What's new

Eileen Gu Enrages Nationalists by Taking U.S. Olympics Role

Yes, why should the common man's opinion be no different?

Unless China thinks "everybody is equal...but some are more equal than others"
Because people have different responsibilities and knowledge.

I don't take the opinions of janitors seriously when talking about law, neither do I take the opinions of lawyers seriously when talking about cleaning.

Random nationalists aren't paid to run the country. They have their own expertise i.e. their day jobs.

Because people have different responsibilities and knowledge.

I don't take the opinions of janitors seriously when talking about law, neither do I take the opinions of lawyers seriously when talking about cleaning.

Random nationalists aren't paid to run the country. They have their own expertise i.e. their day jobs.

LOL! I didn't think people's opinions on Eileen Gu's situation required a degree to fully understand. It seemed quite simple.

I guess those "janitor types" should shut up and let the "pros" comment on such a topic...they should stick with just the simplistic topics of the "dumb masses" if they know what's good for them!!!

Plus why are you even commenting in this thread since people who are half white and half asian makes your blood boil and all you can insinuate is people like this end up in sadness and tragedy.

FairAndUnbiased said:
His rage against Asian men and white women led to a killing spree solely targetted at those 2 groups. All of his influence is from his white father and Chinese mother.

Contrary to your logic it appears Eileen Gu has leveraged her shared background to the max and she does not look like some undesirable genomic freak who is destined to go on a killing spree due to continuous rejection by white/Chinese suitors over her looks. :rolleyes1:

EileenGu.png

I'm quite sure she will be fine...

Last edited:
But China's gold medals in skiing will forever be tainted by the fact that those medals were not won by a Chinese, but by an American athlete who essentially prostituted her athleticism to a country that was not even her birth country, never cared for her, never raised her, and will never see her as anything but American.
chance is she will be competing for China in the next winter Olympic by the time she graduates from Stanford. Just a girl goes to college, nothing else. Xi's own daughter went to Harvard so Xi's presidency must be tainted I guess

Two competing hashtags about Eileen Gu are trending on Weibo, China's main social media website, after the ski star said she didn't regret representing her mother's homeland at the recent Winter Olympic Games—and then announced an ambassadorial role as part of a United States Olympic bid.

The California-born athlete, also known in China as Gu Ailing, became China's poster child when she took home two golds and one silver in freestyle skiing at the Beijing Games in February. Her sporting success was widely celebrated by the Chinese public and was significant for the country's ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP), too.

Speaking at the Time 100 gala on Tuesday, Gu said she chose to represent China "to inspire young girls" in a country where winter sports are only just taking off. "No, I don't have any regrets," she told the magazine's Sean Gregory in New York.

"I am actually an ambassador for the Salt Lake City 2030 Olympic bid," Gu said when asked about the prospect of competing for Team USA in the future. "I think that's this beautiful example of globalism, and of the capacity that we can use skiing, we can use sport and we can use winter sport to connect people."

On Weibo, a site that boasted more than 570 million active monthly users in 2021, Gu's comments went viral. One hashtag—"Gu Ailing has never regretted representing China"—was read 120 million times in six hours since Wednesday morning local time, according to the website's statistics.

Another—"Gu Ailing to serve as ambassador for U.S. Olympic bid"—was read 300 million times over the same period, the data showed.

The online engagement showed that, if nothing else, Gu's decision to become a Salt Lake City envoy has divided opinion, her every move already being scrutinized under the lens of wider geopolitical friction between Washington and Beijing.

Tom Kelly, a spokesperson for the Salt Lake City bid committee said that Gu would act as an "athlete representative," but the "exact title" of her role had yet to be decided.

For nationalists in both countries, the controversy surrounding Gu goes beyond her 2019 decision to ski for Team China at the Winter Olympics earlier this year, a move she said was supported by her peers in the U.S.

Gu says she's American when she's stateside and Chinese when in China, but some don't find this idyllic coexistence easy to accept. The teenager is caught between two rival polities, both of which readily latch on to opportunities to question her loyalty.

At the games in Beijing, Gu told reporters she wasn't going to waste her time "trying to placate people who are uneducated." She has largely stayed out of politics.

Emblematic of the controversy is Gu's legal status. She's thought to have acquired Chinese citizenship sometime after 2019 to enable her to compete for China. However, the country doesn't recognize dual nationality, meaning she would have to had renounced her U.S. citizenship to become legally Chinese.

The Federal Register publishes a quarterly list of individuals who have "chosen to expatriate." Gu's name has not appeared on any of the lists to date, including the latest dated April 20.

Many in China are satisfied with the thought that Beijing wouldn't create a legal exemption just for Gu. But for Chinese nationalists, dual nationality, even if it were allowed, wouldn't be satisfactory.

During the recent Winter Games, prominent commentators warned their fellow citizens not to get too attached to Gu; where her allegiances truly lie would be clear after the competition, depending on where she chose to live, they said. Gu is expected to begin college at Stanford this fall.

In early April, at a gathering of athletes and CCP officials to celebrate China's achievements at the Olympics, President Xi Jinping mentioned Gu by name and referenced her love of Chinese pies—another moment that went viral online.

Two weeks later, as Shanghai went into a COVID lockdown and infections in Beijing began to tick up, Gu shared Instagram stories showing her and her family on a private jet out of the capital.

"I'd only recognize her Chinese bloodline if her father were Chinese. Being legally Chinese is something else; hyping her up as Chinese is meaningless. China has so many excellent homegrown athletes—why her?" wrote one Weibo commentator, in an apparent reference to Gu's American father.

"For two golds and one silver, we let her rake in 200 million [Chinese yuan ($30 million)] and quietly allowed dual citizenship. Now she's having her cake and eating it at both ends," another said.

In a Twitter thread reacting to Gu's announcement, China sports analyst Mark Dreyer said he believes she was "overcompensating for her decision to represent China in 2022."

"I'm all for people trying to build bridges—especially when it comes to the challenging US-China relationship—but you can't be 'all-in' on both sides. It doesn't sit right with either side," Dreyer said.

The International Olympic Committee is expected to announce the 2030 Winter Game's host in May 2023. Japan's Sapporo and Canada's Vancouver, along with Salt Lake, are bidding to hold the event. Salt Lake is also in with a chance to host the Games in 2034 if the city's first bid fails.

Skier Eileen Gu’s decision to join the US bid to host a Winter Olympics sparked fierce debate in China over the American-born athlete’s split loyalties between the world’s two largest economies.

Gu’s announcement at the TIME100 Summit in New York that she’d become an ambassador for the US effort to hold the event in Salt Lake City in 2030 or 2034 was the second-most-read topic on China’s Twitter-like Weibo on Wednesday morning. A hashtag of the freeskier’s comments that she didn’t regret representing China at the Winter Olympics racked up some 26 million reads.

Her decision to endorse a US Olympic bid was seen as a betrayal by some, coming so soon after Gu won gold for China. “Is she Chinese or American?” one user wrote, while another sniped that she’d “pretended” to be Chinese to make millions in endorsements, referring to the 18-year-old’s deals with companies including JD.com Inc. and Luckin Coffee Inc.

Others were more supportive. “My friend Gu Ailing is really wonderful and makes me proud,” wrote one user, referring to the athlete by her Chinese name.

Gu shot to stardom in China by winning two gold medals and a silver at this year’s Beijing Winter Olympics, helping the nation land a record nine golds. Her success was a soft power coup for Beijing, prompting President Xi Jinping to mention her by name at an awards ceremony in April.

More nationalist voices in China were critical of Gu during the Winter Games, with former editor of the Communist Party’s Global Times newspaper Hu Xijin warning she shouldn’t be seen as a patriot because it wasn’t clear what nationality she would hold in future.

China doesn’t allow dual nationality and Gu has skirted questions about whether she gave up her US citizenship when she decided in 2019 to compete for China. She’s frequently pledged support to both China and the US, and cited creating a “shared future” of globalism as one of her main goals of competing for the Asian nation.

She's a good businesswoman

Eileen Gu’s Chinese fans flock to Weibo to hail star’s decision to join US Winter Olympics bid as ambassador

• Double Olympic gold medallist says decision shows ‘beauty of globalisation’, adding she has backing of ‘incredibly supportive’ China
  • More than 220 million Chinese fans flock Weibo to voice their support, with many describing Gu as a ‘powerful’ female role model and ambassador

Josh Ball
Josh Ball
Published: 10:41am, 8 Jun, 2022

China’s Eileen Gu poses after winning the women’s freeski halfpipe at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics. Photo: TNS

China’s Eileen Gu poses after winning the women’s freeski halfpipe at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics. Photo: TNS

A growing chorus of Eileen Gu fans have taken to Weibo to show support her decision to serve as an ambassador for the US bid to host the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2030 or 2034.

More than 220 million people have so far responded to a hashtag, with comments overwhelmingly in support of the teenager’s decision to side with the Salt Lake City bid.

“Gu Ailing is an international ambassador and influential athlete,” said one user. “I feel that it is rare to have such an excellent woman with international characteristics.”

China’s Eileen Gu poses with her three Olympic medals before a commendation ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. Photo: AP

China’s Eileen Gu poses with her three Olympic medals before a commendation ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. Photo: AP

“Gu Ailing’s influence in the sports field is far beyond the cognition of most Chinese people,” said another user. “When the media interviewed her, they either asked her what she liked to eat, or asked her how many hours she slept a day, and never looked at her achievements.”

Many have also referred to “Frog Princess” as she is known on Weibo as a “powerful” female role model and ambassador.

Gu represented China at the Beijing Winter Olympics earlier this year, winning two golds and a silver. A decision she said at the time was motivated by a desire to “inspire millions of young people” in her mother’s home country.

The teenager revealed her decision during the TIME100 Summit on Wednesday (Hong Kong Time), and said she saw it as a “beautiful example of globalisation”.

“Salt Lake specifically wants to become a global destination for athletes everywhere to come train there and they want to incorporate 15 new countries into the Winter Olympics,” she said. “I think that’s something that’s really beautiful and I’ve always stood for that and so I’m really honoured to be a part of the whole thing.”

Gu has long referenced the support she received in both the US and China when she was developing as an athlete, and said both countries continued to support her in her endeavours.

“I had this tremendous support from the US ski team from a moral level, from an emotional level in the sense that when I told them that I wanted to compete for China in the upcoming Olympics that it was to inspire young girls, it was to spread the sport and it was to create a shared future of globalism,” she said.

“They were 100 per cent behind me and they continue to be incredibly supportive and the same is true of the Chinese side.”

Chinese Olympian Eileen Gu reacts after being mobbed by fans and journalists in Beijing. Photo: EPA-EFE

Chinese Olympian Eileen Gu reacts after being mobbed by fans and journalists in Beijing. Photo: EPA-EFE

While Gu was widely embraced in China, she has continually refused to answer questions over her nationality and whether she still holds US citizenship.

China does not allow dual citizenship, but there is no record of Gu ever renouncing her US one.

Any time she has been asked, Gu has always pointed to the “hundreds of young girls” who contact her via social media saying she inspires them.
The 18-year-old said her desire to be involved with the US Olympic bid was not about that country or China, it was about making skiing visible “where it wasn’t before”.

“It’s in the US, it’s in Canada, it’s in Europe,” she said. “It’s in all these places where free skiing wasn’t visible before and now it is. And that’s the bottom line.”

LOL! I didn't think people's opinions on Eileen Gu's situation required a degree to fully understand. It seemed quite simple.

I guess those "janitor types" should shut up and let the "pros" comment on such a topic...they should stick with just the simplistic topics of the "dumb masses" if they know what's good for them!!!
Of cos, it needs a degree since you all want to politicise it. Let me ask u, do yr politician has high school education only? :enjoy:

Plus why are you even commenting in this thread since people who are half white and half asian makes your blood boil and all you can insinuate is people like this end up in sadness and tragedy.

FairAndUnbiased said:

Contrary to your logic it appears Eileen Gu has leveraged her shared background to the max and she does not look like some undesirable genomic freak who is destined to go on a killing spree due to continuous rejection by white/Chinese suitors over her looks. :rolleyes1:

View attachment 853969
I'm quite sure she will be fine...
I didn't comment about Eileen Gu much but apparently she does not really have a white father - her mom was a single mom and it's rumored that she actually used a sperm bank. Was there really a cultural white male influence in her life?

You seem to care greatly about my opinion, but I've never said anything against half Asians/hapas. who said half Asians must have a white dad after all?

Xi's own daughter went to Harvard so Xi's presidency must be tainted I guess
Yes, tainted by hypocrisy.

The Chinese culture despise gold diggers and the old American value did also, despite in a lesser degree. But you seem to enjoy and cheer such actions. So do you think the American social values are mutated now and that China should follow as well?
Wrong. If I cheered such actions, why did I criticized Gu in the first place? The point in my comment (to you) was that we should call Gu for exactly what she is.

I am not sure what she got from China. Did she get product endorsement deals worth millions in China ?

You seem to care greatly about my opinion, but I've never said anything against half Asians/hapas. who said half Asians must have a white dad after all?

Well remember my thread brought you out of your 8 year PDF retirement so I'm not the one who was caring about opinions. I certainly struck a nerve.

I came back after 8 years specifically to post this

Well remember my thread brought you out of your 8 year PDF retirement so I'm not the one who was caring about opinions. I certainly struck a nerve.

I am merely sounding the alarm on creepy alt right fascists with Asian fetish and WMAF incels.

My concern about these extremists is shared by your mainstream media.

Why do you take offense to this? If I'm mistaken and you aren't a creepy fascist with Asian fetish then this doesn't apply to you.

Back
Top Bottom