What's new

Faraz Returns Pakistan’s Highest Civilian Award

Lahori paa jee

Reaction score
Eminent Urdu poet Ahmed Faraz has returned Pakistan’s highest civilian award, ‘Hilal-e-Imtiaz’ conferred on him by the Pakistan government citing Musharraf regime’s dictatorial attitude and brutalities against people of the Indian subcontinent.

Ahmed Faraz wrote to the Pakistan government acknowledging that it was a great honour, but that he must return the award. The award was conferred on him recently for his contribution to literature for the year 2004.

Faraz said that he relished the respect that the people of the subcontinent have given him over the years more than any award and he does not want to disappoint them.

"I know that my lone voice may not achieve anything against tyranny, but I also cannot suppress the voice that comes from within and is rooted in conviction, in constitutionalism, and belief in rule of law. Hopefully, it will strengthen those millions of similar voices that reject dictatorship and demand an end to the tyranny," he added.

Source

Bravo Ahmad Faraz

PEER MUKARRAM-UL-HAQ

Few days back the greatest living Urdu poet Ahmad Faraz returned Hilal-e-Imtiaz, the highest civil award on literature, conferred on him by the preset regime in 2004. This award is not the first or the only award bestowed on Ahmad Faraz.

He had been awarded Sitara-e-Imtiaz by Ms Benazir Bhutto’s government and the highest literary award Kamal-e-Fun. Even India awarded him with the Firaq Gorakhpuri and TATA. In addition to the Canadian award of academy of letters.
Faraz is the only Urdu poet who is invited by the literary circles all over the world. Pakistanis living abroad do not have spare time to attend social or literary events but when Faraz recites his poetry halls are full of people, paying their hard-earned money to listen to their favourite poet

Faraz is people’s poet who empathises with people’s sorrows and deprivations that is why people admire him and consider his poetry as their own voice. Faraz is a romantic poet who also romanticised people’s struggle and their sufferings. He wrote on army action in Bangladesh and sufferings of Bangalis under the boots of ruthless junta who were on a mission of ethnic cleansing.

Faraz again used his pen power against army action in Balochistan during seventies he wrote a poem titled ‘Peshawarr Qatlo (professional killers)’ during Gen Zia’s regime for which he was taken blind folded to Manser Camp in Kashmir and kept for one and half months in solitary confinement.

Faraz spent 6 years in exile in the company of Faiz Ahmad Faiz another great poet of Urdu. He also wrote poems during which he longed and remembered his homeland. His patriotism is reflected in his verses. Faraz recited his poem ‘mohasra’ (besieged), which created ripples in the establishment, which was hitherto not used to such an open criticism of armed forces by any poet.

Faraz had been serving various government organisations from radio Pakistan to government colleges Peshawar, Pakistan National council of Arts, Pakistan Academy of Letters, Lok virsa and National Book Foundation.

All along he did a wonderful job where wherever he worked he never considered a government job a handicap in his creative activity and he never compromised on principles. Sometimes he landed on the wrong side of Minister supervising his organisation but he persisted on his stand even if during this process he was under threat of loosing his job.

The greatest poet Ghalib was employed by last Moghal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar while Nazir Akbar Abadi, Faiz Ahmad Faiz, Mustafa Zaidi and other poets worked in government jobs. That in no way reflects that they had shun their stand and compromised on their creative thinking.

Poets are also members of society who have to earn their livelihood by adopting a profession for which they are duly qualified. But to consider and exploit this as their weakness is product of a twisted mind.

The greatest Bengali poet Robinder Nath Tagore accepted the highest British government award ‘Victoria cross’ in the pre-partition days but returned it in protest after General Diar ordered mass killing in Jallianwala Bagh. This is a historical fact.

And now Ahmad Faraz is second such poet who has made history by following his footsteps.

I was pained to read criticism of this action of Faraz by some agencies’ sponsored writers or some columnists who had axe to grind against Ahmad Faraz.

A Good deed is a good deed, indeed, irrespective of the person who does it. Some people may have certain reservations in regards to some aspects of Faraz’s personality. Nobody is perfect except for the Almighty. But as for the politically correct stand of Ahmad Faraz on all crucial junctures of nation’s history nobody could disagree except for the lackeys of military regimes who have always condemned Faraz for his hold stand.

For obvious reasons we as a free nation should appreciate people and forces who for the betterment of civil society take a courageous stand in the face of ruthless might of naked brute force of coterie of Generals who have usurped power through backdoor pitching our own army against us.

I salute Ahmad Faraz and invite others to come forward and join him in fight against the undemocratic forces who have mutilated constitution and are shedding the blood of their own people in the name of restoring the writ of the government. Now is the time to act before it is too late.

Source

Benazir praises Faraz for rejecting Hilal-e-Imtiaz

Former prime minister Benazir Bhutto has praised Ahmed Faraz for his decision to return the Hilal-e-Imitiaz (Civil) conferred upon him by President General Pervez Musharraf and termed it “a message to the dictatorship to know its position in the eyes of the people”.

“Your decision is a clear message to the dictatorship to look inward and think about where it stands in the eyes of the citizens whose fundamental rights have been trampled,” Bhutto said in a letter to Faraz congratulating him on the decision.“It is reassuring that you refused to be tempted by the enticement of a power that is based not on morality or constitutionalism, but on force and exploitation by the armed forces.”

Source

Benazir praises Faraz for rejecting Hilal-e-Imtiaz

Former prime minister Benazir Bhutto has praised Ahmed Faraz for his decision to return the Hilal-e-Imitiaz (Civil) conferred upon him by President General Pervez Musharraf and termed it “a message to the dictatorship to know its position in the eyes of the people”.

“Your decision is a clear message to the dictatorship to look inward and think about where it stands in the eyes of the citizens whose fundamental rights have been trampled,” Bhutto said in a letter to Faraz congratulating him on the decision.“It is reassuring that you refused to be tempted by the enticement of a power that is based not on morality or constitutionalism, but on force and exploitation by the armed forces.”

Source

AsSalam o Alaikum.
What Faraz has done is acceptable, provided this is not a cheap gimmick to further project himself(Ithink this is not the case). People may have views of a Military Government, and whereas one can debate their accuracy and reasons behind it, one has to respect the decision,. Certainly Faraz,s stature and Literary standing would not be affected by another award or the lack of it. We have to separate ones personality and beliefs from their literary work and to my mind Faraz remains a literary giant.
WaSalam
Araz

But we have to keep in mind that this is not the first time he has made such a move. He had been exiled for 6 years while struggling against another dictator.

Its an old news and the national award has nothing to do with army its the aknowledgment of services hence returning it and refuse to have it is not something to be proud rather a sham to discard the national award.

Further its ineed an atempt to gain more coverage and popularity.

If u remmer Lahori
Nazim Zehra also done that recently now look at this jerk she just for having scholorships abroad started writting against the counrty and the army to have more benefits from the West :)
if such kinds of selfish people refuse to have the award nothign speical about them.

One cannot help but be proud of our living legend, Ahmad Faraz, for showing courage. I hope the government doesnot start to victimise him....its not like he has hurt anyone.....just did what he believed in. Welcome Done Ahmad Faraz....as a tribute let me recall my fav sher of Ahmad Faraz;

En Barishoun se dosti achi nahi faraz...............kacha tera makan ha kutch tu khiyal kar.

Skeptic786 said:
One cannot help but be proud of our living legend, Ahmad Faraz, for showing courage. I hope the government doesnot start to victimise him....its not like he has hurt anyone.....just did what he believed in. Welcome Done Ahmad Faraz....as a tribute let me recall my fav sher of Ahmad Faraz;

En Barishoun se dosti achi nahi faraz...............kacha tera makan ha kutch tu khiyal kar.

Sorry Skeptic but our fears are true. Dont know how i forgot to tell you the actual news.

Unfortunately Ahmed Faraz is being victimized.

To start with Mr. Ahmed Faraz was removed as the head of Academy Adbiyat.

Then he returned Hilal e Imtiaz

And now the government is issued a notification canceling all the awards he has ever recieved from Pakistan government. Remember he was given these awards in 1994

Its an old news and the national award has nothing to do with army its the aknowledgment of services hence returning it and refuse to have it is not something to be proud rather a sham to discard the national award.

Further its ineed an atempt to gain more coverage and popularity.

Come on now. This is not the first time he has stood against military rule. We should be ashamed of how we treat our artists and heros

How much more popularity would Ahmed Faraz want.

But it does raise a few questions too. Why is it that he returned these awards now after serving for four years under the same government? Why didnt he return them when Mushy took over if indeed it was in protest against military rule? Why did he return them only after being removed as head of Academy Adbiyat?

Jana said:
If u remmer Lahori
Nazim Zehra also done that recently now look at this jerk she just for having scholorships abroad started writting against the counrty and the army to have more benefits from the West
if such kinds of selfish people refuse to have the award nothign speical about them.

Thanks Jana i was going to post the same case here.

He can go to hell. And stay there. In fact i hope he gets a fellowship abroad, the less his presence desoils soil of Pakistan the better.

Sorry Skeptic but our fears are true. Dont know how i forgot to tell you the actual news.

Unfortunately Ahmed Faraz is being victimized.

To start with Mr. Ahmed Faraz was removed as the head of Academy Adbiyat.

Then he returned Hilal e Imtiaz

And now the government is issued a notification canceling all the awards he has ever recieved from Pakistan government. Remember he was given these awards in 1994

So he is being victimised.....matter of shame for the choha hiding in the basement of the presidential house....real commando virtue:lol: :lol: :lol:

i wonder why Bush or Blair donot remove university proffessors in UK and american universities that call both of them war criminals etc.......maybe its something to do with that damn thing...rule of law....as oppose to law of the jungle mushy has going in Pakistan....people say Mushy is progressive.....well really damn progressive when it comes to national heros...A Q Khan....Ahmad Faraz.....what is he going to progress to next....spit on the grave of Quid-i-Azam/Allama Iqbal?????

