What's new

Finally, India’s Population Growth Under Control even as Infant Mortality Falls by 30% in a Decade!

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
India to reach replacement levels of fertility by 2020
\
mortality_2253620e.jpg

Total fertility rate in 8 States below 2 children per woman

Fertility is falling faster than expected in India, and the country is on track to reach replacement levels of fertility as soon as 2020, new official data shows.

The 2013 data for the Sample Registration Survey (SRS), conducted by the Registrar General of India, the country’s official source of birth and death data, was released on Monday.

The SRS shows that the Total Fertility Rate – the average number of children that will be born to a woman during her lifetime – in eight States has fallen below two children per woman, new official data shows.

Just nine States – all of them in the north and east, except for Gujarat – haven’t yet reached replacements levels of 2.1, below which populations begin to decline. West Bengal now has India’s lowest fertility, with the southern States, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh. Among backward States, Odisha too has reduced its fertility to 2.1.

“At 2.3, India is now just 0.2 points away from reaching replacement levels. Fertility is declining rapidly, including among the poor and illiterate. At these rates, India will achieve its demographic transition and reach replacement levels as early as 2020 or 2022,” Dr. P. Arokiasamy, a demographer and Professor at the International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), Mumbai, explained to The Hindu.

24503107.cms

The news on the other key indicator in the SRS - the infant mortality rate (IMR) - is less positive. India’s IMR has fallen to 40 deaths per 1,000 live births, and 49 deaths of children under the age of 5 for every 1,000 live births, but at these rates is unlikely to meet its Millenium Development Goals for 2015. IMR has fallen faster in rural areas than in urban areas.

Among the metro cities, Chennai has the lowest IMR (16). Among states, Kerala has by far the best IMR at 12 deaths per 1,000 live births; the next best states, Delhi and Maharashtra, have IMRs that are twice that of Kerala.

Another worrying trend that continues is the unnaturally higher mortality rates both for infant girls and for girls under the age of five than for boys, a trend that runs contrary to the global trend.

Source:- India to reach replacement levels of fertility by 2020 - The Hindu
Infant mortality down by 30% in past decade - The Times of India

A good news!!!

But in some other countries like Japan these would 've been worrying trends
average number of children that will be born to a woman has fallen below two children per woman,
Fertility is declining rapidly, including among the poor and illiterate.
For the time being its a boon, we finally wont 've a population explosion as predicted.And countries like America wont blame us for eating up half of the grains produced.

Last edited:
A good news!!!

For the time being its a boon, we finally wont 've a population explosion as predicted.And countries like America wont blame us for eating up half of the grains produced.
Population explosion has already occured. 1.25bn people on 2.8 mn sq. KM is crazy. Replacement levels of fertility only mean that. Falling death (fallen) rate is entirely ignored:disagree:. Even then, we aren't there yet. UP, Bihar, Raj, MP CG have the highest populations and all of them still have fertility rates around 3:frown:. The only thing left to do is to mitigate its effect. Just put a moratorium on having children for 20 years:flame:.

A good news!!!

Well we dont need American certificate for our food necessity and security.

Population explosion has already occured. 1.25bn people on 2.8 mn sq. KM is crazy. Replacement levels of fertility only mean that. Falling death (fallen) rate is entirely ignored:disagree:. Even then, we aren't there yet. UP, Bihar, Raj, MP CG have the highest populations and all of them still have fertility rates around 3:frown:. The only thing left to do is to mitigate its effect. Just put a moratorium on having children for 20 years:flame:.

Majority of our 1.25 billion population is still residing in BIMARU especially UP and Bihar.UP alone would be around 20 crore.

The only thing left to do is to mitigate its effect. Just put a moratorium on having children for 20 years:flame:.
Is it possible in a country where religious heads say that so and so religion's population is increasing X % so we must also produce more kids (as if its a production house :rolleyes: ) ??

Well we dont need American certificate for our food necessity and security.
Just saying...because thats what makes headlines internationally.

Is it possible in a country where religious heads say that so and so religion's population is increasing X % so we must also produce more kids (as if its a production house :rolleyes: ) ??

I think it was that Bush who made that claim .:unsure:

I still remember a news where a Hindu saint from NI came here to take a class about Hinduism.
He asked to entire Hindu population in India to create 10 kids for each family so they can maintain their own dharma.Such a moron :lol:
A Bishop in Kerala was also asked their followrrs for that.

This is not a good news. Negative growth in population is worst than explosive growth. It portends economic crash and demographic instability.

Government should stop general family planning propaganda, and should start managing population by specifically targeting breeders.

No, it was during Nixon Era. We have been self sufficient in foodgrains since 1970.

You should know:D. I'm of the opposing gender:happy:.
I wish I could kick your keister. 8-)
But then thats how those religious leaders see woman as, so I cant really do anything about it.

I still remember a news where a Hindu saint from NI came here to take a class about Hinduism.
He asked to entire Hindu population in India to create 10 kids for each family so they can maintain their own dharma.Such a moron :lol:
A Bishop in Kerala was also asked their followrrs for that.
I do remember that bishop making his famous lines which was telecasted repeatedly in the malayalam news. :lol:

Somebody said it during the last climate change conference too. Lol

I wish I could kick your keister. 8-)
But then thats how those religious leaders see woman as, so I cant really do anything about it.

I do remember that bishop making his famous lines which was telecasted repeatedly in the malayalam news. :lol:

Somebody said it during the last climate change conference too. Lol

Well .Now a days parents have to spend their entire energy and life savings for their childrens good life and education .
Most of them are facing difficulties even if they have only two childrens.

Then howcan they imagine about 10 childrens ?
These religious leaders dont have anything in their except religion and its growth

Excellent news ! Remember, higher quality human resources is gonna grow india, not borrowed money or tech.

Back
Top Bottom