What's new

Five US reconnaissance aircraft operate over the #SouthChinaSea, Oct 31:

Yes, irresponsible USN leak nuclear radioactive stuff in SCS.

I don't have any info on this, but I think the sub's damage was deliberate through sophisticated means and intended to send a message to the US.

I don't have any info on this, but I think the sub's damage was deliberate through sophisticated means and intended to send a message to the US.
In the first place, if they send sub to sneak into Chinese water at paracel island. Dont blame others if your sub got whacked.

Cant afford to play the game then better dont sneak at other.

In the first place, if they send sub to sneak into Chinese water at paracel island. Dont blame others if your sub got whacked.

Cant afford to play the game then better dont sneak at other.
There is no such thing as “chinese” waters in the south sea. Otherwise the Japanese, Indians and thousand other dreamers can claim vast waterways as theirs.
By the way the US only operates nuclear submarines. They haven’t conventional submarines anymore.

No such thing.

Hollywood culture inspiring vivid imaginations though.

USS Connecticut can launch bots and use them to create surveillance nods and/or as countermeasures to other submerged tools well in advance while it remains in passive mode itself. This is rarely discussed capability. Seawolf class is a class in itself when it comes to warfare technologies and surveillance.

But accidents can happen.

Russia lost a big submarine due to internal mishap in 2000; 115 sailors died onboard.

Nature presents its own challenges to humans in various matters.

Over international waters, US will do it and china can only protest, whats new here?

No such thing.

Hollywood culture inspiring vivid imaginations though.

USS Connecticut can launch bots and use them to create surveillance nods and/or as countermeasures to other submerged tools well in advance while it remains in passive mode itself. This is rarely discussed capability. Seawolf class is a class in itself when it comes to warfare technologies and surveillance.

But accidents can happen.

Russia lost a big submarine due to internal mishap in 2000; 115 sailors died onboard.

Nature presents its own challenges to humans in various matters.

Absolutely.

Did I say I am CERTAIN that it was not an accident? Obviously not. I am saying I personally believe that it wasn't.

Also, there have been cases when it really has been sabotaged (only revealed decades later when information is declassified). Airplane accidents also happen, like an engine going out midair and potentially causing a fuel-related large explosion that then depressurizes the cabin, etc. --- is Zia's death therefore CERTAINLY an accident?

Many 'accidents' can be the result of foul play --- we may never know. There is nothing 'Hollywood' about this. The French DGSE blew up a Greenpeace vessel (and killed someone on board) as it was protesting French nuclear tests in the sea.

Could this submarine have met a genuine accident? Of course! But could it have been a victim of something else? Also possible.

That's all I'm saying.

Absolutely.

Did I say I am CERTAIN that it was not an accident? Obviously not. I am saying I personally believe that it wasn't.

Also, there have been cases when it really has been sabotaged (only revealed decades later when information is declassified). Airplane accidents also happen, like an engine going out midair and potentially causing a fuel-related large explosion that then depressurizes the cabin, etc. --- is Zia's death therefore CERTAINLY an accident?

Many 'accidents' can be the result of foul play --- we may never know. There is nothing 'Hollywood' about this. The French DGSE blew up a Greenpeace vessel (and killed someone on board) as it was protesting French nuclear tests in the sea.

Could this submarine have met a genuine accident? Of course! But could it have been a victim of something else? Also possible.

That's all I'm saying.
Dear, I can see your point but this case is pretty straightforward.

Reported patterns of damage suggest that USS Connecticut ran into something from the front. The force of collision was such that the submarine had to abandon its operation and was diverted towards Guam for inspection. This could happen while the submarine was operating in passive mode to minimize its footprint. Active sonar provides accurate navigational picture on the other hand. This is not a small submarine, and its technologies are world class. In case of alleged sabotage, its movement should be known to the adversary well in advance and what became of the rammed object? It cannot be a small object either. And nobody knew anything until Americans broke the news themselves. In came a flurry of speculations then - some easy to debunk.

When WE intercepted an Indian Scorpene class near our waters, WE broke the news and provided footage of the intercept to Indians. This was natural reaction. WE had something to prove.

Investigation of the incident involving late COAS Zia-ul-Huq created the impression that it was an act of sabotage. Those who were involved had insider information and could their homework well in advance.

I mentioned Hollywood because movies make submarines and efforts to defeat them look trivial.

Therefore.

all talk no play makes Jack a dull boy
Play ship crash?

When The Chinese air force hangs around Taiwan, the US says it will defend the Diaoyu Islands.
When the Chinese navy loitered near Japan, the US claimed it would defend Taiwan.
The US says it supports freedom of navigation in the South China Sea as China's power loiters near both Taiwan and Japan.

Where is the US Navy when your good dog Japan needs it? Why didn't the US-Japan security treaty come into force when four Chinese coast guard ships rammed Japanese patrol vessels?

Dear, I can see your point but this case is pretty straightforward.

Reported patterns of damage suggest that USS Connecticut ran into something from the front. The force of collision was such that the submarine had to abandon its operation and was diverted towards Guam for inspection. This could happen while the submarine was operating in passive mode to minimize its footprint. Active sonar provides accurate navigational picture on the other hand. This is not a small submarine, and its technologies are world class. In case of alleged sabotage, its movement should be known to the adversary well in advance and what became of the rammed object? It cannot be a small object either. And nobody knew anything until Americans broke the news themselves. In came a flurry of speculations then - some easy to debunk.

When WE intercepted an Indian Scorpene class near our waters, WE broke the news and provided footage of the intercept to Indians. This was natural reaction. WE had something to prove.

Investigation of the incident involving late COAS Zia-ul-Huq created the impression that it was an act of sabotage. Those who were involved had insider information and could their homework well in advance.

I mentioned Hollywood because movies make submarines and efforts to defeat them look trivial.

Therefore.

I totally get your point and even agree with it.

I am making a more fundamental, philosophical point: we can never really know.

We can definitely debate probabilities. If your position is that it is improbable that there was some deliberate Chinese action, that is a fair argument and I fully respect it!

I was thinking about the submarine situation. If I was leading the country, I would have let it enter and then destroyed it.

Back
Top Bottom