What's new

First Super Tucano aircraft roll out for Afganistan.

It was build for a COIN role, it was never meant to be a "Air Force aircraft" - and it actually posses a lot of attack capabilities.

Seeing as you had mentioned it as a transition platform for F-16s, I had to make that assessment.

@Icarus; you have listed one of the Cons as "Slow". That sir; can also work as a Pro. Flying slow and low allows the Pilot to pin-point his target/s. A Jet pilot flies over terrain and his target passes in a blink of an eye. Now that is one hell of a wasteful and expensive way to target and engage his 'prey'. Apart from issues of "collateral damage" which can (probably) be discounted to some extent.
Rotary-Winged platforms can also work well, but turbo-props work even better and cost-effectively to boot. Of course there is another good option, viz. UCAVs. I'd plump for a Super Tucano over a F-16 (or even a JF-17) any day. While the Jets may make for "good press" (propaganda), the Turbo-Props can do some real "meat-grinding".

Indeed, any aircraft operating for CAS role can use a low stall speed to its advantage but its a trade-off for greater evasion capabilities. A-10 which is built for CAS roles can speed up after making a pass which the Tucano can't, though it is more maneuverable at lower speeds. And I agree, if I were to choose between this and an F-16 to call in for CAS, I'd be calling in the Tucano any day.

Afghanistan is kept weak on purpose.Though they should have rather financed a deal for tejas mk1 for Afghansitan as i know IAF will never induct tejas.

These aircraft are PERFECT for COIN. Giving the Afghans F-16's is useless and impractical.
If PA had some of these in PAA, they'd be used, you can bet they'd be used well.

Considering the notoriety that Afghan forces maintain their western equipment with, expect Tucano parts on sale at OLX Peshawar.

These aircraft are PERFECT for COIN. Giving the Afghans F-16's is useless and impractical.
If PA had some of these in PAA, they'd be used, you can bet they'd be used well.

Not exactly perfect, but very cheap, reliable and cost effective i'd say, plus very easy to train and fly on. However, sometimes you need to drop 2000lb ers on bunkers/buildings, F-16s rule in that role.

Nice stepping stone for Afghani air force.
We can give them Tejas MKII or Mk III in 2030s when production line for IAF closes along with our older MK 1s
but you do try to be a bitch whenever we try to buy latest equipment from US

It's afghans who are to blamed for that... Who couldn't even maintain those aircrafts:

From Solution to Scrapheap: The Afghan AF’s C-27A Transports
Enrich yourself: US scraps entire fleet of Afghan cargo planes - News - Stripes

Would it make sense to give AAF C-130s, if they couldn't maintain C-27s?

Nice stepping stone for Afghani air force.
We can give them Tejas MKII or Mk III in 2030s when production line for IAF closes along with our older MK 1s

AAF would need fighters in early 2020s, it will probably be F-16s that will fulfil that role.

And that is the war that Afghanistan is fighting. Some people seem to think that Afghanistan needs F-16's instead. To shoot down...who? To attack who's tanks or command centers? Afghanistan is not fighting a war against Pakistan but against insurgents that the Super Tuc's were designed for. I have worked with those aircraft in Colombia and they are about the best COIN a/c around.

Hello,

Any figures on flight cost / hour ?
Average time between failure ?
mean time to repair ?

Lastly, has it be equipped with hellfires ?

Thanks

They are capable of carrying bombs, last time I checked, the Taliban are still vulnerable to aircraft.

Congrats Afghnaistan

Hi! :wave:
Any figures on flight cost / hour ?
Approx. $1,000USD per flight hour
Average time between failure ?
mean time to repair ?
I don't know the specific answers to those questions but it average between just 1.7-2 hours of maintenance per flight hour. Very low for a combat a/c.
Lastly, has it be equipped with hellfires ? Thanks
It has, but I do not know if Afghanistan has ordered them.

Hi! :wave:

Approx. $1,000USD per flight hour

I don't know the specific answers to those questions but it average between just 1.7-2 hours of maintenance per flight hour. Very low for a combat a/c.

It has, but I do not know if Afghanistan has ordered them.

Good info; thanks for that.

I'm going to try and find out more about maintenance periods and procedures.

it will be soon used by afghan talibans people within afghan forces against u.s

some comments above are hilarious...

View attachment 88440

it carries guns,guided bombs,rockets,a2a missiles,AGM missiles..it is more than enough to @$$fkuc talibastards..

as some guys were pricking Afghanistan for not having modern airforce,its mainly due to Pakistan's b!tch!ng USA is not going to provide them tanks,arty and other heavier equipments.
no stupid, its cost of operation
it takes 3-4K per hour for modern jet vs few 100s for such aircrafts

Back
Top Bottom