What's new

English Sheikh, Yemeni Gentleman

you are right, he is a great ambassador of KSA very likable man bless him

Yes, he did a good job in that documentary. Came across really well. Apparently he was also a good governor of the Ha'il Province.

Inside the Saudi Kingdom (BBC Documentary) - YouTube

It's amazing how many views that documentary has and how many comments.

Oldie but goldie you could say. Just like the documentary this thread is about.

But I prefer the Saudi princesses.:rofl:

28cnjuo.jpg

An award-winning documentary about Yemen from 2000. Rather good if you ask me.

Thanks for the video's. I just watched them. Very nice introduction to Yemen, its people and landscape, definitely worth visiting. I liked the ancient sky scrapers, the music and the dances. People seem nice and friendly and food seems delicious. It's kind of a unique place, unlike any other. When the security situation improves, it will get a lot more tourists, because unlike many others, this place is still authentic, like caught in a time capsule from the past. And that is something people like to see and experience.

Im kind of busy these days working on my USMLE. I don't have the time to be onboard these days but sure yeah I will definitely watch those great videos when my time helps.

Thanks for sharing homeboy, Yemen is a great country with a rich history past and present.

Thanx again:cheers:

Hey bro, good luck with your USMLE exam, Insha-Allah you will pass it. I didn't know you are a doctor. After your exam when you have more time, I got some ideas about alternative treatment that I would like to discuss.

Recently I heard on the radio, FDA and the manufacturer fooled people about Acetaminophen:
Use Only as Directed - ProPublica
150 Americans Die Each Year from Tylenol's Most Active Ingredient - Zach Schonfeld - The Atlantic Wire

I think it is best to avoid this drug, it is too dangerous, only a slight overdose will damage the liver or even kill people. I am sure you have seen this already, but I thought I would mention it as many people are still taking Tylenol and other product where the active ingredient is Acetaminophen, oblivious to the high level of danger and risk associated with it.

Thanks for the video's. I just watched them. Very nice introduction to Yemen, its people and landscape, definitely worth visiting. I liked the ancient sky scrapers, the music and the dances. People seem nice and friendly and food seems delicious. It's kind of a unique place, unlike any other. When the security situation improves, it will get a lot more tourists, because unlike many others, this place is still authentic, like caught in a time capsule from the past. And that is something people like to see and experience.

You are very welcome, bro. That is correct. It sounds like a cliche but Yemen is indeed something unique on nearly all parameters. Has a very special feel for a lots of reasons. The haunting landscapes, the diversity, the architecture, distinctive cuisine, the soul of the people etc.

Yes, and when that happens I fear that there will be so many rapid changes that all those aspects that make Yemen unique will come under danger to change.

The documentary was filmed in 1999 and published in 2000 so it is a bit outdated and only small parts of Yemen were shown.

Here below you and others can see more of Yemen in photos:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-images-multimedia/234527-yemen-ancient-arabia-arabia-felix.html

Yes, he did a good job in that documentary. Came across really well. Apparently he was also a good governor of the Ha'il Province.

Inside the Saudi Kingdom (BBC Documentary) - YouTube

It's amazing how many views that documentary has and how many comments.

Oldie but goldie you could say. Just like the documentary this thread is about.

But I prefer the Saudi princesses.:rofl:

28cnjuo.jpg

I saw this video, thanks for posting it. Fascinating, learnt quite a bit about how Saudi society functions. The governor guy is intelligent and bright and most of what he says makes sense, according to my own theory:
Human societies or civilizations when they reach a certain size constantly adapt and reinvent themselves, due to internal reorganization and external influence. The longer a society is left intact without too much external interference, the more they can achieve a high degree of internal cohesion and as a result are able to adapt to changing circumstances more quickly and efficiently, as compared to a society that has been the victim of external aggression and forced transformation. In other words, relatively untouched societies retain some competitive edge over societies that were victims of invasion and brutal subjugation. There could be many reasons for this, but one of the most important one seems to be that societies take a certain amount of time to heal themselves of the damages from external forces to come to a steady state where the heirarchical pyramid structure of societies become well defined and whole society starts functioning as a organic whole with all parts playing their respective specialized roles. A good analogy is the body of higher animals whose body has organs for specialized functions. Although all cells start out as stem cells, eventually their functions and forms change to become part of a specialized organ, such as the central nervous system, the pancreas, the liver, the heart etc. Just as it takes time to evolve from single celled blue-green algae to complex reptiles, mammals, plants etc., societies also take time to evolve into a more efficient and complex unit, that has a competitive edge over other societies that did not have time or freedom from external influence to evolve.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...d-order-road-map-future-12.html#ixzz2fhfkoe5A

Two funny thing I noticed, in the plane, there were people smoking and then the stewardesses were not wearing any Hijab.

Like Arabs, Kazakhs and Kyrgyz also have the tradition of hunting with Eagles. I have seen one huge eagle in a Kyrgyz house in Xinjiang. This video shows eagle hunting a fox and then a really big wolf, the wolf needs two eagles to subdue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwvPLPntZk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey bro, good luck with your USMLE exam, Insha-Allah you will pass it. I didn't know you are a doctor. After your exam when you have more time, I got some ideas about alternative treatment that I would like to discuss.

Recently I heard on the radio, FDA and the manufacturer fooled people about Acetaminophen:
Use Only as Directed - ProPublica
150 Americans Die Each Year from Tylenol's Most Active Ingredient - Zach Schonfeld - The Atlantic Wire

I think it is best to avoid this drug, it is too dangerous, only a slight overdose will damage the liver or even kill people. I am sure you have seen this already, but I thought I would mention it as many people are still taking Tylenol and other product where the active ingredient is Acetaminophen, oblivious to the high level of danger and risk associated with it.

The medication Acetaminophen widely known under the name paracetamol is an anti-inflammatory/anti-analgesic used as a pain reliever (headache, teeth pain, arthritis, flu...etc) and fever reducer. This type of medication under any trade/brand names like for example; Tylenol, Panadol, Dexamol has many complications and can lead to death if its used in an overdose or randomly non regularly especially for patients with liver disease such as hepatitis of all kind and patients with chronic alcoholism history. It can also result to gastrointestinal and blood disorder which may result to internal bleeding in the stomach and increases the risk of blood cancer(leukemia), kidney and liver failure.

Thanks for raising such concern as health education is an essential requirement for people with/out health history to avoid being under risk of using any kind of medications.

The medication Acetaminophen widely known under the name paracetamol is an anti-inflammatory/anti-analgesic used as a pain reliever (headache, teeth pain, arthritis, flu...etc) and fever reducer. This type of medication under any trade/brand names like for example; Tylenol, Panadol, Dexamol has many complications and can lead to death if its used in an overdose or randomly non regularly especially for patients with liver disease such as hepatitis of all kind and patients with chronic alcoholism history. It can also result to gastrointestinal and blood disorder which may result to internal bleeding in the stomach and increases the risk of blood cancer(leukemia), kidney and liver failure.

Thanks for raising such concern as heath education is an essential requirement for people with/out health history to avoid being under risk of using any kind of medications.

All the best of luck once again bro. May every Saudi Arabian abroad succeed in his academical pursuits!

I was talking to an old Yemeni-American friend of mine and he told me about this documentary called "The Reluctant Revolutionary". It is one of the better documentaries that I have seen. Just watched it.

2lmb3np.jpg

Sean McAllister, The Reluctant Revolutionary (2012)

"McAllister has achieved something incredible here. The Reluctant Revolutionary is a stunningly humane portrait that shows vividly what's at stake before leaving it bloody on the Formica floor of a battered concrete building." [Cole Abaius, Film School Rejects]

An intimate portrait of Yemen as the revolution unfolds, told through the eyes of tour guide leader Kais, an intelligent commentator on the changing times in Yemen, offering poignant moments of reflection, loss, anger and hope on the unknown road to revolution. Filmed over the course of the past year we see Kais's journey from pro-President to reluctant revolutionary, joining angry protesters in the increasingly bloody streets of Sana'a.

Kais is a 35 year-old tour guide from Sana's, the Yemeni capital, struggling to make ends meet and working in his father's travel agency. He is philosophical, articulate and reflective but as the story begins he is cynical about the undercurrents of dissent in his country and supposrtive of the President.

When one of his tours has to be cut short due to the instability and increased danger for tourists, Kais returns to Sana'a to find 2 permanent camps in the city centre: one for the President and one against. Kais is adamant that protests wont solve anything, that the President is doing his best and that violence will never be used to quash the protests. At first, he refuses to enter the anti-president camp, but is convinced by sean to have a look one night. Over a number of visits we see Kais change, "I never imagined seeing rival tribes coming and sitting here in peace, without their Kalashnikovs" he declares.

As the protest camp grows from 'Change Square' to take over the surrounding streets we see that like Kais, many other people are also being converted to the movement. Kais embraces the revolution as each Friday gets bigger, and bloodier. Through his eyes, we see the events unfolding in the peace camps - the reactions to killings, defections, the President's failure to sign a peace deal - and understand what the revolution means to ordinary Yemenis. Sean shows us a revolution in the making through the eyes of ordinary Yemeni citizens, and paints a subtle picture that shows us the very root of people's discontent and their demands from the government.

Meanwhile, foreign journalists are being tracked down and sent out of the country, and soon Sean is the only remaining foreigner in his hotel.

The Reluctant Revolutionary

Back
Top Bottom