What's new

Escalation can only deter Pakistan, but India seems ready to strike and afraid to wound

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indian_Army__Kashmir_AFP.jpg

An Indian army soldier looks towards the site of a gunbattle between Indian army soldiers and rebels inside an army brigade headquarters near the border with Pakistan | (File Photo/AFP)

The surgical strikes by India had caught Pakistan by surprise. This, despite India’s warning that it reserved the right to retaliate at a place and time of its own choosing. The highly professional operation was like a slap in the face of General Raheel Sharif, who was hailed in Pakistan as some sort of a self-styled Napoleon. Gen Sharif had nightmarish memories of the flak his predecessor (Gen Kayani) had to face over the US Seals raid on Abottabad. Pakistani auto-rickshaws had painted sarcastic posters on their backs: “Don’t honk loudly, you might wake up the army which is sound asleep”. He decided to brazen it out and denied any such raid had taken place at all.

Sadly, some Indian political parties were quick to pick up the enemy line just to embarrass the ruling party. A needless controversy was created which took some of the shine off the excellent operation. Such events, however, cannot be hidden forever. Bits and pieces of evidence soon surfaced in Pakistan and in radio intercepts. Stung Gen Sharif decided to react almost a month after the strikes. This way he hoped the two events would not be linked. More importantly, this would heat up the LoC just days before his retirement (November 29). If an escalation took place, he might not have to retire after all!

The Pakistani retaliation came in the form of a moderately heavy fire assault that was delivered over an extended frontage of almost 300 km from Akhnoor to Keran sector. Some 70 Indian posts and 40 villages were targeted with battalion small arms and infantry mortars ( 81/82 mm calibre). At some places, heavy calibre 120 mm mortars of the artillery were also employed.

In concert with this extended fire assault, the Pak Army also attempted three BAT actions on isolated detachments. In the Machail sector, terrorists operating with the SSG commandoes beheaded an Indian soldier. This led to outrage in India, and the Army retaliated with a concerted fire assault on four posts in the Keran sector; 75/24 mm artillery guns were used in direct shooting role and these posts were razed to the ground. Pakistan retaliated by more small arms and mortar fire that targeted some posts and villages, and killed eight civilians. India so far has refrained from escalating to the level of medium or heavy artillery or any of its multi-barrel rocket launchers.

Only these have the throw weight to inflict severe damage and punishment of an order which could force Pakistan to de-escalate. Confining fire exchanges to infantry small arms and mortars alone restricts the engagements to the level of the local battalion commanders and in effect delegates it down to the colonels and majors. Such engagements become very difficult to control because Pakistani colonels display a lot of local bravado and often will not heed instructions from their headquarters to de-escalate. Battalion-level exchanges have been going on since 1948 at varying levels of intensity. The only time these were silenced was when India engaged Pakistan in a virtual artillery war from 2000-2003.

The Bofors medium guns were used liberally and their burst fire techniques caused heavy casualties and havoc on the Pak Army which was forced to sue for a ceasefire by November 2003. The fact that this ceasefire held till recently (for 13 long years) was indicative of the punishment that Pakistan had received from Bofors. A similar artillery war had occurred along the Suez canal between Egypt and Israel in 1972.

Use of medium artillery (130-155 mm calibre) constitutes a serious escalation and hence has to be controlled at the corps and Army levels. This takes the initiative out of the hands of the local company and battalion commanders, and makes the process easier to control in a centralised manner. It is my experience that infantry small arms and mortars do little damage to troops in built-up defences and bunkers. There it mostly amounts to a waste of ammunition. Yes, in the open these can take a heavy toll but the entire LoC has now got extensive fortifications.

India seems keen not to escalate further for the time being. However, any such indication to Pakistan will only make it more adventurous. We could end up with a situation in which the use of battalion-level weapons carries on for years with minor casualties on both sides on a daily basis. If we wish to stop this, we clearly have to escalate to medium artillery and multi-barrel rocket systems and, if needed, to fighter attacks and cruise missile/rocket strikes.

The basic issue is to inflict pain of a level which can deter. We should not be too concerned about sending placatory signals on the hot lines. Ambiguity is the essence of such retaliation. The enemy should never be certain of the level to which one is ready to escalate. It should not be the case that India seems ready to strike but is afraid to wound. Pakistan has tested our patience enough and it should be quite clear about the fact that our limit of tolerance has been breached.gagandeep.bakshi@yahoo.com

http://www.newindianexpress.com/mag...to-strike-and-afraid-to-wound-1536833--1.html

The surgical strikes by India had caught Pakistan by surprise. This, despite India’s warning that it reserved the right to retaliate at a place and time of its own choosing. The highly professional operation was like a slap in the face of General Raheel Sharif, who was hailed in Pakistan as some sort of a self-styled Napoleon.

This is not going to go well with Pakistani readers here

This is not going to go well with Pakistani readers here

LOL...Pakistan has utterly humiliated india in the aftermath of "surgical strike" gullibility from poor indians :lol:

Hell, we even raided cross border and beheaded your soliders...to your OWN admission :azn:

Poor Indians..

I think we really need to stop using indhan sources, highly unprofessional and lack the facts

No offence but this is a very poorly written jingoistic article. I have seen better posts from Indians here.

First of all I don't remember the rackshaw one nor have I seen it anywhere. I have seen rackshaws sarcastically having written " don't horn. You will wake the soundly sleeping AWAM " so this article is brazingly lying. In fact u have seen rickshaws having written great things about raheel Sharif and couple of them of them were edging for take over.

Next we come to surgical strike fiasco. Its an Indian news report so why not. However that thing about a slap reeks unprofessional and ethicless writing. I am starting to wonder why he irked so many Indian analysts and many social media Indians and I have come to the conclusion that deep down they enjoyed when terrorists attack ( bear in mind when I speak about some on social media and the analysts). They liked it bcz it helped carve the image of a failed state but now that we have reduced significantly and Pakistan is moving forward, they spew their annoyance and hatred at raheel.

Ahh cross border firings started from that point. Has the writer forgotten about the destruction of the oil depot post whose pictures were posted here by drone imaging ( I believe) and the Pakistani claim about the destruction of five posts. So cross border firings began the day you martyred two of our soldiers. Highly misinformed. Secondly you demand escalation and claim that is exactly what raheel seeks. Isn't it nonsensical to give him exactly what he wants.

I wouldn't talk about the 2001-2003 border conflict. Many soldiers lost their lives due to mine mapping and India received heavy losses from artillery shelling. I have said that birder conflicts are useless and it was useless!!

Now after that the blunder was so huge that India actually changed its entire doctrine. Using the writers logic I can ascertain how heavily lost India was that they came up with a new quick fire routine to combat those losses. Senseless.

So anybody that asks for peace is losing and has obviously lost. We live in a world where demanding an end to war is akin to losing. Where did this senseless bravado came from. Where did this madness take root. So any body that says enough! To the most senseless form of warfare ( border conflict) is a coward who has lost. Unbelievable.

The writer forgot. Again lacks knowledge.

I would have written " the casualties and beating Pakistan took was so huge that musharraf, the self styled gheghis Khan, came begging to pakistan to end the conflict once and for all and solve Kashmir thus his five points" now that is patriotic jingoism.

Fire attacks, cruise missiles and rocket strikes. Where the hell do these guys come from ?

It seems the new get noticed in the columnist world is to write jingoistic crap that makes absolutely no sense. Journalistic ethics my foot right.

Finally what is with the articles from India since last month. War mongering at shocking levels. Start world war 3, don't start world war 3, escalate escalate escalate ... This ends up creating war hysteria and very harmful level of war romanticism and believe me there is nothing more maddening in this world than war romanticism in a nation that slowly creeps into the leaders and gentlemen it will lead into the leadership bcz leadership comes from the people. They are not an alien construct.

ALLAH has said that the leaders that will be placed upon you will be the reflection of yourself and your society.

Pakistan should be hurt where it hurts the most, and i am sure we are working on it.the solution for the border is not at the border,its some where else inside Pakistan.

1. the so called surgical strike was exposed by their own pwople and also by international media and UN military observers on the loc. BBC report with it's own sources called it just attack on pakistani posts.
2. the claim that heavy artillary in 2000-2003 forced pakistan for cease fire is a joke. just a year ago we fought in kargil, 2001-2002 was a military stand off in which 2000 indians died. no bullets were fired as it could have triggered a war.
pakistan called for cease fire because of war on terror and because of US pressure both sides announced cease fire.
3. artillary and MBRL will only create more problems for india as pakistan artillary is not weak as imagined by the writer.
4. cruise missile or air attack will be taken as an all out war as in the past wars started from air attacks. here too india knows that it could worsen for them.
5. in pakistan rikshaws culture is less than truck writings. writer lives in dream land. rikshaws culture is more in india.
6. the writer may be watching zee news only.

#BREAKING: #Pakistan says 7 #Pak Army soldiers killed by India during LoC firing last night in the Bhimber sector. Heavy damage on Pak side.

If we wish to stop this, we clearly have to escalate to medium artillery and multi-barrel rocket systems and, if needed, to fighter attacks and cruise missile/rocket strikes.

As if Pakistan does not possess multi barrel rocket systems and fighter attacks and cruise missiles.:disagree:
I mean seriously how naive can one be. The article seems to boost the deflating ego specially after that failed drama of surgical strike.

Back
Top Bottom