What's new

F-35 CANADA: Canada finalizes agreement to purchase new fighter jets for Royal Canadian Air Force

Get Ya Wig Split

Reaction score
Country
United States

Learn more about today’s announcement

Canada was looking for a good dual engine fighter due to it's massive size and sparse population, especially in the north. Unfortunately there were no real options that filled our needs. The F 35 is more of a compromise choice. Still, our air force is outdated so needed to happen.

Canada was looking for a good dual engine fighter due to it's massive size and sparse population, especially in the north. Unfortunately there were no real options that filled our needs. The F 35 is more of a compromise choice. Still, our air force is outdated so needed to happen.

Canada should go for the F-15EX "missile truck"; it'll adequately fill the role and replace the F-18s.

Canada should go for the F-15EX "missile truck"; it'll adequately fill the role and replace the F-18s.
The EX brought nothing massive in comparison to the hornets that RCAF has. The potential next generation capability upgrades for the EX are far into the future, so not worth it. The increased carrying capacity was also meh.

The F-35 was always the most realistic choice, and I'm glad this saga is finally over.

Our politicians were playing too many games over something that everyone knew was inevitable.

TORONTO (AP) — Canada will spend billions to purchase 88 F-35 fighter jets from Lockheed Martin Corp. in a deal announced Monday that aims to end years of deliberations over its aging fleet and fulfill obligations to defend North America’s air space.

The first four aircraft are anticipated to be delivered in 2026 with full operational capacity for the fleet expected between 2032 and 2034.

The government has budgeted about $19 billion Canadian (US$15 billion) for the purchase in what is the largest investment in the Royal Canadian Air Force in more than 30 years. Each jet costs about US$85 million. The full life cycle of the program is expected to cost $70 billion (US$52 billion).

According to a video I saw today, the RCAF might skip the newer F-18 Hornet in retaliation for Boeing's bitching against the C series being sold at low prices in the states.

Why not eurofighter? Or america wouldn’t allow it?

I'd say allied interoperability was the deciding factor.

Now, 4 of the 5 Eyes states (i.e., US, UK, Australia, Canada) will operate the F-35A. For Canada, there's a guarantee now that it can readily deploy its fighters to any major allied operation (i.e., involving the 5 Eyes). In one stroke, Canada can station its fighters overseas without worrying as much about logistics and support (as it would have if it bought a more niche design). I reckon the RCAF will be a common sight again in the U.K., Germany, Poland, and possibly Japan or South Korea.

The other aspect is that with a total order of 2,000+ units, the F-35A offers the most economies of scale. The long-term operating cost is probably projected to be a lot more competitive thanks to the presence of more producers in the supply channel. It wouldn't surprise me if Canada adds on to its current commitment -- I can see them push the F-35 fleet to 120-140.

It sounds aggressive, but I feel that Ottawa has a more assertive defence vision. It's not just about supporting the U.S. or NATO, but also guarding Canada's northern interests. The ice is melting away to reveal new trade routes, fisheries, and possibly even natural resource deposits. IMO, among at least the Conservatives and even Liberals, there's a cross-partisan agreement that those northern interests matter, and they'll need the "big guns." The CSC frigate, the Aurora-replacement RFI, and F-35A all, IMO, speak to a desire to both deter and project.

The last 3-4 years have shown that you can't take free trade, alliances, etc, for granted. However, being one of the world's largest economies, Canada would have a lot to lose if it can't do its part to rein in a major strategic situation. So, the defence capability is about to catch up to the economic weight. The last 'frontier' now is to create consensus for a SSN/SSGN. @SQ8 @JamD

The EX brought nothing massive in comparison to the hornets that RCAF has. The potential next generation capability upgrades for the EX are far into the future, so not worth it. The increased carrying capacity was also meh.

The F-35 was always the most realistic choice, and I'm glad this saga is finally over.

Our politicians were playing too many games over something that everyone knew was inevitable.
The advantage is of course that all aircraft will be Block 4. Many will be stuck with Block 3, and may not upgrade due to the cost.

Back
Top Bottom