr. Swarup said. Sources said that since ISIS controls the former Gaddafi stronghold of Sirte, officials suspect the four men are being held by IS or forces allied to the terror group.

No offense, I get that many of our Indian friends are desperate to improve their living conditions and thus move abroad in search for work, often in the Arab world, but Libya of today would be one of the last places that I would visit as an Indian laborer looking for work.

It's a war zone almost for God's sake. Stay out unless absolutely necessary.

Anyway I hope that they will return safely.

Good to see you. You are one of my favorite poster in this forum. Since you are from ME, don't you think India has some kind of relations with Daesh because every time they capture Indians, most of them get free.

It's a war zone almost for God's sake. Stay out unless absolutely necessary or risk paying the price.

I mean it's not like foreign laborers are flooding to enter Eastern Ukraine or Syria in comparison?

Three of the four Indian nationals, who have been kidnapped by militants in Libya, are teachers by profession and are employed at the Sirte University. The fourth one was working at the Sirte University branch at Jufra.

I agree with your point, India saved thousands of her citizens few months back from Yemen. And we already have few of them returning back there.

Good to see you. You are one of my favorite poster in this forum. Since you are from ME, don't you think India has some kind of relations with Daesh because every time they capture Indians, most of them get free.

I don't know who you are buddy but I extend my greetings as usual.

I have to say no as I don't see any signs of that. The Daesh maniacs have kidnapped many people throughout Syria and Iraq and many have been freed from captivity eventually. Obviously this almost only happens when the ransom is paid. India might be one of the few countries in the world who are willing to do just that hence why there have been instances of the maniacs freeing Indian captives.

Those few armed groups in Libya are not really Daesh either. I think that 1 terrorist group have pledged alliance to the Al-Baghdadi psychopath so now they are called Daesh!

Its clearly visible that Gadaffi supporters wants to show that they are still in control. Abduction of foreign nationals is mainly to make headlines that they are still existed.

I don't know who you are buddy but I extend my greetings as usual.

I have to say no as I don't see any signs of that. The Daesh maniacs have kidnapped many people throughout Syria and Iraq and many have been freed from captivity eventually. Obviously this almost only happens when the ransom is paid. India might be one of the few countries in the world who are willing to do just that.

Those few armed groups in Libya are not really Daesh either. I think that 1 terrorist group have pledged alliance to the Al-Baghdadi psychopath so now they are called Daesh!

Thanks for answering Sir. I am new to this forum and was following your posts from quite long now because you have good knowledge about ME and history as well.

Three of the four Indian nationals, who have been kidnapped by militants in Libya, are teachers by profession and are employed at the Sirte University. The fourth one was working at the Sirte University branch at Jufra.

Yes, I could read that but teacher or not Sirte is not safe right now. Especially not for foreigners be they Arabs or non-Arabs. Many Arabs have been kidnapped by those gangs in Libya too. It's all about money obviously.

I agree with your point, India saved thousands of her citizens few months back from Yemen. And we already have few of them returning back there.

India should not allow its citizens to travel to hotspots of the world. Problem solved. They should be able to find work elsewhere.

Preferably the Indian government and every other country on the planet should look after their own first. I am sad to say this but it seems to me that the Indian regime and past ones have failed miserably with dealing with issues such as poverty. The problem is unfortunately all too big in India and it should not be like that. Controlling the population (condoms) would not hurt either.

Before you get angry at me, many Arab countries have failed miserably at taking care of their most vulnerable people too (poor people etc.). So don't shot the messenger here.

The problem in India and South Asia as a whole is just much bigger due to the sheer size of the populations.

The Arab world should understand this too. Quickly approaching 500 million people and still growing.

Thanks for answering Sir. I am new to this forum and was following your posts from quite long now because you have good knowledge about ME and history as well.

You are welcome.

Its clearly visible that Gadaffi supporters wants to show that they are still in control. Abduction of foreign nationals is mainly to make headlines that they are still existed.

Do we know whether it is a pro-Gaddafi? I have to admit that I am not up to date with the crisis in Libya. Not as I once were. Today there are too many conflicts so you have to stick to the main ones, lol. Sad but true. It's a mad, mad region of late. Wonder when the clowns will grow up?

Last edited:
India should not allow its citizens to travel to hotspots of the world. Problem solved. They should be able to find work elsewhere.

Preferably the Indian government and every other country on the planet should look after their own first. I am sad to say this but it seems to me that the Indian regime and past ones have failed miserably with dealing with issues such as poverty. The problem is unfortunately all too big in India and it should not be like that. Controlling the population (condoms) would not hurt either.

Before you get angry at me, many Arab countries have failed miserably at taking care of their most vulnerable people too (poor people etc.). So don't shot the messenger here.

The Arab world should understand this too. Quickly approaching 500 million people and still growing.

Nah I get your point and it's true, people who were brought back from Yemen were promised jobs by the state governments but they failed hence they are moving back. It's our failure which is forcing our people to go for such risky options.

Yes, I could read that but teacher or not Sirte is not safe right now. Especially not for foreigners be they Arabs or non-Arabs. Many Arabs have been kidnapped by those gangs in Libya too. It's all about money obviously.

there is also no information on any demands being made for ransom. On Friday morning, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the abduction.

Although the university has remained closed after Sirte fell to IS, the four teachers stayed on hoping it will reopen. When there was no sign of it after a long wait, they decided to return to India via Tunis some 500 km away.

Uday Itagi, an English teacher of Sebha University in South Libya, said the four set out in two taxis on Wednesday but some 50 km from Tripoli, they were waylaid near Sirte’s checkpoint by unknown men suspected to be IS militants.

Do we know whether it is a pro-Gaddafi? I have to admit that I am not up to date with the crisis in Libya. Not as I once were. Today there are too many conflicts so you have to stick to the main ones, lol. Sad but true. It's a mad, mad region of late. Wonder when the clowns will grow up?

Sources said that since ISIS controls the former Gaddafi stronghold of Sirte, officials suspect the four men are being held by IS or forces allied to the terror group.

Back
Top Bottom