What's new

Duterte Seeks Arms From China, Ends Joint Patrols With U.S.

China is in a terrible geographical disadvantage. Her coastline is flanked by powerful military of south korea in the north, japan n taiwan in the central, n u.s allied phillipnes in the south. These four states r the front line that china has to beat before thinking about breaking out of the first island chain. These 4 states will keep china busy now n forever before china can even think about challenging the u.s in the pacific. What china is doing now is trying to break into the first island chain via the phillipnes.

The u.s otoh is in a great geographical advantage with both sides flanked by two oceans n friendly land neighbors. This is why the u.s is the strongest. With favorable geography, powerful military, powerful or friendly allies in the pacific. Those 3 conditions china lacks

China is in a terrible geographical disadvantage. Her coastline is flanked by powerful military of south korea in the north, japan n taiwan in the central, n u.s allied phillipnes in the south. These four states r the front line that china has to beat before thinking about breaking out of the first island chain. These 4 states will keep china busy now n forever before china can even think about challenging the u.s in the pacific. What china is doing now is trying to break into the first island chain via the phillipnes.

The u.s otoh is in a great geographical advantage with both sides flanked by two oceans n friendly land neighbors. This is why the u.s is the strongest. With favorable geography, powerful military, powerful or friendly allies in the pacific. Those 3 conditions china lacks

All meaningless geographical rhetoric. Yet, despite your claims many former allies are in the mood of abandoning you. That begs the question WHY?

You claim to be a geographical powerhouse, but seek allies in Syria in the form of Russia and around the SCS. That can be counted as dependence on others and hence a weakness. If you are thinking that South Korea and Japan are ever going to attack China you are living in lala land. This is not Timubuktu. These countries may have disagreements and territorial disputes, but they are never going to ravage their region over some country on the other side of the hemisphere. You can play that game in the Middle East, but this region is too smart for divide and conquer.

Last edited:
I know a very very successful & very good christian family in Chicago. 2nd gen Americans from Philippines and they hated US policies. one of the guys from the family was my boss at the time & would often chant jewus , jewusa !

Duterte: PH to buy defense assets from Russia, China

Rappler
ppd-250-presidential-airwing-anniv-20160913-12_A703C2B978C74B1DBAA61E0642EC6649.jpg

Pia Ranada

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has instructed Philippine defense officials to go to Russia and China to buy defense assets from those countries.

"I would like to ask Defense Secretary Lorenzana to, samahan kayo – the technical people. Pumunta kayo ng Russia at pumunta kayo ng China at tingnan ninyo kung ano ang pinakamabuti," said Duterte on Tuesday, September 13.

(I would like to ask Defense Secretary Lorenzana to accompany the technical people. Go to Russia and China and see what's the best.)

He was speaking at the 48th anniversary of the Presidential Airlift Wing at Villamor Air Base, attended by Philippine Air Force (PAF) troops and military officials.

Two countries, he said, have offered the Philippine government a soft loan for the purchase of military equipment.

"Two countries have agreed to give me the softest loan. It will be payable in 2025," he said, while giving assurances that the government has the money for defense assets as part of the military's modernization plan.

Duterte has told these two countries that he prefers assets that can be used to fight insurgencies and terrorism, particularly in Mindanao.

"Sabi ko sa kanila na I want weaponries and armaments, hindi ko kailangan 'yang mga jets, 'yang mga F-16 (I told them I want weaponries and armaments, I don't need jets, the F-16s), that's of no use to us. We don't intend to fight any country using that….Let's content ourselves with even the propeller-driven planes but which we can use extensively sa (in) anti-insurgency," he said.

Aside from "propeller-driven planes," he wants "short-run bombers" to counter internal threats.

F-16 jets, which Duterte said are unnecessary, were offered by the United States to the Philippines. The US has provided two warships – Alcaraz and Del Pilar – pending the Philippines' procurement of brand new ones.

The Philippines has no defense treaty or agreements with China and Russia. It has a Mutual Defense Treaty and an Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement with the US inked in 1951 and 2014, respectively.

Government-to-government deal

Duterte said he would only allow the "government-to-government" purchase of equipment and deals with "no strings attached."

"We can buy the arms where they are cheap and where there are no strings attached and it is transparent. I told them, I would not deal with you except on a government-to-government basis," the President said.

China, a potential source of Philippine defense assets under the Duterte administration, is in the middle of a maritime dispute with the Philippines.

It continues to reject an international arbitral tribunal's ruling that recognizes the Philippines' claim over the West Philippine Sea and not China's.

But Duterte made it clear he wants to use new military equipment for internal security threats such as terrorism in Mindanao which "could generate into a full-blown civil war."

Duterte assured the military that the modernization of the Armed Forces would continue under his administration.

"You will start your modernization further with me. Ibigay ko sa lahat sa inyo 'yung kailangan ninyo para talunin 'yung kalaban (I will give you everything you need to beat the enemy)," he said.

I admire the self resolve of this man to do what is best for his country i.e Peace and no war mentality

hats_off_to_you_sir__by_janholan-d8plmh3.png

A man who values , peace is with out doubt worthy of respect

The fact that you are living in the West means much.

There are certain things that are universal, such as food and water. Those you cannot deny. But if there are biological things that are universal, what make you think there are no intellectual things that are universal ?

Are you telling me that Filipinos do not want to express themselves ? Or want to read or travel without government interference ? Or more accountability and transparency in their government ?

What dictatorships have always fear have been those things among the people. We say these things are good for everyone. Just as you are free to say other things are good for everyone. You are perfectly free to say that slavish devotion to the government is good for everyone. So far only the Chinese believe that.

Nothing comes without cost. No sane person will say he wants less freedom, but at what cost? Take the freedom to possess weapons for example, knives are OK, guns are debatable, and nukes are strictly forbidden. Intellectual things are not universal because they're not necessary for survival, unlike biological needs. Instead, they always reside in shades of grey, and the we humans have been on the hunt for the perfect shade ever since we gained intellectual capacity to do so. It's mere hubris to think that you've arrived at the final answer when liberal democracy could very well have been a brief social experiment that would've ended in the '40s had it not been for the efforts of a one-off terra nova power.

Duterte Seeks Arms From China ... the president is playing the balance between U.S and China to seek the most benefit for his country, but CIA will try ways to make this man down.

I disagree, Chinese druglord already have huge losses in the Philippine . Police already uncovered assassination plot againts the Presisdent finance by chinese druglords
@jerry_tan

This is a very strong and inflammatory statement.

Can you backup your statement with some evidence please?

------
On a second note, please go to your profile and change your flags to reflect your nationality and location.

suffer what?

we are testing the new systems, if they performed dismally, then we will evaluate them and made our decision upon its

It's not like the mighty Philippine Navy got the chance to test firing of their missiles system in your life time

It's weird. Why are you bringing Indonesia to this thread? Should we answer, that will derail this thread

@jerry_tan

I have read through all the three articles.

Duterte said that some big druglords are based in China.

There were assassination plots against Duterte, financed by druglords. These druglords could be local. I didn't read anything that says that druglords from China are plotting against Duterte.

Police already uncovered assassination plot againts the Presisdent finance by chinese druglords

Please don't post statements that "Chinese druglords" financed the plots to assassinate Duterte. These druglords could be local filipinos. I see this as inflammatory.

Let's keep our discussion on this thread civil and without insinuations.

Back
Top Bottom