What's new

Expensive LNG: Pakistan to pay additional USD 2.5 billion to Qatar

I won't forget how some Pakistanis here cheered after the LNG deal with Qatar, calling for scrapping IP pipeline with the great enemy of Pakistan, Iran, and instead get cheap gas from 'brother' nation of Qatar.

So facepalm:cuckoo:for the topic starter and anti-Nawaz posters hehehehe :P

I won't forget how some Pakistanis here cheered after the LNG deal with Qatar, calling for scrapping IP pipeline with the great enemy of Pakistan, Iran, and instead get cheap gas from 'brother' nation of Qatar.
And you were clever enough to realize that those posters were wrong, were you not? IP pipeline is the best option for us, unfortunate.
The problem with us is that we have corrupt rulers, we aren't going to go anywhere till we get rid of them. Family attachments and no merit has brought this country to where it is today.

And you were clever enough to realize that those posters were wrong, were you not? IP pipeline is the best option for us, unfortunate.
The problem with us is that we have corrupt rulers, we aren't going to go anywhere till we get rid of them. Family attachments and no merit has brought this country to where it is today.
the price was set on oil standards.here we have the same ip which was even more expensive if looking at same principles.but only advantage is pipeline rather then shipping costs.

Everyone has 20/20 hindsight. The decision at any given time is made based upon situation at that point in time. One also cannot compare Indian price with Pakistan; even if the contracts are signed at roughly the same time; the supplier may have different reasons for offering different prices.

Since I have spent almost my entire working in the oil industry, perhaps I know a little more than an average person. Permit me to analyse the deal like I would professionally.

Firstly the Pakistan – Qatar LNG deal

ISLAMABAD: The government claimed on Wednesday that it had secured a favourable price of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) from Qatar for 15 years under an agreement signed in Doha. The price is lower than offered under comparable gas import options.

In a position paper, the government confirmed that the difference of port charges of $430,000 per ship would be paid by the Pakistan State Oil, instead of Qatargas, and would be recovered from consumers through its sale price.

The paper noted that the Qatar Liquefied Gas Company Limited 2 (QG2), which would be supplying LNG to PSO, would pay $320,000 per ship as port charges against actual charges of $750,000. The difference would be picked up by PSO and made part of sale price.

The PSO would be the LNG buyer delivered ex-ship (DES) at 13.37 per cent of Brent, while QG2 will be the seller from 2016 to 2031. It said that Qatargas had previously offered LNG DES price of $6.56 per MMBTU at $40 price of Brent which had now been reduced to $5.35 per MMBT

http://www.dawn.com/news/1238783

Evidently the deal is $5.35 DES (discharge ex ship) based on $40 per bbl Brent crude. Currently Brent price is close to $56 per bbl; at 13.37% of Brent, LNG price delivered ex ship to Karachi comes to $7.487 per mm Btu.

We must not forget that India is a far larger market and as a rule, bigger the market, the more competition, thus cheaper the price. India imports about 20-million tons a year of LNG and plans to expand the capacity to 50- million tons in next 5 years. Pakistan imports, after expansion of receiving facilities, will still be less than 5 –million tons per year. Understand Pakistan’s deal with Qatar is initially for 1.3-million tons expanding to 2.3-million tons

Looking at India and other world prices as of Dec 2016 per the link below. India has many suppliers, some may be supplying at a lower price, but the average delivered price to India is $8.64 per mm Btu.

https://www.ferc.gov/market-oversight/mkt-gas/overview/ngas-ovr-lng-wld-pr-est.pdf

Regarding the other suppliers. ENI is not a major LNG player. Based upon date available with me, ENI contract portfolio is rather small, a total of 4.7-millin tons in 2015. Admittedly ENI has made some gas discoveries in Africa but it will be quite some time before ENI become a major player in the world market. Qatar on the other hand is the largest LNG exporter in the world exporting about 78-million tons of LNG annually.

Guvnor is a trading company with strong links to Russia. Should the market move and LNG become a scarce commodity, a trading company by nature would maximise its profits and find some clause in the contract to reopen the prices. Besides, Qatar is virtually next door and with less than 5 -6 days sailing time, I would be willing to pay slightly more for the security of supplies. Given the choice and security of supply, any competent manager / entrepreneur would prefer to deal with the producer directly

I am not fan of Nawaz Sharif but I do not like criticism with the ‘Journalist Spin’. Nearly all large suppliers have an office or an agent in Pakistan. Agents only make money when there is business. In my opinion this article has been engineered by agent of ENI in Pakistan who has missed out because the principal did not get the business.

