What's new

Exocet Anti-Ship Missile

Yes sure, but can't share them.

Naturally they are Offensive when in ASV role with 2 AM-39s.
Sks can only land on Tankers, not on the frigates which we have.
Well said thx for the answer, my last question, I had discussed that here many times, but would like to know a professional opinion, what do think about MANPADS (like the Mistral or Anza) on Fast attack crafts and Tankers ?Is that a totall waste of source or would that give us a little tactical window ?

Check that @Rashid Mahmood

Bangladesh Nvay firing QW-2 MANPADs.JPG

Last edited:
very well explained, the two Agosta-70 did get their last upgrade in 2010 and 2011, I know that these are equipped with the Harpoon. What do think about the defensive potential of the two Agosta-70 as a threat to the indian Navy ?
Well, though the Agosta 70s are old, Pakistan Navy did contract with the French company DCNS to purchase Submarine Tactical Integrated Combat System (SUBTICS) for these diesel-electric submarines. They got Harpoon but they do not have AIP. It is designed for littoral but can be ocean going. The 90Bs are probably more capable but when operating close to home, the 70s may well still give a good show, given that their missiles have better range. The combination 70 and 90B give essentially 2 layers, with the 90Bs closer up front delivering seaskimming Exocets and the 70s behind them delivering high diving Harpoons onto the same surface target.

Well, though the Agosta 70s are old, Pakistan Navy did contract with the French company DCNS to purchase Submarine Tactical Integrated Combat System (SUBTICS) for these diesel-electric submarines. They got Harpoon but they do not have AIP. It is designed for littoral but can be ocean going. The 90Bs are probably more capable but when operating close to home, the 70s may well still give a good show, given that their missiles have better range. The combination 70 and 90B give essentially 2 layers, with the 90Bs closer up front delivering seaskimming Exocets and the 70s behind them delivering high diving Harpoons onto the same surface target.

Nice, I thought the same but did not know that the Harpoon have a longer range, the combination of exotec and Harpoon give the PN submarinearm a greater tactical room for offensive and defensive attacks. Can you check my Post 16# I would like to read your thought about that in relation to the PN; I mean even the Bangladesh and US Navy have equipped their shipps with MANPADS, so why the PN has not viewed it as part of their air defence networoke ?

Nice, I thought the same but did not know that the Harpoon have a longer range, the combination of exotec and Harpoon give the PN submarinearm a greater tactical room for offensive and defensive attacks. Can you check my Post 16# I would like to read your thought about that in relation to the PN; I mean even the Bangladesh and US Navy have equipped their shipps with MANPADS, so why the PN has not viewed it as part of their air defence networoke ?
Exocet SM39: The missile has a range of 50 km,
EXOCET SM 39 - MBDA

versus

UGM-84L sub-launched Harpoon Block II missile can engage targets within a range of about 125 kilometers
Taiwan Takes Over Submarine-Launched Harpoon Missiles | Naval Today

Range 130km
UGM-84A Harpoon | Military Edge

For surface launches, RGM/UGM-84 variants use a solid-fueled rocket booster in an A/B44G-2 or -3 booster section, which is discarded after burn-out. Maximum range for surface launches is around 140 km (75 nm). For launch from submarines, the UGM-84A is enclosed in a capsule, which glides to the surface after launch from the torpedo tube. When the capsule breaks the surface, the front and end caps are ejected and the missile fired.UGM-84D. The Block 1C has increased range. The next version of the Harpoon anti-ship missile was the Block 1D, designated AGM-84F and RGM-84F. The Block 1D missile was longer and heavier for a significant increase in fuel load and flight duration. Because the increased length prevented the use from submarines, there was no "UGM-84F". L version is GPS-equipped Harpoon Block II for export
Boeing AGM/RGM/UGM-84 Harpoon

Well said thx for the answer, my last question, I had discussed that here many times, but would like to know a professional opinion, what do think about MANPADS (like the Mistral or Anza) on Fast attack crafts and Tankers ?Is that a totall waste of source or would that give us a little tactical window ?
Handheld: usefull against aircraft. Dutch navy used to do this on tripartite minehunters (same as those of PN), German navy on their MCM vessels.

Better to have a pedestal mounted version, cue from combat system/radar. Best to have a remotely controlled pedestal. Sandral or Simbad RC (Mistral) can be used against missiles. See e.g. the French and former-Russian LHDs of the BPE type (Mistral class)

E.g
SIMBAD-RC - MBDA
with
SEA RANGER - MBDA

Or
Set of Carrier Equipment | JOINT STOCK COMPANY RESEARCH AND PRODUCTION CORPORATION KONSTRUKTORSKOYE BYURO MASHYNOSTROYENIYA
3M-47 Gibka turreted guided weapon system | JOINT STOCK COMPANY RESEARCH AND PRODUCTION CORPORATION KONSTRUKTORSKOYE BYURO MASHYNOSTROYENIYA

Or
Air and Missile Defense Systems | Capabilities | ASELSAN

See
Bangladesh begins construction of two large warships | Page 5

Or something that integrates MANPADS Missiles into a cannon mount.

See PNS Azmat Class - Fast Attack Missile Craft | Updates & Discussions. | Page 42
1388922115.jpg
seahawk_sigma_fasgw_l.jpg

Last edited:
How different is Harpoon from Exocet? Could there be a comparison?

Check that @Rashid Mahmood

View attachment 292985

Well, practically, ships with SAM's or CIWS do not require MANPADs.

Enemy aircraft/helo's will not come within their range with the antiship missiles they have, and shooting down a missile with them is out of the question.

However, with FAC's they can be of some help, if these FAC's are operating in an offensive role.

They are more useful/ practical on shore in air defence roles, protecting VPs or near the border, as they are difficult to locate and take as compared to SAM batteries.

Well, practically, ships with SAM's or CIWS do not require MANPADs.

Enemy aircraft/helo's will not come within their range with the antiship missiles they have, and shooting down a missile with them is out of the question.

However, with FAC's they can be of some help, if these FAC's are operating in an offensive role.

They are more useful/ practical on shore in air defence roles, protecting VPs or near the border, as they are difficult to locate and take as compared to SAM batteries.

May be to secret to answer for you but, does the PN practice this tactic ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom