What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Hello lads, long time no see.

I wonder, has Egyptian army/air force used any anti-air systems during operations in Sinai, in case militants for example used UAVs? If so, are there any pictures of the systems in Sinai/providing coverage over Sinai?

But then for someone, you just knew when you see how they act/react, or how they think, people had been on the frontline think differently, something unique and you can tell almost right away even if we are talking about a very brief interaction, I really can't explain that, call it premonition or whatever, but if you had served, you notice the habit of how people talk and how people react and you know they also had served, it's a cliche but I can only say it's something you need to be in on it to understand, I just can't use word to describe that.

That's the easy way to tell when you're an experienced veteran like yourself, but for a layman who's been fascinated by fighter jets and anything warfare, it's even easy for me to tell only because on top of that military enthusiasm and quite historically knowledgeable, not to mention the 10s of pros I've had extensive convos with and have been on countless forums where the majority of the members were ex-military and you can EASILY tell the things they know and can and cannot talk about coupled with their extensive knowledge of all things military as well as the things that are OPSEC. On top of that, being from the ol' country, if your part of a family that has two or more male siblings, you're automatically required to serve mandatory service and believe it or not, your time & rank is determined through a lottery ballot LOLOL. If you're unlucky, you get chosen to serve as a solder which is 3 years or lucky, an officer which is 1 year 3 months. Doth my older brothers and myself lucked out and all 3 got to be soldiers and I was assigned to the EADS sector.

Not that experience gave me the ability to instantly recognize a phony or not, but it helps to certain extent when another member here on this forum (and I won't mention is name since you probably already know who it is as well as others and honestly, I respect him quite a bit but this part disappoints me to no end) whom I've called out on MANY occasions yet beats around the bush for the strangest reason because he is a USAF veteran and seems to value the respect of a pilot more than a crewman which is an embarrassing shame. However, he always prefaces his super knowledgeable posts with "when I was with the USAF" and he goes on to speak as if he was a pilot, but he NEVER WAS ONE, but rather a crewman for the F-16 and the F-111. I know this for a fact because he mentioned it on an old forum that is now defunct that he was a crewman and spoke about an one instance where he was awarded a friendly flight in an F-16D (you know how the USAF gives those to exemplary crewman a free 20 minute flight in an F-16D and even let them take temporary control of the stick etc. and then land and give them a soaking of champagne and a cake etc.? Right? You're familiar with that, I'm sure. But since I joined this forum and noticed him with the same username and demeanor, he had already been on here for a while. Not once did he EVER mention or admitted that fact and always presented his points in his posts as if he was a fulltime pilot which to me is the ultimate form of disingenuousness, especially coming from ex-military personnel since there is NOTHING shameful about being a crewman whatsoever. Quite the contrary, those who served in that capacity are about as noble as can be considering that without them, those pilots who get all the glamor and accolades are nothing compared to the crew whom the latter actually own the aircraft, not the pilots. I found that to be a real shame.

I wonder, has Egyptian army/air force used any anti-air systems during operations in Sinai, in case militants for example used UAVs? If so, are there any pictures of the systems in Sinai/providing coverage over Sinai?

Long time no see! Good to have you again wish you would participate more often. BTW, I saw a very wildly cool marking on an M270MLRS I posted I few pages ago traveling the regular streets of Alexandria I think it was and wanted to ask you what unit it was, (it had an X and something else I couldn't recognize but they were marked under the folding ramp but obviously visible when folded up. Thought for sure you would know.

As far as anti-air systems during Sinai (2018 I'm assuming and not now, yes?), I'm willing to bet they operated manned jeeps with 9K38 Igla-S MANPADS but that's about it, if even that.

1700141507513.png

1700141137031.png

As far as I know ISIS didn't have any real aerial threat like for examples drones etc... It was alway either ambushes, IED or sniper shots that caused the problems.

That's the easy way to tell when you're an experienced veteran like yourself, but for a layman who's been fascinated by fighter jets and anything warfare, it's even easy for me to tell only because on top of that military enthusiasm and quite historically knowledgeable, not to mention the 10s of pros I've had extensive convos with and have been on countless forums where the majority of the members were ex-military and you can EASILY tell the things they know and can and cannot talk about coupled with their extensive knowledge of all things military as well as the things that are OPSEC. On top of that, being from the ol' country, if your part of a family that has two or more male siblings, you're automatically required to serve mandatory service and believe it or not, your time & rank is determined through a lottery ballot LOLOL. If you're unlucky, you get chosen to serve as a solder which is 3 years or lucky, an officer which is 1 year 3 months. Doth my older brothers and myself lucked out and all 3 got to be soldiers and I was assigned to the EADS sector.

Not that experience gave me the ability to instantly recognize a phony or not, but it helps to certain extent when another member here on this forum (and I won't mention is name since you probably already know who it is as well as others and honestly, I respect him quite a bit but this part disappoints me to no end) whom I've called out on MANY occasions yet beats around the bush for the strangest reason because he is a USAF veteran and seems to value the respect of a pilot more than a crewman which is an embarrassing shame. However, he always prefaces his super knowledgeable posts with "when I was with the USAF" and he goes on to speak as if he was a pilot, but he NEVER WAS ONE, but rather a crewman for the F-16 and the F-111. I know this for a fact because he mentioned it on an old forum that is now defunct that he was a crewman and spoke about an one instance where he was awarded a friendly flight in an F-16D (you know how the USAF gives those to exemplary crewman a free 20 minute flight in an F-16D and even let them take temporary control of the stick etc. and then land and give them a soaking of champagne and a cake etc.? Right? You're familiar with that, I'm sure. But since I joined this forum and noticed him with the same username and demeanor, he had already been on here for a while. Not once did he EVER mention or admitted that fact and always presented his points in his posts as if he was a fulltime pilot which to me is the ultimate form of disingenuousness, especially coming from ex-military personnel since there is NOTHING shameful about being a crewman whatsoever. Quite the contrary, those who served in that capacity are about as noble as can be considering that without them, those pilots who get all the glamor and accolades are nothing compared to the crew whom the latter actually own the aircraft, not the pilots. I found that to be a real shame.
Well, I used to care about people stolen valor a lot, not that much now since I am getting older, I just sort of let it go and think it would be easier to just humor these people, unless this is for official thing (like marching at the VFW or getting benefit and stuff like that) Say, if I went to a bar, and hearing story that is obviously not true, used to be when I just got up and I will confront these people, but now I will just laugh at it and move on.

As I mentioned before, I don't understand why people would want to claim experience that they did not have and think there are something glorious about that. I mean I served two tours, coming out broken and have problem even just looking at my old uniform, countless hours laying on my bed replaying scenario of "What if I did this" That's not a fun thing to do. That's probably why I was mad when I was younger because I just felt unfair that these people claim all the glory but none of the baggage. I don't know.

On the other hand, In a forum like this, it's more important to read the content of the post than to believe who people claim to be. I mean, anyone can claim to be anything, but I wouldn't just buy someone saying they were vet just because they said so, it's always what's the content and what they know. I try to post stuff that I know and learn stuff that I don't, and that's whether or not I would say I am a vet, claiming anything just wouldn't do. At the end of the day, each one experience his/her own life, be it a soldier, or a baker or an accountant. It's a lot more to listen to people story, than what he or she claim to be.

As for the last part, I have a pretty good idea who you are talking about, I didn't know that about him, maybe he had a good reason or maybe he doesn't, I don't know, embellishing service resume are quite common tho, I mean even Reagan did that when he said he saw the death camp firsthand. Sometimes it probably just for kicks, and sometimes they may really, really wanted to be part of that but can't for whatever reason, but as they say, "You weren't a part of it for a reason." I think people wanted to belong to something or a part of something bigger and started to imagine thing and started to embellish their resume. It's a shame that people think their own service is not enough and have to fabricate something else, for me, I am more than gladly to be one of those logistic guys or Rear Echelon type. I mean, people tend to overlook the achievement these folks made because their job is more or less safe and boring, but still, they are part of the team, yes, they may not be able to tell you exciting war story, but that does not mean their job is not important. I mean ask any frontline guy how big a role is those supply clerk plays? or the Quartermaster, I for one can tell you I can't live without my QM.

Long time no see! Good to have you again wish you would participate more often. BTW, I saw a very wildly cool marking on an M270MLRS I posted I few pages ago traveling the regular streets of Alexandria I think it was and wanted to ask you what unit it was, (it had an X and something else I couldn't recognize but they were marked under the folding ramp but obviously visible when folded up. Thought for sure you would know.

As far as anti-air systems during Sinai (2018 I'm assuming and not now, yes?), I'm willing to bet they operated manned jeeps with 9K38 Igla-S MANPADS but that's about it, if even that.
Don't worry, I took a longer break from Egyptian military, but I'll now be more active again and catch up with what I missed. I'll try to be more active, though still more of a spectator as I often don't have much of value to add to the discussions. And thank you, missed you guys too!

I'll check older posts and see if I can identify the M270, though don't expect much, I'm afraid I'm useless when it comes to units and branches of EG military.

As for the AA systems, I meant in general during the 2011-2023 long campaign against IS terrorists in Sinai, not any exercises. I'm certain soldiers had MANPADS stored on bases/bigger checkpoints, but that's all I could find. Maybe there was no need for bigger systems?
By the way, regarding the Jeeps, I think they are modified this way just for exercises/training so soldiers with MANPADS learn how to shoot on the move. I could be wrong but I don't think it's something that would be used normally.
As far as I know ISIS didn't have any real aerial threat like for examples drones etc... It was alway either ambushes, IED or sniper shots that caused the problems.
Really? Hmmm, interesting, I would expect to see them, specially since UAVs have become increasingly common asset for attacks and recon in insurgent arsenals over the past few years and the vast distances of Sinai desert.

Really? Hmmm, interesting, I would expect to see them, specially since UAVs have become increasingly common asset for attacks and recon in insurgent arsenals over the past few years and the vast distances of Sinai desert.
ISIS campaign ended before any drones were popular i never saw drones being used by them only by the military for recconisance. If the campaign was any longer you would definitly see more use of drones which wouldve made them harder to deal with

I also never understood the basic equipment of a fireteam in the Egyptian infantry battlions not sa3qa. Is it soviet or american style? If someone can shed some light on that

I also never understood the basic equipment of a fireteam in the Egyptian infantry battlions not sa3qa. Is it soviet or american style? If someone can shed some light on that
It is soviet. We still have soviet doctrine. We rely more on quantity rather than quality. We still use the same old AK that is "obsolete" in modern warfare, some old soviet APCs and IFVs.

@sami_1 you have any news about the new equipment for a infrantry soldier? New weapons standard rifle etc..?

@Hydration @Gomig-21 @The SC SA-3 in Sinai. Ignore what he said about the kanzhar missile hahaha
Great catch! This is exactly what I was looking for, only shame it isn't from the period of operations in Sinai against ISIS.

Anyway, I discussed this today with a local journalist and he told me no anti-air defences were deployed in Sinai due to agreement between Israel and Egypt, part of which restricts deployment of such systems within Sinai Peninsula. I wonder what recently changed, maybe Israel gave green light considering latest strikes by Houthis?

Here an I think it is a BUK system but not sure

Another surprises for you

Another SA-3 system
Woah there! The first video shows mixture of BUK-M2E and BUK-M1-2 TELs, TELARs, Ranzhir command posts and radar. Second S-125-M2 Pechora-2M and some associated equipment. Is it confirmed it is being moved to Sinai? And if so, why?

Those systems will be useless against those terrorist.
It's not just about using the systems against terrorists. Many of these systems act as a deterent and also prevention. Terrorists don't need to be using UAVs in order for the army/air force to deny them using any such systems before they even do. Or if any of the terrorists get the bright idea to use aerial threats, they performance will be minimal thanks to denying them easy operation of such systems.
That being said, if the anti-air systems are indeed being moved to Sinai, I don't think it's because of the remnants of IS and other groups. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Sisi has declared at the start of 2023 that Egypt has won the war against insurgents and now it's reportedly just low intensity.

Woah there! The first video shows mixture of BUK-M2E and BUK-M1-2 TELs, TELARs, Ranzhir command posts and radar. Second S-125-M2 Pechora-2M and some associated equipment. Is it confirmed it is being moved to Sinai? And if so, why?

It's not just about using the systems against terrorists. Many of these systems act as a deterent and also prevention. Terrorists don't need to be using UAVs in order for the army/air force to deny them using any such systems before they even do. Or if any of the terrorists get the bright idea to use aerial threats, they performance will be minimal thanks to denying them easy operation of such systems.
That being said, if the anti-air systems are indeed being moved to Sinai, I don't think it's because of the remnants of IS and other groups. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Sisi has declared at the start of 2023 that Egypt has won the war against insurgents and now it's reportedly just low intensity.
Look you know sometimes on Tiktok, people tends to exaggerate, we don't know if it is really in Sinai yes or no but most probably it would be. Tanks moved towards Gaza/Israel borders. But it is sus because moving SA-3, Buks in the same time.

Look you know sometimes on Tiktok, people tends to exaggerate, we don't know if it is really in Sinai yes or no but most probably it would be. Tanks moved towards Gaza/Israel borders. But it is sus because moving SA-3, Buks in the same time.
Indeed, which is why I'm slightly sceptical. I sent it to a friend for geolocation so we will see if he is able to tell where the videos were filmed. He said the first video with Pechora-2Ms looks a lot like area around Cairo but will specify the location later. Definitely suspicious, unless there is some exercise planned? I guess we might find out soon.
Army M270A1 MLRS being transported on a M1070A1 HET during 2018 operations.

View attachment 969062
View attachment 969063
Finally found the post you meant and I instantly recognized the photos because I've had them in my files for a while and also thought what could the markings mean. Although I do not know, I think it has nothing to do with unit markings. Probably just some transportation markings.
By the way the truck transporting the M270 is International Paystar 5000 and they have always unit marking on the doors, like here:
International Paystar 5000 tank transporter, YPR-765 PRI.jpg

Speaking of M270 MLRS and Sinai, are there any photos/videos from operations in Sinai? Or in general of artillery systems?
I only know of SPH-122s being used extensively:
SPH-122 (4).jpg

SPH-122 (2).jpg

SPH-122 (8).jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom