What's new

Fifth generation fighter crosses milestone

There is another reason, China. India can not trust anybody, yes Russia as a nation has been a time tested friend but that doesn't mean all Russians are. Either via espionage or bribery sensitive information can land up in Chinese hands rendering these high tech fighters useless.

Ideally we should be making the avionics and mission computers all on our own to make sure no information falls into our enemies hands.

Hmm, indeed I had not considered this reasoning. Yes, it could be a case of taking out two birds with one stone- India gets the best package for their 5th gen fighters and gets to keep some sensitive info to themselves and no one, not even the Russians, will have a perfect understanding of the capabilities of the IAF's FGFAs.

Good point @Roybot!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another reason, China. India can not trust anybody, yes Russia as a nation has been a time tested friend but that doesn't mean all Russians are. Either via espionage or bribery sensitive information can land up in Chinese hands rendering these high tech fighters useless.

Ideally we should be making the avionics and mission computers all on our own to make sure no information falls into our enemies hands.

I think it has more to do with mission profile, standardization, Indigenization
operational doctrine than fear of spy work, after all India operates wide range of Russian systems which are not modified.

I think it has more to do with mission profile, standardization, Indigenization
operational doctrine than fear of spy work, after all India operates wide range of Russian systems which are not modified.

Yes but when you consider the strategic implications of this one system then for sure one cannot rule out any espionage angle. You can bet your house there will be a flood of such attempts to get any info on the FGFA later this decade and not just from the Chinese but many others. As you say a lot of it is to do with genuine technical demands but it could still be a sae of "two birds, one stone".

I agree, it is over-simplistic to call it the FGFA a "MKIised" PAK-FA however that was the point, I was trying to put it in simply terms, but fair enough @sancho, as usual you are right!

What do you expect the differences to be on the FGFA over and above avionics, software and a bit of hardware (HUD, HMDS, IFF for eg) on the PAK-FA/T-50 @sancho?

Infact the complete cockpit layout could be different if we wanted and more suitable to the requirements of our pilots and not only the same layout but Indian displays instead of Russian, like it seems to be the case for Super 30. Consider this:

Su 35 cockpit
SU35B.jpg

Speculated Super 30 cockpit with Indian displays
141563_63478164_su35spitcabina.jpg

T50/Pak Fa cockpit
T50%20cockpit%20defencenet.jpg

HALBIT cockpit for FGFA?
halbitng1.jpg

Besides we know that Indians are already involved in the development of the AESA radar, with customised Indian systems, I would hope for a joint attempt on the NG engine and the nozzles, but so far I couldn't find any reliable source for that.

One question, what is the NATO reporting name of the Pak FA/FGFA ???

I somewhere read that its gonna be Firefox but can someone confirm?????

Why should we care about NATO reporting names, they give stupid names anyway. PAK-FA/FGFA sounds better than Firefox which is the name of a popular web browser.
BTW I have the latest version of Firefox :P

Infact the complete cockpit layout could be different if we wanted and more suitable to the requirements of our pilots and not only the same layout but Indian displays instead of Russian, like it seems to be the case for Super 30. Consider this:

Su 35 cockpit
SU35B.jpg

Speculated Super 30 cockpit with Indian displays
141563_63478164_su35spitcabina.jpg

T50/Pak Fa cockpit
T50%20cockpit%20defencenet.jpg

HALBIT cockpit for FGFA?
halbitng1.jpg

Besides we know that Indians are already involved in the development of the AESA radar, with customised Indian systems, I would hope for a joint attempt on the NG engine and the nozzles, but so far I couldn't find any reliable source for that.

looks like our super sukhoi already is designed with 5th gen avionics..except stealth i doubt anything would be less in it in comparision

Yes but when you consider the strategic implications of this one system then for sure one cannot rule out any espionage angle. You can bet your house there will be a flood of such attempts to get any info on the FGFA later this decade and not just from the Chinese but many others. As you say a lot of it is to do with genuine technical demands but it could still be a sae of "two birds, one stone".

With the more intimate US India relationship, watch for India to close one eye when US set up py network to steal any info. So if Russia trust Indians, Russia must also trust US completely.

With the more intimate US India relationship, watch for India to close one eye when US set up py network to steal any info. So if Russia trust Indians, Russia must also trust US completely.

According to my chinese sources, Russians trust the Americans 100 % and also vice versa. :D

There is no intimate Indo-US relationship. India always refrained to come to close to the US in terms of revealing sensitive information. Take the C130J deal for instance.

I think you are confusing taiwan with India:confused::confused:

There is reason why the world trust India with critical tech/info.

But the point is when India trust US completely ???

My point is related to C-130j deal "Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony told the Indian Parliament Dec. 10 in a written reply, “the Indian Air Force (IAF) has acquired a list of supplier from the U.S. government with respect to aircraft procured from the USA and none of the suppliers are found to be Chinese manufacturers."

IF India Have Trust on US they wouldn't have check the list of the Supplier ...!!

Indian Foreign policy is based on Interest of India ..... not for pleasure of other country's

@sancho

FGFA will have Russian avionics. Besides,Israel or France as of now don't have 5th gen plug and play avionics available on the shelve. Least of all,it would be interesting to see how Russians allow Israelis or French joyriding its future first line of defense.

very good news.... But will IAF increase the order from 144... i thought it would be around 250-300...( like we increased the MKI order)

@sancho

FGFA will have Russian avionics. Besides,Israel or France as of now don't have 5th gen plug and play avionics available on the shelve. Least of all,it would be interesting to see how Russians allow Israelis or French joyriding its future first line of defense.

Meanwhile we get Asia's best air superiority fighter to another milestone. Sweet eh?

Back
Top Bottom