What's new

First ever pics of Arihant, Arighat and Chakra parked close to each other!

amardeep mishra

Reaction score
Country
India
These are perhaps the first ever pics available in public domain via Google Earth, wherein one can see the Arihant parked besides Chakra. As one can see, Arihant is slightly longer than the Chakra, perhaps as much as 10m longer. However the beam seems smaller. In the pics one can easily identify that the hatch of one of the silos is open and a solitary missile is mounted. This might mean K-4 is present on Arihant. Judging by the pic, it seems the hull can accommodate 8 silos easily. This is perhaps the reason why Arighat is rumoured to have 8 silos instead of 4. If Arighat is ever reconfigured to carry Brahmos (as SSGNs), it can easily carry 24 of them - a very potent ANTI-CBG force structure.
Also slightly up north, one can see, Arighat being anchored in one of the hangars.
arihant1.jpg

Pic Courtesy: BR
arighat.png

@Nilgiri
@The Deterrent
@Joe Shearer
@Shaheen Missile
PS: These pics are available in public domain via the Google Earth

Last edited:
as a Pakistani, this worries me a lot. the growth of IN is impressive anyways.
Hi @S.Y.A
Lets hope it never turns nuclear! I am certainly not in favour of any nuclear showdown however healthy competition is very good. Within a few years, IN will have at least 4 SSBNs and 1 SSN. Now the next logical step would be to develop a fleet of SSNs to guard the SSBNs on patrol- like the major nuclear navies did. But that would require a radically new reactor type as compared to the one present on Arihant and her sister boats. The new reactor should be capable of accelerating the sub as fast as possible and the full power of the reactor should be available in as smaller time frame as possible. This is necessary in situations where the SSN might have to outrun the ASW forces or dash towards an enemy SSBN. The reactor would have to be ~190MW. BARC is currently working on such a reactor.
Also what a lot of people dont know is the fact that Arihants were conceived as SSGNs capable of firing long range anti ship cruise missiles. It was only in 90s(late 90s) that the naval high command decided that they want an SSBN. Arihant, subjected to minor mods can carry 12 brahmos, Her sister boats, if ever converted to SSGNs can easily carry 24 Brahmos-- a very respectable force structure to counter chinese CBGs.

Hi!
I do not choose any names for anyone. Actually I can read urdu, learnt it almost 14 years back. So that's what his urdu name reads. Shaheen mizzail or anglicised version shaheen missile.

Yes I mean tagging him with english rather than Urdu. Because there is another member apparently called Shaheen that ends up being tagged (probably no longer here though).

There is no more USSR to guarantee India of unconditional support. This is a different world now.

As I have been saying this for years to Indians, just wait till the USA+NATO leaves Afghanistan. You will finally awake and understand your true place in this world, and the next.
What does a nuclear submarine has to do with afganistan???
Troll + off topic = reported

as a Pakistani, this worries me a lot. the growth of IN is impressive anyways.
In fact, india Navy is underachieved. Domestic carrier project struggle, domestic scorpene project is very slow. Many of the sub system needed to procure from over seas like gas turbine engine, missile system and radar/fire control.

The missile range carry by Indian SSBN is pathetic short. India Navy global projection is still very limited. Large replenishment ship and amphibious ships are far cry from the number required.

In fact, india Navy is underachieved. Domestic carrier project struggle, domestic scorpene project is very slow. Many of the sub system needed to procure from over seas like gas turbine engine, missile system and radar/fire control.

The missile range carry by Indian SSBN is pathetic short. India Navy global projection is still very limited. Large replenishment ship and amphibious ships are far cry from the number required.

Good you earned your 5 cent paycheck. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom