What's new

Fiber cable damage slows internet speed in Pakistan :AGAIN

pkuser2k12

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
3-27-2013_94089_l.jpg

ONCE MORE AS OF March 27, 2013 - Updated 1453 PKT

KARACHI: A cut in the South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 4 (SEA-ME-WE 4) fiber cable has been reported leading to a degradation of internet speed by 60 % in several countries including Pakistan.

The cut took place off the coast of Egypt.

Internet service is being provided through a substitute cable in the region.

The optical fiber cable system is the primary internet backbone between Europe, Middle East, Sub-continent and Europe.

A time-frame for restoration is no yet known.

SOURCE:
Fiber cable damage slows internet speed in Pakistan - thenews.com.pk

A very serious issue....

I was told just today that this was an attack by some hackers on the global service of Internet??
I am not sure but if it was an attack the global organisations relevant to the security of Internet services should act accordingly with measures to make sure this will not happen again.

The personal data of an individual and/or businesses can be at risk by these acts, the global reliance of individuals,businesses government departments on internet is increasing so this issue should be taken seriously on international level to prevent any serious loss in future.

A very serious issue....

I was told just today that this was an attack by some hackers on the global service of Internet??
I am not sure but if it was an attack the global organisations relevant to the security of Internet services should act accordingly with measures to make sure this will not happen again.

The personal data of an individual and/or businesses can be at risk by these acts, the global reliance of individuals,businesses government departments on internet is increasing so this issue should be taken seriously on international level to prevent any serious loss in future.

No, that attack was something else, it was a software cyber attack. This cable got cut physically, probably a stray anchor of some ship.

This is the one you are talking about...http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/mar/27/cyber-attack-spamhaus-slows-down-internet

Oh....now I know the reason why the posting rate is low here :omghaha:
On topic:- If this stuff happens again and again then it might affect the working force of Pakistan .

Since these fiber lines are manufactured with glass (within), they can not survive any bend or crimp and they are shark proof.

An optical fiber's diameter is typically only one-eighth of a millimeter (0.005 inches), but one rarely sees a bare fiber. When it is covered by protective plastic, an individual fiber looks like an insulated wire. Or, many fibers are incorporated into a cable that includes an internal plastic spine, for strength and rigidity, and a hard outer jacket that protects the fibers from external damage (including bites from gophers or sharks). Like wires or coaxial cable (co-ax), fibers can be quite long but, unlike wires or co-ax, an 80-kilometer (50-mile) fiber span may not need an intermediate repeater.

A very serious issue....

May be you were talking about this:

Internet trouble? You're not alone - why it was one bad day for the Web | NDTV Gadgets

Since these fiber lines are manufactured with glass (within), they can not survive any bend or crimp and they are shark proof.
No they always survive bends as per the standards set by ITU for different cables. Strength can always be customized according to requirement.

Back
Top Bottom