What's new

Former Bangladesh Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhit has passed away

Rest in peace

Not to get political but Mal could get his treatment in Bangladesh and be satisfied with it but Khaleda begum can't/isn't ?

I mean he's a BAL big wig for crying out loud and he was getting treated in BD..

That just shows Khaleda wants to do a nawaz sharif by fleeing the country under the guise of seeing medical treatment. Pathetic hag.

Rest in peace

Not to get political but Mal could get his treatment in Bangladesh and be satisfied with it but Khaleda begum can't/isn't ?

I mean he's a BAL big wig for crying out loud and he was getting treated in BD..

That just shows Khaleda wants to do a nawaz sharif by fleeing the country under the guise of seeing medical treatment. Pathetic hag.
A PM is a higher category than a finance minister. It is a mistake to keep her capative, BAL wont be in power forever and what is being done to her will be visited on BAL.

Political imaturity at it highest.

I was not a political fan of him but it is sad to see his passing. He is a relative and at a personal level he was a really fun dude. I hope his passing was peaceful and allah grant him jannatul ferdous.

I was not a political fan of him but it is sad to see his passing. He is a relative and at a personal level he was a really fun dude. I hope his passing was peaceful and allah grant him jannatul ferdous.

Yeah I will miss his often (ahem) controversial (but funny) remarks.

But then - not to worry, we still have Chhota bhai Mr. Momen to pass more of those. 8-)

Chhota Bhai actually is more skilled than Mota Bhai in India in passing outlandish comments....

Both brothers actually have almost the same attitude. Well accomplished educated folks but Momen is a few cylinders short of a V-8.

Here's a full set of detractor remarks for Momen (take your pick),

Last edited:
A PM is a higher category than a finance minister. It is a mistake to keep her capative, BAL wont be in power forever and what is being done to her will be visited on BAL.

Political imaturity at it highest.

Ex PM and No, she doesn't deserve any favours just because she held office at some point in her life.

There's no equality in BD and powerful get away with everything but atleast it's only half of them, instead of all of them including the has-beens.

Khaleda is the spent fuel that drags the opposition and BNP in particular down, it bodes well for the country now that she's on the verge of being sidelined.

Political dynasties (and the nepotism they bring with) are a curse.

Ex PM and No, she doesn't deserve any favours just because she held office at some point in her life.

There's no equality in BD and powerful get away with everything but atleast it's only half of them, instead of all of them including the has-beens.

Khaleda is the spent fuel that drags the opposition and BNP in particular down, it bodes well for the country now that she's on the verge of being sidelined.

Political dynasties (and the nepotism they bring with) are a curse.
I am also against nepotism...

My comment was meant to convey the message that creating bad blood is not good. It will inevitably boomerang.

‘Our views and principles were similar’, says former finance minister Syeduzzaman about 'old friend' Muhith​

Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 30 Apr 2022 11:21 PM BdST Updated: 30 Apr 2022 11:21 PM BdST

Muhith-Saiduzzaman.jpg
m-sayeduzzaman-ex-finance-minister-300422-01.jpg

Former Finance Secretary M Syeduzzaman is deeply saddened by the death of his friend Abul Maal Abdul Muhith.​

A week ago, Syeduzzaman visited his ailing friend and held hands for all the while talking to him, which has now become a memory he is having troubles letting go of.​

Syeduzzaman spoke of his sorrow while mourning Muhith at his funeral prayers on Saturday at Gulshan’s Azad Mosque, which people from all walks of life took part in to say their final goodbyes.

“I visited Muhith at his home [Apr 23]. He could not take his eyes off me but couldn’t say a word. I held his hands, still not a word. The touch of his hands still stir up emotions in me,” the former finance minister remembered.

The two were friends since their student days at Dhaka University and both of them resided at Salimullah Muslim Hall. Later they were also colleagues as public servants.

“Our friendship goes way back. We spent our days at Salimullah Hall from 1951 to 1955. Muhith studied in English Department while I studied physics. He became first in IA [humanities stream] and I stood first in ISC [science] the same year. You can say we were friends for life.”
“Muhith studied in MC College and I was in Dhaka College. Later in 1956, we both passed the Pakistan Civil Services exams. Our bond shared many similarities.”

Akin to their close ties, their principles also resembled each other’s, Syeduzzaman said. They both stood down from the cabinet of Hussein Muhammad Ershad’s government due to their disagreements with the regime.

m-sayeduzzaman-ex-finance-minister-300422-01.jpg

Muhith later spent some time in development before returning to politics, but Syeduzzaman concentrated on teaching.

Along with being the finance minister of Awami League’s last two regimes, Muhith was also the minister of finance and planning in Ershad’s government in the 1980s. Syeduzzaman then followed suit and took his charge as the finance minister.
“When Ershad became the president, Muhith joined as the first of his finance ministers. But that was for less than a year,” Syeduzzaman said.

“I was then at the World Bank in Washington and returned to the country in October 1982. Ershad asked me to take up the position of finance minister. Before travelling to Washington, I was the secretary to the Ministry of Finance for five years…”

“[Muhith and I] had many similarities in advising the government by following the rules of the government policies. Because we had been public servants for a very long time. Muhith later turned to politics.”

“But we always abided by the government policies. You see, I’ve never associated myself with politics. I stepped down from Ershad’s cabinet because I didn’t agree with him on many important policies and issues.”

Muhith took up resposibility as finance and planning minister for the first time during Ershad’s government in 1982-83. Then he worked for different agencies of the World Bank and the United Nations as an advisor before returning to the country to actively take part in politics with the Awami League.

During the Liberation War, Muhith took office at the embassy in Washington, said Syeduzzaman.

Back
Top Bottom