What's new

FIBA Asia Cup 2021 - Qualifiers

@BL33D @Nilgiri

India get defeated just about 2 minutes before the game end.

Yea, I saw that. But beat Iraq. So there is still a chance to qualify. Tough luck for Indonesia. Seems a pretty hard group.

upload_2020-2-25_6-5-35.png

Yea, I saw that. But beat Iraq. So there is still a chance to qualify. Tough luck for Indonesia. Seems a pretty hard group.

View attachment 608953

Indonesia is targeting to get third position. We must reach at least tenth place at FIBA Asia Cup 2021 if we want to play in World Cup 2023. For your information Indonesia will host that game along with Japan and Philippine. Unfortunately we are not automatically eligible for Word Cup despite hosting the game. Our plan is to naturalize player to remain competitive, particularly for center post.

View attachment 608953

@Water Car Engineer

Window two will play again for group A. Indonesia vs Thailand will be played in in Bahrain. How is the preparation of Indian team ?? It will be nice if I can see their recent practice.

If Indonesia can reach third place, there is chance Indonesia and India team will meet. I need to make correction, Indonesia needs to reach 8 best position in FIBA ASIA Cup in order to have spot to play in FIBA 2023 World Cup.

Last edited:
How popular is this tournament in China and other Asian countries ? There would be hardly anyone aware of this tournament in India.
Basketball isn't as popular as badminton and football, really i wasn't aware of this if it weren't for this thread.

How popular is this tournament in China and other Asian countries ? There would be hardly anyone aware of this tournament in India.

According to my opinion, generally basketball has become the second most popular sport in Asia which is also true for the world. The most popular is always football. For Indonesia case it is football, badminton, volley ball, and basketball. So it is the fourth popular in our country.

You can check the different between Football and Basketball games in Indonesia. Football stadium is large and it will be packed by supporters, even for regular professional competition like this

While basketball stadium in Indonesia is much smaller, here is the regular professional basketball game in my country.

@Indos Basketball is popular only in few pockets of our country. Ironically only state (mizoram) who conducts any kind of professional league are also the one who are on avergae on the shorter side of height. Nevertheless, the league is a platform where some of the national palyer get an oppurtunity to hone their skill. But the overall quality is not that great.
Future is hopeful though, look at this kids

Last edited:
@Indos Basketball is popular only in few pockets of our country. Ironically only state (mizoram) who conducts any kind of professional league are also the one who are on avergae on the shorter side of height. Nevertheless, the league is a platform where some of the national palyer get an oppurtunity to hone their skill. But the overall quality is not that great.
Future is hopeful though, look at this kids

How about UBA ??

1605554389031.png

Yup, that high school players are good, very talented, I bet they are North East Indian ethnic. Are you North East Indian as well bro ??

Indonesia tries to popularize basketball in the country, relatively only kids live in big cities who play basketball seriously. Big cities school usually dont have football field, only basketball field

In the past 5-6 years, we have DBL competition, it is owned by private business, and tries to popularize basketball to wider Indonesian population. They have regular nation wide competition for primary schools students

There is one player from Papua that is quite potential (primary school DBL leagues)

Last edited:
How about UBA ??

View attachment 688635

Yup, that high school players are good, very talented, I bet they are North East Indian ethnic. Are you North East Indian as well bro ??

Indonesia tries to popularize basketball in the country, relatively only kids live in big cities who play basketball seriously. Big cities school usually dont have football field, only basketball field

In the past 5-6 years, we have DBL competition, it is owned by private business, and tries to popularize basketball to wider Indonesian population. They have regular nation wide competition for primary schools students

There is one player from Papua that is quite potential (primary school DBL leagues)

UBA is stil not mature, hardly any fan following.
Good to see the initiative by Indosnesia. For any sports to be popularized it need to be started at grass root level.DBA seems to be good start towards that goal.

yep I m from northeast. Your people look very similar to ours lol

@Water Car Engineer

Window two will play again for group A. Indonesia vs Thailand will be played in in Bahrain. How is the preparation of Indian team ?? It will be nice if I can see their recent practice.

If Indonesia can reach third place, there is chance Indonesia and India team will meet. I need to make correction, Indonesia needs to reach 8 best position in FIBA ASIA Cup in order to have spot to play in FIBA 2023 World Cup.

No idea bro, generally I would think India isnt really competitive in this space.

Basketball is popular in China but less so than football. People watch NBA and to a lesser extend CBA but generally don't pay much attention to FIBA championships. The only international competition people really care about is Summer Olympics. Chinese men's national team seriously messed up last year so it's very unlikely to qualify for 2021(?) Olympics while China has a good chance at qualifying for 2022 FIFA world cup, so for the next couple years people will flock to football.

South Korea skip window 2 FIBA Asia cup 2021 qualification in Bahrain so that Indonesia will likely to play against Thailand and Philippine in 26-30 November. The roster for 12 players of Indonesian national basketball team will be announced in 20 November, about 3 days from now. Indonesia must win against Thailand and if possible, we also should win against Philippine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report: South Korea to skip November window of FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 04 2020 01:05 PM

1605604189303.png

MANILA, Philippines -- South Korea has decided not to compete in the upcoming window of the FIBA Asia Cup 2021 qualifiers due to concerns over the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Min Joon-gu of Naver News reported that the Korean Basketball Association opted not to send the team to the second window, where they are set to compete in a "bubble" in Manama, Bahrain later this month.

An official of the association was quoted as saying: "Considering the health of the national team, I thought it was right not to go to Bahrain."

The report noted that Bahrain "is not a safe zone" from COVID-19.

South Korea is in Group A of the qualifiers along with the Philippines, Indonesia, and Thailand. They won both of their games in the first window last February to top the group.

They were scheduled to play the Philippines on November 28 and Indonesia on November 30, with all games to be held in a "bubble."

FIBA had opted to change the competition format due to the global health crisis, doing away with the original home-and-away style.

Meanwhile, the Philippines has yet to prepare for the qualifying window, as the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas is still waiting for clearance from the Inter-Agency Task Force.

The Philippines won their lone game of the first window, 100-70, over Indonesia.

@SgtGungHo @dr.knowhow Do you follow the competition ? South Korea skips the second window of FIBA Asia cup 2021 qualification, does it mean your team will be considered as Walk Out and will get two lost games as consequences ??

Last edited:
Philippines are elusively foreign based team, Just like their Rugby team consists of foreigners with Filipino heritage usually from their maternal side.. They have a massive diaspora in the US and Australia

India is a qualifier along with Sri Lanka from the South Asian region, And no Bangladesh is not in the running

Philippine local players are also quite good. In FIBA Under 18 championship, they beat China. There is only one mixed blood African Philippino playing as you can see in the video thumbnail.

Last edited:
Philippine local players are also quite good. In FIBA Under 18 championship, they beat China. There is only one mixed blood African Philippino playing as you can see in the video thumbnail.

Majority are expat pinoy.. Most are American and Aussie passport holders, Just cause only one player is mixed black doesn't mean others are natural born Filipino, This is common across most Filipino national sports teams.. Check the names, It's a dead giveaway

@Uguduwa how is your Srilankan chance for FIBA Asia second window ? Do you follow the competition ?

Back
Top Bottom