What's new

F-16 Block 52 vs Mirage 2000-5 Mk2

AIM-120-c5 has higher NEZ in your mentioned air to air missiles. @gambit please shed some light on capabilities of AMRAAM-C5 vs MICA-ER and thread's topic.
MICA Er and IR versions both gives edge to any A2A combat against Paf F-16's

Actually India does.

Singapore's F-16s with all their missiles are based in India and they regularly participate in exercise with IAF (with regular I mean on daily basis).

India pretty much has a very good idea of what a F-16 could do and what AIM- series of missiles could do.

Even if IAF practice against F-16s it does not change equation that AIM-120C5 is superior to MICA-ER/RF.

Sure and you actually fired one of those missiles, right? Have you ever sat in cockpit of a Cessna? Just curious... LMAO these children nowadays.

Typical Indian behavior i.e. what we have is best and rest is junk.

What edge they have over PAF's AIM-120-C5 and SD-10As?? please elaborate.

Typical Indian behavior i.e. what we have is best and rest is junk.
Ohh really the Aim-9 & aim-120c are are good missile but older versions the comparable to MAGIC I I era wheraes missiles Like MiCa is newer and improved version missiles used as standard missiles for Rafale's

Ohh really the Aim-9 & aim-120c are are good missile but older versions the comparable to MAGIC I I era wheraes missiles Like MiCa is newer and improved version missiles used as standard missiles for Rafale's

You don't even know which version PAF uses and came up with conclusion that they have outdated version when compared to MICA. lol.

You don't even know which version PAF uses and came up with conclusion that they have outdated version when compared to MICA. lol.
PAF ordered 500 Aim-120c-5 in 2006 with in F-16 MLU got its first lot in 2010.Aim-120C-5 is a 90 era missile. USAF used better version which aim-120C-7.

PAF ordered 500 Aim-120c-5 in 2006 with in F-16 MLU got its first lot in 2010.Aim-120C-5 is a 90 era missile. USAF used better version which aim-120C-7.

Currently it is one of the best BVR missile in Sub continent which even MKI will find hard to evade if locked and launched on it, so stop day dreaming.

Quote:

The AMRAAM P3I (Pre-Planned Product Improvement) program led to the AIM-120C, first delivered in 1996. The major new feature of the basic AIM-120C (P3I Phase 1) are the clipped wings and fins. Although this feature was introduced to allow carriage in the internal weapons bays of the F/A-22 Raptor, the -120C can also be used from other AMRAAM-capable aircraft. The guidance unit of the AIM-120C is upgraded to WGU-44/B standard. The first P3I Phase 2 missile is the AIM-120C-4 (first delivered in 1999), which has an improved WDU-41/B warhead. The AIM-120C-5 is a C-4 with a slightly larger motor in the new WPU-16/B propulsion section and a new shorter WCU-28/B control section with compressed electronics and ECCM upgrades. Deliveries of the AIM-120C-5 began in July 2000. It was followed on the production line by the AIM-120C-6, which features an updated TDD (Target Detection Device). The AIM-120C-7 (P3I Phase 3), development of which has begun in 1998, incorporates improved ECCM with jamming detection, an upgraded seeker, and longer range. The latter feature was specifically requested by the U.S. Navy to get a (somewhat) suitable replacement for the AIM-54 Phoenix very-long range missile, which was then planned to be retired together with the F-14D Tomcat around 2007 (actual official retirement was already in September 2004). The AIM-120C-7 was successfully tested against combat-realistic targets in August and September 2003, and IOC was then planned for 2004. This has slipped somewhat, but as of early 2006, the AIM-120C-7 is beginning to be fielded. Equivalent to the -120A/B, there are also CATM-120C and JAIM-120C non-tactical variants of the AIM-120C.

Unquote:

Raytheon AIM-120 AMRAAM

@gambit your opinion is needed here.

Last edited:
After MLU, all Pakistan F-16s are at Block 52 standard. Now thats a very formidable force against upgraded Indian Mirages.

You gentlemen do understand that majority of F-16s were either sold to US allies (Canada,Australia,Europe), or were given as military aid for free(Egypt, Israel, Pakistan)?

They get F-16's for free. They have to pay for Mirages.

Free!!! You have amazing sense of humor.

After MLU, all Pakistan F-16s are at Block 52 standard. Now thats a very formidable force against upgraded Indian Mirages.

Even our JF-17s with SD-10A will be able to handle IAF's upgraded M2ks as their updated KLJ-7 is on par or better then RC-400 (which Indians claim is RDY-3) specially in air to air mode.

Currently it is one of the best BVR missile in Sub continent which even MKI will find hard to evade if locked and launched on it, so stop day dreaming.

Best BVR why because PAF owns it :D:D how many kill it score it's made just because Its a US product that does not make it superior. Fact PAF is not USAF or not posses that type resource's .

Yeah we seen your fighters in kargil too bad they locked by mig-29 and chased like prays inside their territory

Quote:

The AMRAAM P3I (Pre-Planned Product Improvement) program led to the AIM-120C, first delivered in 1996. The major new feature of the basic AIM-120C (P3I Phase 1) are the clipped wings and fins. Although this feature was introduced to allow carriage in the internal weapons bays of the F/A-22 Raptor, the -120C can also be used from other AMRAAM-capable aircraft. The guidance unit of the AIM-120C is upgraded to WGU-44/B standard. The first P3I Phase 2 missile is the AIM-120C-4 (first delivered in 1999), which has an improved WDU-41/B warhead. The AIM-120C-5 is a C-4 with a slightly larger motor in the new WPU-16/B propulsion section and a new shorter WCU-28/B control section with compressed electronics and ECCM upgrades. Deliveries of the AIM-120C-5 began in July 2000. It was followed on the production line by the AIM-120C-6, which features an updated TDD (Target Detection Device). The AIM-120C-7 (P3I Phase 3), development of which has begun in 1998, incorporates improved ECCM with jamming detection, an upgraded seeker, and longer range. The latter feature was specifically requested by the U.S. Navy to get a (somewhat) suitable replacement for the AIM-54 Phoenix very-long range missile, which was then planned to be retired together with the F-14D Tomcat around 2007 (actual official retirement was already in September 2004). The AIM-120C-7 was successfully tested against combat-realistic targets in August and September 2003, and IOC was then planned for 2004. This has slipped somewhat, but as of early 2006, the AIM-120C-7 is beginning to be fielded. Equivalent to the -120A/B, there are also CATM-120C and JAIM-120C non-tactical variants of the AIM-120C.

Unquote:

Raytheon AIM-120 AMRAAM

The MBDA MICA (Missile d’interception, de combat et d'autodéfense, “interception, combat and self-defence missile”) is an anti-air multi-target, all weather, fire-and-forget short and medium-range missile system. It is intended for use both by air platforms as individual missiles as well as ground units and ships, which can be equipped with the rapid fire MICA Vertical Launch System. It is fitted with a thrust vector control (TVC) system.

A MICA launched from a Rafale has successfully on June 11, 2007 for the very first time in the aviation history destroyed a target behind the launcher, the target was designated by another aircraft and coordinates were transmitted by Link 16.

There are two MICA variants; MICA RF has an active radar homing seeker and MICA IR has an imaging infra-red homing seeker. Both seekers are designed to filter out counter-measures such as chaff and decoy flares. A thrust vector control unit fitted to the rocket motor increases the missile's agility. The missile is capable of lock-on after launch (LOAL) which means it is capable of engaging targets outside its seeker's at-launch acquisition range. Mounted on the Rafale, the MICA IR can provide IR imagery to the central data processing system, thus acting as an extra sensor.

Well its All About Pilot Combat Training Like
But Regarding some Key Points about Mirage2000-5 MK2

The instantaneous turn rate is a significant advantage for the mirage, as the MICA missile is a better IR missile than the AIM 9 and an experienced mirage pilot will lock on initially and get the kill before the f-16 tries to gain altitude after the initial confrontation (In which case the F-16 would have an advantage due to higher sustained rate.

In Greece where they operate both, they consider the Mirage 2000-5 Mk II and above superior to the F-16 in high altitude due to maneuverability and the F-16 superior in low altitude due to being more powerful.

The Mirage has some advantage as well with the longer range MICA missile, which shoots towards the projected course of the enemy and starts tracking when it's close. This has an advantage because there is no missile warning and the f-16's pilot would get a defensive stance upon close missile warning which would cause him to lose his lock on the AMRAAM had he shot one. The MICA also produces no warning when shot from behind and if the pilot doesn't see it it's a kill.
As Turkey use 240 f16 fleet, they would use this propaganda to gain support in the country..
check this video, as Turkish f16 humilate mirage..
If f16 wasnt a good jet, S.Korea, Japan, Turkey, Israel... you name it.. wouldnt purchase it. Especially with new block 52, Mirage has no chance..
but i agree with you that it all depends on Pilots.. And, in most of the war games, jets get hit by the other jets, not the one they do dog fight with.. in this video. according to talking, also 2 f16 against two mirage, and they keep updating each other so to be careful..

As Turkey use 240 f16 fleet, they would use this propaganda to gain support in the country..
check this video, as Turkish f16 humilate mirage..
If f16 wasnt a good jet, S.Korea, Japan, Turkey, Israel... you name it.. wouldnt purchase it. Especially with new block 52, Mirage has no chance..
but i agree with you that it all depends on Pilots.. And, in most of the war games, jets get hit by the other jets, not the one they do dog fight with.. in this video. according to talking, also 2 f16 against two mirage, and they keep updating each other so to be careful..
Mica ir stealth bvr and wvr with new generation rdy radar and new Hms make the mirage 2000/5 a game changer.

When the Indians paid the French over 40 million per mirage2000 upgrade they knew they where buying quality

majority of F-16s were either sold to US allies (Canada,Australia,Europe), or were given as military aid for free(Egypt, Israel, Pakistan)?

And it is a pretty good aircraft for sure. It may be inferior to European planes in certain conditions, but unless you are comparing recent Eurocanards with F-16, it could hold its ground.

I only think that basing performance criterion on sales volume is stupid in case when rules of game are not same for two .

Last edited:
It's a biased opinion, Every rocket driver I have spoken to will construct an argument to claim his machine is the mother of all sliced bread.... Talk to a Bison or a PG driver, they will convince you about the tactics to which they can make a giant teen or teensky fall. It's just pilots bias.

Back
Top Bottom