Playing Politics at the expense of Pakistan, then again, one questions the competence of the individuals who prepare these lists of persons to be recognized

Bravo Ahmad Faraz

PEER MUKARRAM-UL-HAQ

Few days back the greatest living Urdu poet Ahmad Faraz returned Hilal-e-Imtiaz, the highest civil award on literature, conferred on him by the preset regime in 2004. This award is not the first or the only award bestowed on Ahmad Faraz.

He had been awarded Sitara-e-Imtiaz by Ms Benazir Bhutto’s government and the highest literary award Kamal-e-Fun. Even India awarded him with the Firaq Gorakhpuri and TATA. In addition to the Canadian award of academy of letters.
Faraz is the only Urdu poet who is invited by the literary circles all over the world. Pakistanis living abroad do not have spare time to attend social or literary events but when Faraz recites his poetry halls are full of people, paying their hard-earned money to listen to their favourite poet

Faraz is people’s poet who empathises with people’s sorrows and deprivations that is why people admire him and consider his poetry as their own voice. Faraz is a romantic poet who also romanticised people’s struggle and their sufferings. He wrote on army action in Bangladesh and sufferings of Bangalis under the boots of ruthless junta who were on a mission of ethnic cleansing.

Faraz again used his pen power against army action in Balochistan during seventies he wrote a poem titled ‘Peshawarr Qatlo (professional killers)’ during Gen Zia’s regime for which he was taken blind folded to Manser Camp in Kashmir and kept for one and half months in solitary confinement.

Faraz spent 6 years in exile in the company of Faiz Ahmad Faiz another great poet of Urdu. He also wrote poems during which he longed and remembered his homeland. His patriotism is reflected in his verses. Faraz recited his poem ‘mohasra’ (besieged), which created ripples in the establishment, which was hitherto not used to such an open criticism of armed forces by any poet.

Faraz had been serving various government organisations from radio Pakistan to government colleges Peshawar, Pakistan National council of Arts, Pakistan Academy of Letters, Lok virsa and National Book Foundation.

All along he did a wonderful job where wherever he worked he never considered a government job a handicap in his creative activity and he never compromised on principles. Sometimes he landed on the wrong side of Minister supervising his organisation but he persisted on his stand even if during this process he was under threat of loosing his job.

The greatest poet Ghalib was employed by last Moghal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar while Nazir Akbar Abadi, Faiz Ahmad Faiz, Mustafa Zaidi and other poets worked in government jobs. That in no way reflects that they had shun their stand and compromised on their creative thinking.

Poets are also members of society who have to earn their livelihood by adopting a profession for which they are duly qualified. But to consider and exploit this as their weakness is product of a twisted mind.

The greatest Bengali poet Robinder Nath Tagore accepted the highest British government award ‘Victoria cross’ in the pre-partition days but returned it in protest after General Diar ordered mass killing in Jallianwala Bagh. This is a historical fact.

And now Ahmad Faraz is second such poet who has made history by following his footsteps.

I was pained to read criticism of this action of Faraz by some agencies’ sponsored writers or some columnists who had axe to grind against Ahmad Faraz.

A Good deed is a good deed, indeed, irrespective of the person who does it. Some people may have certain reservations in regards to some aspects of Faraz’s personality. Nobody is perfect except for the Almighty. But as for the politically correct stand of Ahmad Faraz on all crucial junctures of nation’s history nobody could disagree except for the lackeys of military regimes who have always condemned Faraz for his hold stand.

For obvious reasons we as a free nation should appreciate people and forces who for the betterment of civil society take a courageous stand in the face of ruthless might of naked brute force of coterie of Generals who have usurped power through backdoor pitching our own army against us.

I salute Ahmad Faraz and invite others to come forward and join him in fight against the undemocratic forces who have mutilated constitution and are shedding the blood of their own people in the name of restoring the writ of the government. Now is the time to act before it is too late.

Source

SHAME MR. FARAZ SHAME
i pity your mindset lahori pajee this man has just disgraced his own country he has slaped us and our national dignity and yet being a pakistani you are praising this traitor ahmed faraz should be court martial and should be stripped of his pakistani citezenship and what distress did the pakistn govt bought to the people of the indian subcontenant and how can they do this do we rule india,srilanka,bangladesh,maldives,myanmar,nepal,bhutan is it possible for pakistan to do this it simply dose not makes any sense infact it queit a nonsence and above all an insult to pakistan

He has returned the awards in protest to the Military Rule (at least thats what seems to be the case) and im apprecitating this action only

I say he should return his citizenship as well.
In fact it should be a rule, return an award, return citizenship.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom