What's new

Five reasons why Indonesia's presidential election matters

It's not that clear cut as before. Since Sby time, i know several Chinese that already involved either directly or indirectly in politic. Either as participant (caleg) in local election or in the last president election, become witness for Jokowi side in their TPS.

Imo only the older generation who directly experience the PKI purge era still afraid of anything that have connection with politic.

Well, my generation from new order era..
And I learned a lot from 98...

Well, my generation from new order era..
And I learned a lot from 98...

You are not the only one. Yet many Chinese from your generation and era take a similar but different lesson, cautiously optimistic.

You are not the only one. Yet many Chinese from your generation and era take a similar but different lesson, cautiously optimistic.
Optimistic and realistic is much better than optimistic and naive..

There's different with naive, hoping for thing to get better or simply being bitter....
I guess we have wandered quite far off from the main topic
look if I were a Chinese Indonesian, I would've done the exact same thing... Chinese Indonesian were denied to use their traditional names, denied their religion, and even their own languages, those were the long and thick dark pages in our history and it takes at least a generation to heal the wound

I can understand if there are bitter and traumatic view of your outlook

one thing that doesn't help and even jeopardize what we have been through

again, that is being bitter and NOT doing anything, it's like rubbing acid on everybody face... People become bitter and not supportive of your view

do you know how serious was the violations that you had, being denied your right to vote, jokowi's margin of winning is very thin... And by you and people who hold your view did nothing the margin becomes even thinner... You're essentially making your hope even further, and your worst predictions-god forbid- closer

you could've done many thing!! Report it anonymous... Report to local jokowi's team anonymous.. Or any other creative thing that still makes you "stay low profile"!

You don't, but some of you still have some grudge toward chinese, u can find it in some of the members here, :partay:

About fleeing abroad, that's just some precaution, better flee know then regret it later.:victory1:

Ahh don't say your people don't have same attitude toward us non chinese here. 8-) .. but I know there are some good chinese so I refuse to generalize.

It goes both ways my friend. It is time to build mutual trust and respect for a better future. Start with our own self. :-)

@Phukimak , I wonder though.. If you see Indonesia so evil bad, as a lawless chinese haters country.. why don't you flee permanently?

Your habit of fleeing then whining is not going to help make things better... overly sad if it only just because of a prejudice and rumor.

Ahok was fled from Jakarta in 1998.. but he is not losing faith... he then came back and now govern the city supported by majority who aren't even Tionghoa.
A lot of Tionghoa chose to stay and have faith with the future, why can't you?

Baru menyinggung etnis di social media saja udah jadi masalah besar sekarang ini, isu sensitif... apalagi urusan bantai etnis.

Last edited:
alright alright.... Before the discussion turn ugly and emotion runs high... We need to toned down and restraint our language
we don't need to brag dirty laundry here

Ahh don't say your people don't have same attitude toward us non chinese here. 8-) .. but I know there are some good chinese so I refuse to generalize.

It goes both ways my friend. It is time to build mutual trust and respect for a better future. Start with our own self. :-)

@Phukimak , I wonder though.. If you see Indonesia so evil bad, as a lawless chinese haters country.. why don't you flee permanently?

Your habit of fleeing then whining is not going to help make things better... overly sad if it only just because of a prejudice and rumor.

Ahok was fled from Jakarta in 1998.. but he is not losing faith... he then came back and now govern the city supported by majority who aren't even Tionghoa.
A lot of Tionghoa chose to stay and have faith with the future, why can't you?

Baru menyinggung etnis di social media saja udah jadi masalah besar sekarang ini, isu sensitif... apalagi urusan bantai etnis.

please don't twisted my words! the context of lawless because the law can be buy with money!

chinese hater? where the hell you get that impression? i giving you a fact! kids, maybe u just born yesterday, so you dont know shit!

i got business here, and feed your people.. like it or not, you guys also depends on indonesian chinese..

alright alright.... Before the discussion turn ugly and emotion runs high... We need to toned down and restraint our language
we don't need to brag dirty laundry here

as you wish! i'm out..

Year 1998, I saw the image via Internet!. It was really sad sad story.
I met an Indonesian Chinese girl in U.S. I asked her if she would stay in U.S or return to Indonesia.
She said Indonesia was very dangerous. She can't live there. Even to buy something 100 meters away from home, she need to drive. Otherwise too dangerous. During 1998 riots she was lucky to stay/study at Taiwan.

please don't twisted my words! the context of lawless because the law can be buy with money!

chinese hater? where the hell you get that impression? i giving you a fact! kids, maybe u just born yesterday, so you dont know shit!

i got business here, and feed your people.. like it or not, you guys also depends on indonesian chinese..

as you wish! i'm out..

hahah looks like you are the one that just got out of your cave yesterday.

anyway, you wonder why some of you got smacked in 98? read the part that I just bold for you, that kind of attitude might get anyone disliked, it just happened that many chinese indonesians have that kind of mind, there you got your answer. Don't worry, my best friend here is a chinese "totok", and I don't hate chinese, but I do hate people who looks down on other people and refuse to see what's on the other side. Pretty much like you.

I met an Indonesian Chinese girl in U.S. I asked her if she would stay in U.S or return to Indonesia.
She said Indonesia was very dangerous. She can't live there. Even to buy something 100 meters away from home, she need to drive. Otherwise too dangerous. During 1998 riots she was lucky to stay/study at Taiwan.

that time, my family in hongkong, another relative in singapore..
our business totally destroyed.
and we must rebuild our business from zero.. lol..
hard times.. glad can make it..

hahah looks like you are the one that just got out of your cave yesterday.

anyway, you wonder why some of you got smacked in 98? read the part that I just bold for you, that kind of attitude might get anyone disliked, it just happened that many chinese indonesians have that kind of mind, there you got your answer. Don't worry, my best friend here is a chinese "totok", and I don't hate chinese, but I do hate people who looks down on other people and refuse to see what's on the other side. Pretty much like you.

what? do you think i lie about the fact?

whatever dude... i'm tired talking with you

what? do you think i lie about the fact?

whatever dude... i'm tired talking with you

Why are so sensitive? I didn't say you were lying about the fact, in fact nobody was talking about that.

I was criticizing you, you played victim too far, you blamed people of hating your people while you look down on most of them who, in fact, were neutral enough not to hate you or your people in the first place. It is like the pre-WW2 jews in Europe who demanded to be treated and accepted equally by the german mass but they refused to look the german workers equally. They had the so called "Ueberlegenheitsgefuhl" or "Congkak" in our language.

You blamed non-chinese Indonesians for their behaviour towards chinese in 98's, it is okay to me, because yes, I acknowledge that the 98 tragedy was tragic and is not to be repeated in the future.

But to prevent that from happening again, we need a mutual cooperation. Let me put this easier for you, you simply want to be loved by your countrymen is that right? why don't you start loving them and stop thinking that you feed non-chinese or non-chinese can't live without chineses? We are talking about a goddamn country, without the non-chinese giving the chinese an equal footing, the chinese wouldn't be prosperous today, the same with the non-chinese workers who need the chinese businessmen to employ them.

So stop thinking like a self-centered douche and think big, we live in a circle and we need each other. If you want to be seen as an ordinary Indonesian, start blending in and adapt.

Why are so sensitive? I didn't say you were lying about the fact, in fact nobody was talking about that.

I was criticizing you, you played victim too far, you blamed people of hating your people while you look down on most of them who, in fact, were neutral enough not to hate you or your people in the first place. It is like the pre-WW2 jews in Europe who demanded to be treated and accepted equally by the german mass but they refused to look the german workers equally. They had the so called "Ueberlegenheitsgefuhl" or "Congkak" in our language.

You blamed non-chinese Indonesians for their behaviour towards chinese in 98's, it is okay to me, because yes, I acknowledge that the 98 tragedy was tragic and is not to be repeated in the future.

But to prevent that from happening again, we need a mutual cooperation. Let me put this easier for you, you simply want to be loved by your countrymen is that right? why don't you start loving them and stop thinking that you feed non-chinese or non-chinese can't live without chineses? We are talking about a goddamn country, without the non-chinese giving the chinese an equal footing, the chinese wouldn't be prosperous today, the same with the non-chinese workers who need the chinese businessmen to employ them.

So stop thinking like a self-centered douche and think big, we live in a circle and we need each other. If you want to be seen as an ordinary Indonesian, start blending in and adapt.

well said, no need for me to use abusive language anymore

tadinya mau tak semprot itu orang

it is true, or maybe u can say that was what they feel.

There is a case in which babinsa or 城管 in china, they were asking which candidate they will choose, those 城管 were pointing their finger to certain candidate, that's make it look like they were forced to choose that candidate. Anyway, they were already punished.;)

You don't, but some of you still have some grudge toward chinese, u can find it in some of the members here, :partay:

About fleeing abroad, that's just some precaution, better flee know then regret it later.:victory1:

I know you, and your credibility has long gone

well said, no need for me to use abusive language anymore

tadinya mau tak semprot itu orang

We don't need to use abusive language to our own countrymen. Phukimak, regardless his SARA views, is still one of our countrymen. I just wanted to give him insight, I mean I have many chinese-indo friends here in Germany and none of them have the mind like Phukimak's. They even prefer to be called just "indonesian". The way Phukimak behaves is actually shocking to me.

Yup, please get info from people who has intellectual and rational (actually you get the story from person that was not there at that time) , this one I gave you a words from @Maxtini :

"The proper way to describe the event in 1998 is a political and economic chaos that victimized the whole Indonesians, not just Chinese.

The potrayal of 1998 riots in Chinese community is so distorted as if all the victims were only Chinese and the sole riots is because of Chinese. The one who died the most was Indonesian themselves who protested against the government. Anti-chinese riots were only a part of it in a chaotic opprtunity. In the end, it is all the Indonesian that were the victims.

To single out an ethnic group and describe the event only revolving around them are a distortion of history.

NB: There seems to be allegedly "rape photo" circulating around Chinese website that purportedly attributed to 1998 riots. Those were later proven to be fake photo from **** website "Sexy Asian Schoolgirls".

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom