What's new

Exodus in uniform: Stress forces more than 51,000 paramilitary men to quit

ajtr

BANNED
Reaction score
Exodus in uniform: Stress forces more than 51,000 paramilitary men to quit in just five years as army battles to keep up to strength

The country's paramilitary forces are battling alarmingly high attrition rates. In around five years, as many as 51,201 personnel out of approximately 7.26 lakh have hung up their boots.
The number of those who have preferred to trade their uniforms for civvies is close to the total strength of Assam Rifles - the oldest of these forces.
The extent of job disaffection is particularly worrying in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Border Security Force (BSF).

article-2172744-140A1FEF000005DC-510_634x414.jpg
Can you handle it? CRPF jawans police a Maoist stronghold
The details were divulged in a recent internal document circulated by the Union ministry of home affairs (MHA) among the directors general of all these forces.
The report, which has been accessed by Mail Today, termed the trend 'alarming' prompting the Union government to turn to IIM, Ahmedabad. Consequently, a crack team from the prestigious management institute which imparts lessons in corporate warfare has now got down to the business of devising a strategy for improving job satisfaction levels among officers and jawans of paramilitary forces.
Official sources said IIM-A had been engaged as a consultant to design a long-term plan for stress management among paramilitary forces by way of an "extensive study covering officials of the BSF and CRPF". Dheeraj Sharma, the IIM-A associate professor who is heading the study, declined to comment saying the matter was 'confidential and sensitive'.
While the CRPF and BSF are the biggest and most crucial central paramilitary organisations, others include the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo- Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
'The CRPF and BSF have witnessed an alarming rate of increase (more than 70 per cent) in the exodus in 2011 over 2010,' the document, in which data has been collated till September 2011, revealed.
It added that the frequency of resignations was also abnormally high in the CISF, which protects airports and industries. This force saw 37 jawans out of 10,000 quitting in 2010 and 31 leaving by September 2011, according to the MHA document.
The trend was maintained despite the CISF's plum citybased postings being the most sought after by personnel.

article-0-030B73000000044D-648_634x436.jpg
In the line of fire: Morale amongst soldiers is not particularly high, according to sources
'Paramilitary forces have become a favourite punching bag for politicians, the media and human rights activists. The morale of the personnel is not particularly high and there is a feeling that the government is not fair to them even as they are expected to lay down their lives to defend the country,' Prakash Singh, a former BSF director general told Mail Today.
Dr S.A. Asghar, former IG (medical), BSF, delved into the psychological aspect of the problem. He said personnel in the field were often stressed because they had to work 'against the normal pattern of life'. They always face threats from different quarters, be it from militants or from enemy forces on the border, he added.
Officers of the forces, too, are pressing the eject button. In fact, in the case of the CRPF, they prefer to deposit anywhere between Rs 2.5 and Rs 3 lakh to leave before the mandatory period as they find opportunities in the private sector.
An MHA official said the dissatisfaction level was so high that as many as 30 out of 190 CRPF officers of the 2005 batch had moved out, even though they had to shell out the training money spent on them by the force. Singh said the shrill condemnation of the CRPF for allegedly killing civilians in an encounter in Chhattisgarh in June-end was an indication of the problems they faced.

article-2172744-140A2CDB000005DC-333_634x434.jpg

'There is no defending the killing of civilians. But there has been little attempt to understand the conditions of a force patrolling treacherous jungles in the dead of night with little idea about where the bullet is coming from. Any other force would have acted in a similar way and the flak they have received will drive more officers to quit,' the BSF ex-chief observed.
Ajai Raj Sharma, a former BSF DG and Delhi Police commissioner, said the CRPF was always on the move and BSF personnel were permanently entrenched in distant border locations.
'They hardly get to spend time with their families. There is a need to allow them more relaxation and time with family members to check this trend,' he pointed out.
Asghar concurred and said: 'Many officers don't get ample leaves to spend time with their families. Since they speak to family members almost every day over the phone, domestic problems play on their minds.'
Nikhil Kumar, the Nagaland governor and former DG of the NSG as well as ITBP, said the attrition rate appeared to be quite high and a detailed study was required.
'I welcome the MHA's decision to engage IIM, Ahmedabad. The exercise should throw up concrete reasons behind the trend,' Kumar, who also headed the Delhi Police, said.
The MHA note further disclosed that the rate of those opting for the voluntary retirement scheme (VRS) in the BSF was 'alarmingly high'.
Out of every 10,000 personnel, 254 took VRS in 2010. In the following year, 226 of them had exercised the option by September 2011. If VRS hit the BSF hard, the major concern for the CRPF was resignation by its personnel. VRS can be availed only after 20 years of service.
This also makes officers eligible for pension and other service benefits. But they can put in their papers any time, subject to the acceptance of the resignation by the management. For every 10,000 CRPF personnel, 345 quit in 2010 and as many as 406 had left by September 2011.

They are right to do so . Para-military forces like CRPF , BSF Does not get same amenities , salaries, pensions, facilities or respect as Army personnel. It is generally a fraction of what army guys get.

They Fight with Insurgencies and Maoists continuously and take more danger than a Army personnel deployed in say Nashik or Chennai or Delhi .

Till the Time this biased outlook of Government remains it will continue to Happen . and you know the worst Part .
\
Nobody cares

They are not paramilitary forces any more. Out of the above mentioned in the report, only Assam Rifles is considered as paramilitary force. Rest all have been now classified as Central Armed Police Forces or CAPF. Each force has been raised to perform a particular duty. But each one of them has also been deployed for anti - terrorist/naxal duties. The forces are under equipped and under-manned because of huge vacancies at all levels. They are also ordered to move frequently from one place to another without any reserved accommodation on train or any dedicated transport. They have been left to fend for themselves. Several other factors including hard postings, difficult duties, long separation from families etc are reason for low morale.

It does not affect the Indian Govt if they resign. More poor people are waiting to take their place. The apathy towards them is understandable. They don't have any say in the system as all these forces are administered by the elite IPS cadre who go for 3 to 5 years in these organisations and hardly care for their progression or welfare. Even if someone wants to, he has not enough time to do so as they are there for a short period and that too at only senior level. Probably, they can't understand the problems of grassroot level. So they are not at fault.

It's the govt which has to open its mind towards these silent soldiers.

Typical ignorant, sensationalist Indian media- calling 0.04% of a force leaving an "exodus"!!

Once again these fools don't know the difference between IA and CAPFs.

Actually its about 1.4% if you just take the para military into account. 51,000 in 5 years, thats 10,200 a year. This is not too bad given the different counter insurgency and conflicts they are involved in.

Meanwhile Indians want to believe ....... Four threads were opened on this but I dont see that kind of traffic here.... Obsession with Pakistan or Living in denial I cant say.

During questioning by army officials, Ali has reportedly said that he was hoping for asylum in India. According to sources, he has also told his interrogators that lack of basic amenities - like electricity and proper supply of ration - has led to frustration among his colleagues deployed at the Line of Control or LoC. He has also complained about his seniors not granting them leaves

Arrested Pak soldier talks of frustration, poor facilities across border | NDTV.com

Which has been proved wrong anyway

Meanwhile Indians want to believe ....... Four threads were opened on this but I dont see that kind of traffic here.... Obsession with Pakistan or Living in denial I cant say.

Arrested Pak soldier talks of frustration, poor facilities across border | NDTV.com

Which has been proved wrong anyway
Were 25+ pages were not enough for you that you had to bring it here too?

Btw I read the forums, both sides have trolls..if you expected no attention to a India - Pak issue on PDF then you must be living in a parallel world!

What is this now? You are illiterate or something. Read the topic of the thread carefully before posting mate.
Tu abhi tak apne bhagode soldier ka hi rona ro raha hai. Woh to kabka wapas chala gaya. Ab tu bhi so ja yaar.

Were 25+ pages were not enough for you that you had to bring it here too?

Btw I read the forums, both sides have trolls..if you expected no attention to a India - Pak issue on PDF then you must be living in a parallel world!

So maturity is seen here..........Wow I wonder if that what we can see on other threads too...But we wont because thats how it is.....

So maturity is seen here..........Wow I wonder if that what we can see on other threads too...But we wont because thats how it is.....
Go and check who derailed that "soilder thread". And be amused. Stick to topic here if you can :D

Go and check who derailed that "soilder thread". And be amused. Stick to topic here if you can :D

Which one as four of them were opened.... But Putting laughing emoticons in threat start and title doesn't count as troll right???

Anyway back to topic.......

SO 51000 huh......big number ....Its like 51000 Times 1

Which one as four of them were opened.... But Putting laughing emoticons in threat start and title doesn't count as troll right???

Little laughing never hurt somebody :D. I was taking about 25 page thread in this section. It was derailed by your friends. If you want names go check THERE. And let's talk on topic HERE :D

On Topic: It won't be a big problem as we can see a full rush when the induction process start. But still the Jawans working in THESE forces should get their due benefits.

Height og ignorance- in context this number is minuscule.

If they cant handle the stress than its best that they leave.
There should be no room for pansies and effeminate men in the armed forces. Imagine relying on them when things get tough!

Dude, I did not comment on the thread once but have read it.. I also know the reality.. thanks but keep your wisdom with you and please be on topic!

Height og ignorance- in context this number is minuscule.
In his trolling mood he missed the earlier posts...

Little laughing never hurt somebody :D. I was taking about 25 page thread in this section. It was derailed by your friends. If you want names go check THERE. And let's talk on topic HERE :D

On Topic: It won't be a big problem as we can see a full rush when the induction process start. But still the Jawans working in THESE forces should get their due benefits.

Hah.......Can you tell me again which one thread???? Anyway I know who started troll thread and who trolled post first...... Now you derailed it even after I posted a ontopic post.

Dude, I did not comment on the thread once but have read it.. I also know the reality.. thanks but keep your wisdom with you and please be on topic!

In his trolling mood he missed the earlier posts...

I saw all the posts.....

BTW can you guys stay on topic on other threads as well????? I guess No you can't otherwise how will you sleep at night?

Back
Top Bottom