What's new

F-7P and F-7PG

Dorsal fuel tanks allow for increased range. Larger nose cone allows for better radar, extra space occupied previously by the single inlet can be used for better avionics and computers, having MFDs allows for ground attacks using precision guided munition.
Plus all of this could be done for cheap, imagine the capability you're getting compared to the cost.

Dorsal fuel tanks - more weight and less pay load for weapons. You would need a new engine.
New avionics and radar is not cheap either. You would need extensive testing as these airframes are 30 years old.

The money and time spent doing this for a fleet of around 50 planes. Why not just buy another squadron of Block IIIs?

Dorsal fuel tanks - more weight and less pay load for weapons. You would need a new engine.
New avionics and radar is not cheap either. You would need extensive testing as these airframes are 30 years old.

The money and time spent doing this for a fleet of around 50 planes. Why not just buy another squadron of Block IIIs?
I think it'd be cheaper to modify 50 birds instead of a sqd of Thunders. Plus these birds could be used for CAS missions using smart munitions.

I think it'd be cheaper to modify 50 birds instead of a sqd of Thunders. Plus these birds could be used for CAS missions using smart munitions.

With the modifications you are suggesting it seems like a new aircraft.

Also you have to remember the opportunity cost of what you are suggesting. Those designers, engineers and senior management could be better use on next gen projects.

The basing, piloting and engineering for these planes will require money and men. Just because we have the planes it may not be a good idea to keep them when the alternatives could be J-10Cs, FJ-17 Block IIIs and AZM. For every penny we spend giving an expensive upgrade to a 30 year old MIG-21 copy, I would much rather put to a new J-10C....

With the modifications you are suggesting it seems like a new aircraft.

Also you have to remember the opportunity cost of what you are suggesting. Those designers, engineers and senior management could be better use on next gen projects.

The basing, piloting and engineering for these planes will require money and men. Just because we have the planes it may not be a good idea to keep them when the alternatives could be J-10Cs, FJ-17 Block IIIs and AZM. For every penny we spend giving an expensive upgrade to a 30 year old MIG-21 copy, I would much rather put to a new J-10C....
I thought it would be easier, considering all the R&D has already been done, and all the parts needed are already there, just a simple refit during the next overhaul.
JL-9 is basically a modified FT-7.

I thought it would be easier, considering all the R&D has already been done, and all the parts needed are already there, just a simple refit during the next overhaul.
JL-9 is basically a modified FT-7.

You would need a new engine, that may involve an airframe redesign, so already you are looking at very expensive options here.

As they are being replaced by JF-17 block 3, theee place is in storage. Our focus should be on next generation fighters and drones.

1630004151242.png

I don’t if it’s worth turning these old horses in pilotless Ai fighters. If not, we need to increase JF-17 B3 production to replace theses.

It is good to see that Pakistan like Iran has keep its F-7 Air-guard in pristine condition. From all accounts by Iranian pilots who have flown MIG-21 these are better and more agile than the original Russian Mig 21 design. These have very sturdy airframes and IRIAF has upgraded them and added a mix of weaponry.

Iran - Islamic Republic Air Force 3-7723 aircraft at Tehran - Mehrabad Intl

Iranian Aviation Review Issue No 08, back issues, IRIAF Chengdu F-7  Airguard, Persian Aviation, Hawker Fury600 × 800

Thats a PG of PAF in the pic above, which a double cranked delta. PAF has retired the legacy f 7 only a few remain
The iranian ac in the pic is that of a legacy f 7, dont know if Iran operates any pg versions.

Back
Top Bottom