What's new

End of the line for the Insas rifle

Jai_Hind

Reaction score
Country
India
KOLKATA: After nearly two decades in service, the Insas rifle — the mainstay of Indian security forces — is on its way out.

Launched in 1994 by Rifle Factory, Ishapore (RFI), the weapon underwent further development over the years and faced its acid test during the Kargil conflict five years later. Now, RFI is in the process of winding up the production line and concentrating on development of a multi-caliber weapon designed by the Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) in Pune.

"The Insas rifle proved its worth over the last 20 years. It will continue to serve for some more time till the multi-barrel rifle goes into production. We still recall the day when RFI supplied the first batch of 4,000 rifles to the Army in March, 1994. There were initial hiccups but the glitches were gradually ironed out. There was extreme pressure during the Kargil Conflict as damaged and jammed weapons returned to the factory and fresh lots had to be sent out. Workers at Ishapore worked day and night to repair and clean the guns and make them battle-ready," an official
said.

After meeting the country's war reserves, RFI started meeting the demands of central paramilitary forces. Finally, state police forces also replaced their 7.62 mm self loading rifles with the lighter 5.56 mm Insas. "At that time, it was the only answer to the AK-47 assault rifles used by terrorists and enemy soldiers. The 7.62 mm SLRs — also manufactured at Ishapore — were far too heavy and un-maneuverable for the infantry soldier to react fast enough. The concept of battle also changed. It was no longer thought necessary to kill an enemy soldier with a heavy- caliber 7.62 mm slug. Strategists suggested that it would be better to injure the enemy with a lighter 5.56 mm one and leave him. This would burden his comrades as they wouldn't be able to leave him lying behind in that condition.

Today, a more advanced weapon in required," the official added. A multi-caliber assault rifle (MCAR) can be used to fire different rounds, depending on the range a soldier wants to achieve and the damage he wishes to cause. In November, 2011, the Army floated a tender for the supply of MCARs. Apart from supply, the deal envisaged manufacture of the weapons in India under
licence. Several international arms manufacturers participated in the tender.

"This is a major challenge for us. The Army wants over 65,000 MCARs in the first lot and 100,000 more to be manufactured under licence in India. We will have to come up with a rifle that can clear user trials. If this doesn't happen, the Army will have to depend on supplies from abroad. Even if one were to assume that the deal is clean, it would be a big blow for a factory like ours. We can't survive without bulk orders from the defence forces. We are now working very hard to develop an indigenous MCAR as per the
ARDE's design," another official said.

End of the line for the Insas rifle - The Times of India

Last edited:
can we have some images with full specs , cost and advantages over similar foriegn wepon systems

Now give this rifles to the police and change the .303 rifles. specially to the city and metro polices.

One News; recently on one Independent leader (forget name) who punshied of death by hanging at low age; in respect police fire bullet with .303 and bullet did not fired due to its out of date life.

No this is patently false. The INSAS will live on in the hands of the Local and State police forces and various CAPFs who are still placing orders for the latest INSAS variants today.

No this is patently false. The INSAS will live on in the hands of the Local and State police forces and various CAPFs who are still placing orders for the latest INSAS variants today.

The article doesn't say otherwise; the title is only about the imminent phasing out of INSAS from the armed forces.

BTW, India's CAPFs themselves are a million plus strong, if not more. I hope they keep using INSAS for a long time to come, because frankly these are more than good enough for the job. And I wish they issue these INSAS to all state forces - it is pathetic to see some of them armed with WW2 relics. The INSAS is cheap, fully indegenous and rugged.

I blame DRDO & OFB for not cumming up with a Successor to the INSAS
We are Probably the only country which is Building Nuke subs,ACs,Ballistic Missile
Which is buying Rifles from outside
& don't say America also buys
We are Buying to equip our regular Army

Insas had problem of heat, jamming and weight . I heard this news of India going for latest version of ka and licence to build them, that must be deferred for years. Pathetic. India should learn to make own rifle at least. With all the Russian Israel and euro help can make own weapon that's preposterous.

Army could have been proactive and helped ofb in improving the gun. OFB on its part should have showed greater workmanship to build rifles upon which soldiers bet their lives. Only Indians can f*ck up a tried and tested AK platform.

And what is this multi barrel fetish the army has developed lately? Just stick to one calibre and improve the quality of your product. Also listen to your soldiers demands once in a while.

There's going to be A LOT of INSAS going around. I wonder if some will make it aboard like the ishapore rifles.

And what is this multi barrel fetish the army has developed lately? Just stick to one calibre and improve the quality of your product. Also listen to your soldiers demands once in a while.

They want a single rifle on all fronts. I'm sure the 7.62 will still be used in Kashmir, etc.(CI ops) 5.56 will be used in conventional warfare with Pakistan. For the most part at least.

Last edited:
The article doesn't say otherwise; the title is only about the imminent phasing out of INSAS from the armed forces.
BTW, India's CAPFs themselves are a million plus strong, if not more. I hope they keep using INSAS for a long time to come, because frankly these are more than good enough for the job. And I wish they issue these INSAS to all state forces - it is pathetic to see some of them armed with WW2 relics. The INSAS is cheap, fully indegenous and rugged.
They're still buying them:

“Similarly, the force is using INSAS and AK series of rifles which never encountered any problem. An order has also been placed to procure the latest version of INSAS which was recently purchased by CISF and seems to be a good weapon with new user friendly features,”

Central Forces not to cut on equipment -The New Indian Express

I blame DRDO & OFB for not cumming up with a Successor to the INSAS
We are Probably the only country which is Building Nuke subs,ACs,Ballistic Missile
Which is buying Rifles from outside
& don't say America also buys
We are Buying to equip our regular Army

But the DRDO has, see MCW (multi-calibre weapon), this will be the standard rifle of the IA under the F-INSAS program.

DRDO's MCW:

DRDO-developed+Multi-Calibre+Assault+Rfile.jpg

nsas had problem of heat, jamming and weight . I heard this news of India going for latest version of ka and licence to build them, that must be deferred for years. Pathetic. India should learn to make own rifle at least. With all the Russian Israel and euro help can make own weapon that's preposterous.

These issues were solved long back.

Army could have been proactive and helped ofb in improving the gun. OFB on its part should have showed greater workmanship to build rifles upon which soldiers bet their lives. Only Indians can f*ck up a tried and tested AK platform.

They have done so and the latest varient- the 1B1 is pretty much what the IA had wanted and is a decent weapon.

1B1:

qpeu.jpg

2w56iom.jpg

It's not a fetish but a fair enough demand. Right now the IA is using the INSAS as their standard issue "battle rifle" for the majority of their units but for those involved in CT/CI ops they are issuing the AK. As such troops have to be trained on a new rifle and there is an added logistics headache. The thinking behind the IA's demands for a multi-cal rifle is perfectly sound- all personel in the IA will be proficient on this one rifle system, when being deployed to CI/CT missions the units simply change out their 7.62/heavy rounds and when returning to their bases/conventional duties they can revert to their 5.56mm/battle rounds.

Any idea about actual design or status of this new MCW developed by ARDE? There are various reports saying they are currently on user trails.

They're still buying them:

Central Forces not to cut on equipment -The New Indian Express

But the DRDO has, see MCW (multi-calibre weapon), this will be the standard rifle of the IA under the F-INSAS program.

DRDO's MCW:

DRDO-developed+Multi-Calibre+Assault+Rfile.jpg

These issues were solved long back.

They have done so and the latest varient- the 1B1 is pretty much what the IA had wanted and is a decent weapon.

1B1:

qpeu.jpg

2w56iom.jpg

It's not a fetish but a fair enough demand. Right now the IA is using the INSAS as their standard issue "battle rifle" for the majority of their units but for those involved in CT/CI ops they are issuing the AK. As such troops have to be trained on a new rifle and there is an added logistics headache. The thinking behind the IA's demands for a multi-cal rifle is perfectly sound- all personel in the IA will be proficient on this one rifle system, when being deployed to CI/CT missions the units simply change out their 7.62/heavy rounds and when returning to their bases/conventional duties they can revert to their 5.56mm/battle rounds.

The rifle looks very Futuristic
You know what is the current status of the gun
Some people say it is in user trials

Any idea about actual design or status of this new MCW developed by ARDE? There are various reports saying they are currently on user trails.

By now, there should be prototypes trialing.

ARDE designs multiple-calibre rifle, begins prototyping

Wednesday, 13 March 2013 - 10:38 AM IST

ARDE scientists are now in the process of preparing three prototypes of this weapon system and will be ready for user trials by August this year, ARDE sources said. The weapon will reduce the need for a soldier to carry different types of assault weapons.

Wishful thinking: Some rearsenaled semi auto's make way to US civilian mkt... I'll be first in line to get one....

Wishful thinking: Some rearsenaled semi auto's make way to US civilian mkt... I'll be first in line to get one....
I know you're a massive gun lover sir and I have a pretty keen interest in firearms myself. I'd love to see what a US gunsmith/fabricaters could do with the INSAS in terms of improvements and accessories. I've seen the likes of Red Jacket Firearms do some pretty wild things with rifles. 
Should be with IA trail teams.

Back
Top Bottom