Did NS or his family thru an intermediary benefit from this deal? Probably. But is it a good deal for Pakistan? In my opinion it is. Additionally, please be aware that gas situation is Pakistan is very precarious. Pakistan’s largest ever gas find at Sui is going to disappear in about 10 years and we need more & more suppliers including ENI & Gunvor. If you don’t believe me here is the link.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/417282/alarm-bells-ringing-sui-gas-reserves-to-end-in-10-years/

P.S. 1 mm Btu roughly equals 1000 cft of gas.
whatever you are saying may be totally correct but it doesn't justifies awarding the contract to Qataris without even any bidding.How ENI will manage to supply is their own issue but the main issue is contract such as these are awarded based on minimal cost to the gov't so 13.37 % by QATARIS is atleast 22% more expensive than the 11.62% offered by ENI which will cost USD 2.5 billlion to the national exchequer.

So facepalm:cuckoo:for the topic starter and anti-Nawaz posters hehehehe :P
How do you justify the awarding of a contract to Qataris without even any bidding process?

Last edited:
whatever you are saying may be totally correct but it doesn't justifies awarding the contract to Qataris without even any bidding.How ENI will manage to supply is the issue that they will have to manage themselves but the main issue is contract such as these are awarded based on minimal cost to the gov't so 13.37 % by QATARIS is atleast 22% more expensive than the 11.62% offered by ENI

How do you justify the awarding of a contract to Qataris without even any bidding process?
people say there was 100 million kickback involved

whatever you are saying may be totally correct but it doesn't justifies awarding the contract to Qataris without even any bidding.How ENI will manage to supply is the issue that they will have to manage themselves but the main issue is contract such as these are awarded based on minimal cost to the gov't so 13.37 % by QATARIS is atleast 22% more expensive than the 11.62% offered by ENI

If we end up getting a good deal than hell we care about any bidding process. This is how stuff works here. Just look at CPEC projects, how are tenders being awarded to Chinese companies. Also remember, it was US who persuaded Qatar to deal with Pakistan so that we can back off from IP gas pipeline. For immediate requirement, its Qatar LNG deal and for long term requirement its TAPI.

people say there was 100 million kickback involved

people say a lot without knowing a jack about anything.

If we end up getting a good deal than hell we care about any bidding process. This is how stuff works here. Just look at CPEC projects, how are tenders being awarded to Chinese companies. Also remember, it was US who persuaded Qatar to deal with Pakistan so that we can back off from IP gas pipeline. For immediate requirement, its Qatar LNG deal and for long term requirement its TAPI.
Then you didn't get the whole point of this thread at all.This's the main thing which we are discussing right now.Qataris are selling us LNG at a price 22% higher than that proposed by Italy's ENI.

Then you didn't get the whole point of this thread at all.This's the main thing which we are discussing right now.Qataris are selling us LNG at a price 22% higher than that proposed by Italy's ENI.

Another sweeping statement by you, isn't it ? Read Nair post again.

the price was set on oil standards.here we have the same ip which was even more expensive if looking at same principles.but only advantage is pipeline rather then shipping costs.

Pipelines are expensive to build and expensive to patrol & maintain. Besides, the initial capital outlay is amortised over a 20 year period and added to the price of gas. Therefore at a given point in time, it may not necessarily appear to be much cheaper than the marine transportation. However, over the 20 year period, transportation of large quantities of gas or liquid via pipeline is always far more economic than any other means of transport.

Supply of gas by pipelines is preferred because it is free from obstacles in road and rail transport or via ships and therefore more reliable. Additionally, LNG requires re-gasification before it is used whereas piped gas is directly fed into distribution system, therefore more convenient.

Niaz sb,

The one issue in case of pipeline whether TAPI or IP would be the safety issue. Possibility of Afghan/Taliban/Baluchi insurgents sabotaging the pipelines. Which would not be there in the case of marine transport.

Regards

Niaz sb,

The one issue in case of pipeline whether TAPI or IP would be the safety issue. Possibility of Afghan/Taliban/Baluchi insurgents sabotaging the pipelines. Which would not be there in the case of marine transport.

Regards

Agreed, that is why I included expensive to "patrol" in the first line of my post. Most gas pipelines are over-ground for the ease of maintenance, thus easy to sabotage. In my humble opinion, if IP pipeline is hidden underground thru the sensitive areas on Pakistan’s side of the border; it should be difficult to sabotage and easier to patrol.

On the other hand TAPI pipeline has to pass more than 1000 KM of hostile Afghan territory and given the political situation in Afghanistan; would be impossible to effectively patrol. Despite the above, there is no other viable way to transport Turkmenistan gas to Pakistan and / or to India.

Frankly speaking, I don’t see TAPI pipeline being built any time soon. Hence IMHO only way to make up for Pakistan’s forecast gas shortage is thru completion of IP pipeline and more LNG import.

The way Nawaz Sharif connections with Qatari royals have been revealed, this LNG deal must be investigated. There will definitely be corruption in this deal too.

A little bit of corruption is not necessarily a bad thing. As we say in our country, you need to keep the system lubricated.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom