What's new

examples of elite burden on the poor

I spent some time yesterday watching a long documentary about how Robert Mugabe's policies ruined Zimbabwe. Sure, there were the elites leeching but by overly generous 'benefits' and 'populist policies', he did even more damage. In case of Pakistan, the elites exist in all upper strata of the society: Judges, Generals, Politicians, Beauracracies. But below them are the elites like in PIA with overly generous allowances and benefits.
I have often said that Pakistan needs a Juche like policy--but not that extreme which would hinder the exports-- to get its house in order. There will be a lot of initial pain but the country will be set on good footings after that.
A friend's father retired decades ago, but still flying free ...... amazing PIA .......

Some more gems:

These perks include residential allowances of up to Rs. 300,000 per month, fuel subsidies, education for children, grants, and a welfare system where things like service charges, profit on income, and Point of Sale (POS) fees are spent for the benefit of Grade 17-22 IR officers

All officers of BS-17, 18, and 19 will also be paid fuel subsidy at the rate of Rs. 10,000 per month while BS-17 and 18 will get Rs. 15,000 per month. The amount may vary from time to time and may exceed if needed.

Documents further reveal that an annual scholarship for the education of one dependent child of an IRS official (up to BS-07) will be provided through the Common Pool Fund

I feel they don't get idea of toll on resources even if small localize conflict.
Wars are extremely costly! A missile launched to kill a few donkey riders in Afghanistan is not for poor countries like Pakistan.
A friend's father retired decades ago, but still flying free ...... amazing PIA .......
I too have some tales to tell from some relatives who worked in PIA. I just couldn't believe their 'perks'!! I even once told one of them: If that's how middle class takes advantage of a poor country then why blame only Zardari? It is just a matter of big thieves vs small thieves.

Back
Top Bottom