What's new

Duterte: China offering to build Manila-Clark railway in 2 years

Pinoy

Reaction score
Published June 21, 2016

He tells Filipino businessmen, 'Can you match the offer? Because if you cannot match the offer, I will accept the goodwill of China'

Chinese-Ambassador-davao-20160603-001_4DAD9467EF6A4EAC8BEDE107B3561B7A.jpg

PH-CHINA RELATIONS. Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jian meets with President-elect Rody Duterte in Davao City on June 2, 2016. File photo by Davao City government

DAVAO CITY, Philippines – China can build the Philippines a railway from Metro Manila to Clark, Pampanga in two years.

This was the offer made recently by Chinese diplomats to Philippine President-elect Rodrigo Duterte.

“The ambassador said, ‘We will do the railway immediately and we will solve your Clark-Manila railway. We’ll use the shortest way.' I don’t know how they’ll do it. But we will complete it in two years,” Duterte said during a speech on Tuesday, June 21.

The incoming president addressed businessmen and his own Cabinet appointees in a forum in Davao City.

The Chinese envoy also assured Duterte they have successfully built railways in Africa. They could do the same in Mindanao. Duterte, set to be the first Mindanaoan president, has said he will prioritize the construction of a railway for the southern island.

He said he reminded the Chinese representatives that he also wanted a railway from Tutuban, Manila to the Bicol region, and another one from Manila to Batangas.

Duterte had previously said his dream legacy would be to build these train lines for the Philippines.

Trains for natural resources?

On the campaign trail, Duterte had mentioned he would accept such train systems from China in exchange for agreeing to joint exploration of the disputed West Philippine Sea with the Asian economic giant.

But he said this recent offer from China did not come with talks on the maritime dispute.

“I was not ready to talk about [the dispute]. I was just asking how you can help us with the railway,” he said.

Duterte then asked the businessmen in the room: “Can you match the offer? Because if you cannot match the offer, I will accept the goodwill of China. My job is to see to it that the people are comfortable.

The president-elect is so serious about China’s proposal that he wants incoming Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade to go to China.

“Art Tugade has to go to China, not to talk about war, not to talk about irritations there, but to talk about peace,” he said.

But a source has told Rappler that Tugade and 6 other Cabinet members already visited China. But there were no details about the purpose of the trip.

Aside from more train lines to decongest traffic-ridden Metro Manila, Duterte is also mulling asking Congress for emergency powers to solve the Metro Manila traffic problem.

Tugade himself has said “radical” ideas are needed to fix the megacity’s transportation woes. – Rappler.com

http://www.rappler.com/nation/137177-duterte-china-build-manila-clark-railway

Last time I checked, China also tried to bid the same thing, back then it was called "North Rail Project".

Last time I check Philippines spend most their budget buying weapons, do they have extra money to build rail? No, we can't provide them with fund, that's a black hole risk.

walang naka-aangat sa batas kahit na Presidente! I wish the moron keeps that in mind

You're a naughty pinoy tsk tsk, be a good patriot and support your president.

And who are you to say that? You are not a citizen of the PH and we have the right and freedom to express what we think, unlike mainland China where freedom of expression will lead to imprisonment.

And who are you to say that? You are not a citizen of the PH and we have the right and freedom to express what we think, unlike mainland China where freedom of expression will lead to imprisonment.
we are all writing from 'prison'````:omghaha:

yeah, I am responding you from the "prison".

btw, the superb democracy and freedom of speech must make PH one of the strongest country on earth in terms of economy, science, manufacturing, infrastructure and military. it must also make PH a paradise that free of corruption and rebel groups. right?

upload_2016-6-22_14-14-19.png

Wow! President Duterte does have vision! IMHO, Duterte will be a good president for the Philippines. Time will tell.

If the railway is built from Clark ---> Manila ---> Batangas ---> Bicol, it will give Luzon Island a tremendous economic boost.

During the second stage, extend the railway further north to Baguio.

I suggest putting in a 250 kph HSR and not just an ordinary railway line. I think 250 kph should be affordable, don't go for the 350 kph.

business is business, if China can do it then why not accept?

Duterte is a smart fellow, he'll give the SCS to China on a platter because he knows they can't beat China and it's better to work with China than against them

When I see either a Filippino or an Indian imitate Western rhetoric and say that "we have freedom to say what we want..." blah blah blah, I cannot stop feeling bizzard. Where on earth can I find people who want to live in India or Phillipines to enjoy their freedom?.

Is this not correct that these dirty, low-IQ human want to run as far away from their motherland as possible to avoid the primitive living conditions, resulted from their freedom and democracy-elected governments.

Is this not correct that India and Phillipines were possibly among the richest colonies in the world when gaining independence in 1940s, and now, after nearly 80 years of "democracy", they are enjoying the most primitive living conditions and lowest education standard people can find on earth, bar sub-Saharan Africa.

Smart move by this Pinoy dude.If you can't defeat someone,better join him.

business is business, if China can do it then why not accept?

Duterte is a smart fellow, he'll give the SCS to China on a platter because he knows they can't beat China and it's better to work with China than against them

If its purely business why not but they be asking for our sovereignty and if duterte makes that call we have to impeach the traitor

Duterte then asked the businessmen in the room: “Can you match the offer? Because if you cannot match the offer, I will accept the goodwill of China. My job is to see to it that the people are comfortable.

That's one hell of a pragmatist fella.

And, if the contract is awarded, China can easily pull it off.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom