What's new

Failure of dictatorship & democracy

We need to go back to Old School and learn the basics. There are fundamental flaws in the very foundation of our country. No country in the world survived when it was built on ideology alone. The mega Soviet empire imploded due to the failure of recognizing this very fact. All the ideology based countries in the world will suffer either painful or painless collapse in the end.

An anguished Pakistani diplomat asked my father this same question nearly forty years ago. I, too, shall ponder deeply and try to come up with an answer.

In such a case there's no need to ponder much since your father was overly worried and on the wrong track about analyzing our position 40 years ago, and you might be on a similar line.

Although I'd really appreciate your input as to what to do.

another way to look at it may be that there is neither some thing wrong with democracy nor dictatorship.
Although these days dictatorship and military rule are used as interchange able terms but in principle they are not.

As Old School pointed out that may be there is some thing wrong at the core foundation of the system,

Ideology may be one of them, but more so I would say Feudalism.

We must remember that the country was for the people,
in our case people were for the feudal.

Which can be proven to lead to social disparity, class segregation and the evident frustration that prevails today.

Indians started with almost the same platter of problems and incentives as we did; the biggest difference in our history might be Nehru's land reforms which in principle and practice rendered the feudal society impotent.

Democracy CAN work, in circumstances that the holder of the vote also
holds and appreciate his/her own worth.

The term "fedualism" has become a favourite of the urban bourgeois who try to label every problem as emanating from feudalism. If somebody like Aasim Sajjad makes this point then it is totally acceptable since he studies the class dynamics of society, but feudalism-this-feudalism-that coming from the mouths of urban elites is always annoying since they are by virtue of their association a part of the same problem.

In a full functioning democracy , it is irrelevant who the leaders are. The system takes over as the driving force. Lincoln and Kennedy's assassinations did not impact the American democracy . Not it did any damage to India's democracy after MK Gandhi , Indira or Rajiv's assassination. Therefore , we need to lay a solid foundation of a republic where the political system revolves round democratic values. No matter who runs the government will become less important as accountability wil also be at core of the democratic values. We must stop searching for a superman or a magician who can lead us. We need to develop a system instead. Searching for a superman wll always breed dictators like Ayub Khan , Zia and Musharraf who could not change anything for the best.

Back
Top Bottom